Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
pirate Radio Show on a Boat ?

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone around the world is doing a Music-Chat Radio show from a boat?? If not there soon will be! We hope to set sail on a 3 year trip in 2012 (property sale pending) and will broadcast on our way with interviews with people we meet as we travel and some great tunes, this will be broadcast to Ex pat radio stations on mainland Spain and the Canary Islands, you will be able to tune in on line! Ive already mentioned this forum on the show and some of your opinions on various issues including the Somalia Pirate problem! If you do fancy joining us Mon-Fri these are our network show times at the moment www.bayradio.fm Costa Almeria, Costa Blanca, Costa Valenciana 12-14.00hr cet, www.global.fm Costa Del Sol16.00-18.00hr cet, www.oasisfm.com Tenerife and Canary Islands 16-18hr gmt, If you are sailing in the areas of any of these stations their web pages have Frequency info, if you drop me a line am happy to play any requests, birthday wishes, etc!! We can also pass on any important Sailing Info through the show!! Cant wait to be out there with you all and thanks for the forum, ive learnt more reading on here than I think i could at any school!!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 13:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Radio Show on a Boat ?

Thanks for the links mate... will have a look see on Monday...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 14:02   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Radio Show on a Boat ?

Aaahh, memories of Radio Caroline, [you have to be an oldish Brit to remember this one]
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 14:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Aaahh, memories of Radio Caroline, [you have to be an oldish Brit to remember this one]

I worked with the late. great Tommy Vance, a good friend, he worked on Caroline as did Charlie Wolf who I worked with in London in 2005! What a life those guys had, they made a movie about it called ¨the boat that rocked¨! Well, our show is rocking, we have lots of listeners around the world who tune in, will play you a request on Mondays show boatman, will be inside the opening 20mins of any stations show!! We hope to interview all sorts or characters next year when we set sail, maybe a band in Sloppy Joe¨s Key west, etc, we think there must be tons of people who have a great story to tell! Just wondering what we should call our boat?
Old 12-03-2011, 15:27   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Or Dutch Mi Amigo, Veronica, Radio Noordzee, the Ross Revenge .. good times

ps: your VHF antenna will work for a nice little 3m Tx if you keep power under 10W heheh

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 17:51   #6

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Hmm. American Standards by the Sea comes to mind..
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 19:03   #7

Boat: Pearson 281

Noel Diotte runs coverunnerradio.com from his 30' Cape Dory Ketch based out of Redondo Beach here in SoCal. Music, photos, stories, poems. Been up and running for maybe 4 or 5 years. A lot of that time he was living on the hook from Santa Barbara to San Diego. He converted his port settee to a desk for computers, mixers etc. Great guy, hoping he got out of King Harbor before the tsunami hit there and they closed the port but I haven't heard from him yet. He's an excellent seaman, keeps his boat really well so I'm thinking he got away...
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 19:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the info on these guys (the link to coverrun does not seem to work?) its nice to know there are other broadcasters on the water! The only difference with our plan is that we will be on ¨tour¨and doing shows as we travel with local content! Hope Noel is OK!
Old 12-03-2011, 20:10   #9

Boat: Pearson 281

coverunner.tripod.com
Try this link.
Ought to be fun what you've got planned!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 04:00   #10
Marine Service Provider

OK, here we go with the 1st show of the day on www.bayradio.fm 12-14.00hr cet...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

We just took a step in the right direction by getting our Competent Crew Practical, I can only thank Nick, Dave and Clare at the RYA Allabroad Sailing school (www.asa.gi) in Gibraltar who were incredible, to do it out of Gibraltar was quite spectacular, traveling to 2 Marinas in Northern Africa as part of the course made and incredible 5 days! If you need to do a course I cant think of a more stunning location or a better team of people (ask for Nick who rocks as a teacher)! Anyway, back to the drawing board for me as we get ready for Day Skipper!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

good to hear you enjoyed it,hope the weather was good,any news on reliant spirit?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
good to hear you enjoyed it,hope the weather was good,any news on reliant spirit?

Hi Alastair, I had made a note but just had no time to do anything really, we spent a night in Ceuta and then on to Smir in Morocco so did not spend lots of time in GIB!! Jeez, that is a busy shipping area! Night time sailing was quite an experience, it looked more like Manhatten!! Had sunshine and went up to a F6 on way to Ceuta, we were on board a Bavaria 44 which touched 9.2Knots...am now going through the 124 Emails i got while away!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

yes crossing the tss can be interesting i have done it a few times in thick fog there,....... did they have any toys on the boat,chartplotter,ais,radar?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:23   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yes crossing the tss can be interesting i have done it a few times in thick fog there,....... did they have any toys on the boat,chartplotter,ais,radar?
Yes, all that stuff, they had 4 of us on board, 3 were doing Day Skipper and i was doing Competent Crew, I did not really touch Navigation this time but will obviously start that now with my Day Skipper studies! I was able to do some of the stuff the other 3 did like Rule of the road, night cruising, etc! I can only give this advice to anyone starting out, go and have some lessons, it is money well spent and it may save your life or someone elses one day, I have only just started sailing but learning from the experts has given me a new confidence, I really cant wait to get stuck into day skippper