Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2019, 22:53   #1

Outdoor TV inside a yacht

Hello. I'm pleased to be part of this community. I hope you can share your thoughts kindly. Do you think outdoor tv inside a yacht is a good idea? I'm looking for several tv companies that allows installations of tv in a yacht. I came across with this brand, Cosmos Outdoor TV that offers ceiling mounts for outdoor tvs for yachts. Going back to the main question, do you think it is a good idea for entertainment purposes? Thank you!
AbieJOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 23:16   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Outdoor TV inside a yach

Inside the boat? Save some cash and buy a regular TV.... we have a 43 inch mounted in the saloon, works great.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 17:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Inside the boat? Save some cash and buy a regular TV.... we have a 43 inch mounted in the saloon, works great.
Yes, planning to mounted it on a the dining area but anyway, may I know which tv is that or brand? Thanks.
AbieJOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Outdoor TV inside a yacht

Get a good brand of TV meant for a house.
Our’s are Samsung “smart” TV’s. To me the picture quality of a Samsung looked the best of the TV’s in Best Buy.
The Smart function means it can connect to WiFi directly and play movies that way, without additional boxes.

Go to store that has many TV’s on display and pick one that has the features and picture quality you like. I also wanted a thin one, that had as little frame around the display area as possible.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:52   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbieJOe View Post
Yes, planning to mounted it on a the dining area but anyway, may I know which tv is that or brand? Thanks.
Sure, like the above poster, we go with Samsung. But do make sure it has Wifi... sooner or later you'll get a wifi booster or hotspot (if you dont have them already) and you can watch netflix
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:17   #6

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Outdoor TV inside a yacht

No need to buy an expensive "outdoor" tv to use in the cabin. You can replace a regular tv several times for what it cost for an outdoor rated one.

A better questions is what do you want to watch? Basically you have three sources: OTA programming with an antenna, streaming (like Netflix), or recorded movies or shows (DVD etc.). With the first, it's all about the antenna. For other than use in a slip, you need an amplified omni-direction antenna. For streaming, you need a good WiFi signal. A cell phone as a hotspot will work as long as you have a good plan with LOTS of data. For recorded material, there are more options today beyond DVDs like DVRs with hard disks or high capacity flash drives.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Sure, like the above poster, we go with Samsung. But do make sure it has Wifi... sooner or later you'll get a wifi booster or hotspot (if you dont have them already) and you can watch netflix

We are in the Bahamas now, and have a KVH-TV5 satellite dish.
However in the Bahamas Aliv has an almost unlimited plan, 300 Gb a month for $130. If you can get to 300 Gb they just throttle you like Verizon does at 15 Gb or whatever.
We just use the phone’s hotspot to connect to the TV and watch Netflix. Haven’t even turned on the Satellite in a couple of weeks.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:47   #8

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I think next time I have a boat, I'll go with a small projector rather than a typical TV. I have a Moto zforce phone that has a projector thingy with it that I carry on road trips, works great, much better picture than I expected. Along with a Bluetooth speaker.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:49   #9

Boat: Cal 33-2

One comment about the WiFi recommendations above. That means you are talking about a "smart" TV. In my experience, the apps in smart TVs and their support is mediocre at best. For under $50 a better option is a Roku stick. Opens up endless options beyond those in a smart TV and Roku is far better at upgrading its software compared with the TV mfrs. Products by Amazon, Apple and Google are also options, but I like Roku.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:26   #10

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Many newer TV's (especally those under about 32 inches) power with an external transformer and actually run on 12 volts. If you use one of these you can usually get away without having to run an inverter or genset.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote