Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 18:22   #1

Questions about going ashore while cruising

Hi.

I should start by saying I'm not a sailor. I don't have a boat. I'm writing a piece of fiction for myself about circumnavigating Australia in a 45-foot sailboat.

I have searched and searched and searched for general or detailed information about the cruising lifestyle--sailing one or two days from one point to another--and what is involved in, or possible when going ashore. I can't find information that answers my questions anywhere.

I have gleaned that cruisers tie up somewhere when they want to go ashore. It may be at a dock in a marina, or it may be at an anchoring buoy in a marina or protected bay (?), or it may be by anchoring an unspecified distance offshore.

I have gleaned that cruisers often use a dinghy or other watercraft to get from their offshore-anchored boat to shore, be it a beach, dock or marina, etc.

What I haven't been able to glean is how long you can stay ashore and under what conditions you can do so.

I want my characters to be able to go inland to explore, to take part in various activities, such as, say, skydiving, hiking, zip-lining, overnight camping, visiting zoos or museums, etc.

How realistic is it, or what are the considerations for extended (overnight, or multi-day/night) stays or excursions ashore?

I get that people go ashore to get supplies, groceries, meals, boat parts, etc. But I can't seem to find info about people going ashore and for how long for recreation and exploration.

Thanks for any info and enlightenment you can pass along.

Brian.
bkwdayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 18:28   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Questions about going ashore while cruising

Many variables, somewhat dependent on location and weather and attitude.

I’ve seen twits with borrowed boats toss an anchor, go ashore, and disappear for days.

If one is worried about the theft of dinghy or boat, it’s usually a short trip.

In the end, the boat is free lodging, great view, and probably loaded with food or booze. Most people go ashore to get groceries or dinner and return.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:41   #3

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

It's certainly feasible to go on day long adventures, and even multi-day adventures, if you are confident in the way you left your boat. If you are renting a slip at a marina, your boat is generally pretty secure and not likely to float away. You of course will want to make sure the lines and fenders are properly set for any likely weather, but sure, rent a car and go exploring, if you can afford it.

Another alternative is a rental mooring, from the town or from a marina. In countries like the US, these are generally well maintained, and can be trusted to hold your boat in most reasonable weather. So in this case, you can take your dinghy in to a town dock, or maybe the marina has a launch that can come pick you up, and then you can go exploring. In the case of a dinghy, you'd need to make sure the town or marina dinghy dock is ok with you leaving it there, and maybe locking it to their dock.

The other option is using the vessels own anchor and anchoring in a protected anchorage that you've selected. If you trust your anchor equipment and technique, then of course you will be confident in leaving the boat to explore. And again, if you are confident in how you left the boat, multi-day expeditions are not out of the question. The dinghy dock situation applies to this scenario.

As Tetepare mentioned, it is not unheard of for people to be confident in their anchoring when they shouldn't be, especially with charter clients. This can lead to disaster/excitement.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 18:47   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Gday Brian,
please dont take my response as being rude but I truly believe you are putting the horse before the cart so to speak. Can I suggest you get to your nearest yacht club and see if you can crew during the social races. There is so much to learn just sailing but also many of the answers you seek will be found at the same spot. There are many many books on cruising around Australia you just have to know where to look. There is no one book that covers everything your after.
If you do a search on this site such as anchoring in QLD or NSW you should find a plethora of private information and also state government regulations pertaining to anchoring and lengths of stay. I have been sailing for over 30 years and still learning so there infinite information out there.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 19:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

As is the case with many works of fiction, in specific fields, such as sailing, it is very hard for someone who doesn't really know the subject to write something with any air of authenticity. Of course, if the target reader doesn't know the subject, either, it does not matter, but my suggestion would be to find an experienced sailor or two to run the plot by, and, perhaps at intervals during the writing, but certainly at the end, have that or those person(s) read the whole thing to point out anything glaring that is just not realistic at all. That kind of mistake really ruins the read for anyone who knows the subject. Best of luck....hope it's a good story!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 19:11   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

We’ve got experience with living aboard and doing shore explorations and doing so in the Australian context in Queensland and Tasmania.

The options for mooring your boat in generally decreasing level of security are hard stand (on shore), marina berth (floating or fixed), public wharf or jetty (fixed or floating), pile moorings, public mooring bouys (these often have boat size and time limits), private mooring bouys (owned by clubs or individuals), anchoring.

Not all options are available everywhere (though both Queensland and Tasmania have plenty of public moorings in popular spots, and Tasmania also has lots of public fixed pile jetties) and some options cost money. The decision of whether to anchor or use one of the other available options comes down to how secure the area is if conditions change and how much money you want to spend (marina berths and private moorings). In general we prefer to anchor our boat because we trust what we can control and we don’t want to spend money on non essentials.

In general, going ashore for several minutes to several hours is for shopping (groceries, petrol, booze, etc) and recreation (short walk, picnic, local sightseeing, etc). Anchoring and leaving the boat for less than a day is common practice.

In our case, we don’t leave our boat unattended overnight if anchored.

If we want to leave the boat overnight or for several days and nights, say to rent a car and do some extended sight seeing and land-based activities, then we want our boat at least on a reliable mooring, or a jetty, or perhaps a marina berth.

If we plan to leave our boat for an extended period of time (say a month to fly overseas or really extended sight seeing) then pulling the boat out of the water and putting it in a hard stand is usually less expensive than a marina berth and safer than a jetty or mooring, but each of the four options is possible.

One often sees boats in very poor condition that look like they’ve been abandoned on their moorings and it’s always a sad sight. Sometimes those are live aboards who use their boat as a floating home and not as a boat.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 19:50   #7

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Maybe start a thread and post excerpts of your story. Anything sailing related, or just the bits where you feel like you’re on shaky ground, so to speak. Probably a tough crowd, but would be entertaining for all and informative for you.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 20:14   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

bkwdayton it really depends what your character is going to be like. Your only writing fiction so if the character is like Les Norton then I imagine he sails into an anchorage, then kicks the anchor overboard, finds a heavy on one of the boats anchored near by, knocks back a few brews with him before asking him to keep an eye on the yacht. Then the heavy motors Les motors ashore. Les then spends a few days rooting and booting and having a couple of blues before heading back to the yacht. Where Les gets picked up by the heavy and has another session with him before heading back to his own yacht. The next morning Les has done a Harold Holt and his yacht is no where to be seen.
Now if your couple is rolling in it then anything goes. Fair suck of the sav but it's only fiction and a fist full of pineapples can buy you almost anything in the marine world.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 20:43   #9

You’re writing fiction, right?
Real life sailors are mostly very conscientious about leaving their vessel safely moored, but in your endeavor, you’ve got license to take your story away from the boat for extended periods without consequences, so let your imagination roam!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 21:00   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwdayton View Post
I have gleaned that cruisers tie up somewhere when they want to go ashore. It may be at a dock in a marina, or it may be at an anchoring buoy in a marina or protected bay (?), or it may be by anchoring an unspecified distance offshore.

I have gleaned that cruisers often use a dinghy or other watercraft to get from their offshore-anchored boat to shore, be it a beach, dock or marina, etc.

Marina-- expensive, typically $1-$2 per boat foot per night; longer term (week/month) rates can be lower. Some areas have free dockage either for short periods (lunch) or (less often) overnight. Sailors use marinas in areas where there are no other viable choices, when leaving the boat overnight, for maintenance, when cost is no object, when sailing a smaller boat that has no dinghy, or as a convenience when there is a good deal of material to move on and off the boat.

Mooring--most sailors avoid but in some areas anchoring is prohibited so mooring is the only alternative to a slip, or in some cases the only alternative at all. Usually there is a fee but it is less than a marina.

Anchor--modern boats with modern anchors can remain at anchor for any duration, though bad weather, current changes, and wind changes can break the anchor loose and even with modern anchors there is some risk the anchor will not reset and will drag. Sometimes especially on larger boats someone stays aboard while others are ashore. With a dinghy shore trips for groceries or sightseeing are common, overnight is not common without a responsible person watching the boat.

Quote:
I want my characters to be able to go inland to explore, to take part in various activities, such as, say, skydiving, hiking, zip-lining, overnight camping, visiting zoos or museums, etc.

How realistic is it, or what are the considerations for extended (overnight, or multi-day/night) stays or excursions ashore?

Depends. Most people doing that would leave the boat in a slip unless they had someone aboard staying with the boat. There are exceptions.
Old 21-02-2022, 03:36   #11

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I think you should go watch some of the YouTube sailing channels, you'll find people doing exactly the things you're looking for.

I like SailBoat Story, nice little family in the Bahamas. Or Beau and Brandy Sailing. Or Sam Holmes, the guy is super down to earth real.

Don't watch mine for that stuff, I haven't gone anywhere yet ! Lol

Old 21-02-2022, 09:42   #12

have someone with sailing experience proof your work for proper terms and technique. Applying the terms you used in the context you used them in would destroy any authenticity of your hard work.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 11:26   #13

Question Re: Questions about going ashore while cruising

By no means should my comment be interpreted as a criticism. However, don’t both fiction as well as non-fiction writers usually write about their own personal experiences? You know, Ernest Hemingway’s experience with driving an ambulance, in Italy, during the First World War. By no means am I a writer, but I would feel completely lost writing about piloting an aircraft due to my never having flown one before.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 12:09   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwdayton View Post
Hi.

I should start by saying I'm not a sailor. I don't have a boat. I'm writing a piece of fiction for myself about circumnavigating Australia in a 45-foot sailboat.

I have searched and searched and searched for general or detailed information about the cruising lifestyle--sailing one or two days from one point to another--and what is involved in, or possible when going ashore. I can't find information that answers my questions anywhere.

What I haven't been able to glean is how long you can stay ashore and under what conditions you can do so.

I get that people go ashore to get supplies, groceries, meals, boat parts, etc. But I can't seem to find info about people going ashore and for how long for recreation and exploration.

Thanks for any info and enlightenment you can pass along. Brian.
Next to actually taking a sailing voyage yourself perhaps the closest you could find what you seek is watching the plethora of sailing videos that are now available on YouTube. While many are more aligned to touring rather than the technicalities sailing you will get the picture. Perhaps the most famous is "Delos" which also, from time to time, gives some very practical advice. I have not watch in some time as it has turned to primarily a family tourist theme as of late.

One avenue is to just write your novel and have a sailor of some measure read it to correct those places of error. For my part there is nothing more upsetting than to read a novel or watch a movie and experience the obvious proof that the author or screen writer didn't know what he was talking about...it ruins the story.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 12:12   #15

Boat: Alerion Express 28

There is a great movie --Captain Ron with Kirk Russell-- that will teach you everything you need for your book. Good luck.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising