Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 01:57   #16
cruiser

Re: On board entertainment for a couple

My wife loves her binoculars with built in stabilizer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:58   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
fishing, it has always amazed me, that when I am on a boat, everyone can sit being bored out of there heads, then when someone drops a hook over the side, next thing, everyone is fishing, it passes hours, boring if you are not catching, but when catching starts. I have even been on a boat in dock, where one person put a line over the side, within an hour, about ten people had lines out, we even went on to the dock to walk further down to try, and the people on the next boat (from Denmark) came and asked us if we could give them some line, and hooks, (because they saw us fishing) then they started fishing from there boat.
My favorite boat fishing story.

At anchor in a harbor, on the edge of evening with a rising tide. Started casting with a topwater plug. A local on a boat next to mine sneered "You know, you're not going to catch anything here..." about three seconds before a 20 lb. striped bass erupted and hooked himself good. The look on the guy's face was priceless.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:18   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Learn a new language, together?

-Chris
Old 10-09-2017, 06:23   #19

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Music. Duets. Your choices: Recorder, guitar, ukelele, bagpipe, percussion, (electric) piano, flute, brass instruments, mandolin, penny whistle, violin, viola (Think MASTER AND COMMANDER). And then, there's singing....
Bagpipes are always popular in a quiet anchorage as the sun comes up..

Sent from mTalk
Old 10-09-2017, 07:23   #20

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Rainy days are reserved for Lonesome Dove DVD marathons, but we mostly stay active all day. Boat repairs/maintenance for me in the morning while the boss takes care of the household duties. We usually go for a swim or two, and spend some time on the paddle boards every day. Sometime go for an adventure in the little boat to do some hiking or the like. Our 9 year old is almost always with us, but she is quite the rummy player and is starting to whip me at Scrabble. As you can see from my avatar, we do a bit of water color painting, as well. The admiral and I did have the boat to ourselves for a couple days last week, so the adult/couple oriented time killers were easier to achieve than what is typical with a boat load of crew. There have been times when the time killer/game was coming up with a covert plan to engage in the aforementioned R/X rated adult activities. Putting said plan into action takes it to a whole new level of gamesmanship.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38   #21

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Don't think I can help you, but thought I would share anyway!

You described our onboard activities to a "T" in your original post.
We mostly read, hang out, go for walks/rows, enjoy the evening sky, etc.

Have never been bored a single day in our lives!

I think the key for us is that we have deliberately slowed way down - as an example, it's currently 10:30 AM; we got up around 7:30, I made a big pot of coffee, we had breakfast and have been sitting around reading and enjoying a few cups of coffee... we're just now getting to the breakfast dishes! By the time we make the bed and get everything tidied up, it will be time to start thinking about what to make for lunch!

Obviously all of this varies based on where we are; when we're down in the Keys, we swim, snorkel and I occasionally dive. I'm not a "fisherman", but I do enjoy wetting a line every now and again, so if we're in an area where the fish are running, I'll do that.

In other areas, we hike and/or explore the town... but to my earlier point, we mostly enjoy the moment!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:55   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

If you dock in towns, shopping, museums, restaurants or just talking to the local people. Anchored, take the dinghy around to explore or to the beach. Or, go visit other anchored boats. Watching TV is sometimes an option but of course you can do that at home.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:57   #23

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Music. Duets. Your choices: Recorder, guitar, ukelele, bagpipe, percussion, (electric) piano, flute, brass instruments, mandolin, penny whistle, violin, viola (Think MASTER AND COMMANDER). And then, there's singing....
Roy beat me to it. Playing or just singing to recorded music will be something to enjoy.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:32   #24

Boat: Taswell 43

While we have a hi-gain TV antennae, we do not regularily get a TV signal. If we do-we watch TV in the evening. But over the years we've copied movies we liked onto a 3 TB HD, and with a Brite-View Playtime (BV-3100) player, we connect the HD to the TV, and watch movies. Very small footprint, lots of storage, and works well. We also copied our 600+ CD music collection onto an IPOD, so we can listen to our favorite music anytime-again, with a very small footprint. We also bought a MiFi, buy a data card for whatever country we happen to be in, and enjoy reasonable WiFi/internet...as long as we keep the data sim card topped up! Works for us!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:50   #25

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Have you thought of playing Battleships? It's a cracking game and easily played by two.

I also have a flageolet and a Ukelele on my boat. I still need to learn how to tune and then play the Ukelele though and then find a female companion who both sails and plays the flageolet (or I suppose the Ukelele).

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:11   #26

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Beer. ...Beer. ...Beer
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Learn a new language, together?

-Chris
Excellent suggestion!!!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24   #28

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

We have found that purchasing either HBO series or TV series (DVD's) works really well for us. We don't want to spend 2-3 hours a night watching one movie, so the series work well, since they typically last one hour or so. The series give you a continuing theme to carry over from one night to the next. We highly recommend The Wire, Downton Abbey, Mad Men, Big Love, etc. Most of them are between 5-7 seasons so you really get your money's worth if you buy a boxed set.

Another thing you could consider is learning a new language via DVD. Spanish certainly comes in handy as you head south.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:39   #29

Boat: Boatless

CHESS, lots of chess!

(And yes, my first thought was X rated as well) :-)

Boat projects for me, cooking for her. She is a cleaner as well, loves to clean.

We generally have a series like 24 or Sapranos, etc and snuggle in before bed and watch an episode or three together.

Yoga the other one.

Good question, love reading the responses!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48   #30

I don't watch TV per se, as in the sense of live TV, as most of whats on is garbage and I can't stand commercials. Same at home.

I make an exception for PBS news, and when PBS shows quality British shows like Victoria and Endeavor.

However, we love watching mini-series and movies on the boat, either on DVD, Bluray, or download.

Netflix let you download to a device now. I have an iphone to HDMI cable, so I can watch what I've downloaded on the LCD TV. Just done watching all 6 seasons of Breaking Bad that way - downloaded them at home, watched them on the boat.

Could I suggest Hornblower on DVD. Has plenty of sailing in it, and also lots of swashbuckling action.

Some other favourite boxed sets I own :

Rome
Prime Suspect
Wire in the Blood (fantastic!)
The Killing (original Nordic version)
The Bridge (ditto)
Sherlock

You can also do Redbox if there's one near to your dock / marina.

Tags
men