Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 10:31   #46

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Ok...Fishing Rigs

Your daddy had gills? Er....one of your previous boats wouldn't happen to have been a ratty trimaran with a weird vertical axis turbine on the mast, and a spinnaker winch rigged for diving? Hmmmmm........
Old 21-02-2013, 10:56   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a very simple method i learned inmexico after i sailed with a self proclaimed fisherman in gom, and broke 3 of his good rods and one reel.....i use only a line of 100 or 200 pound test--is blue braided stuff, with a plastic, heavy, leader, and a lure rigged with feathers of the color of dorado--yellow and green. in cold water, blue an dpink worked well. i place this line on my shroud with a pair of half hitches around the shorud, then add a slip knot with large loop. when i have a fish well set on line, i pull it in hand over hand. if i wait too long, it is half eaten by something larger...
i usually catch most of my dinners while trolling in ocean more than 10 miles out..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:35   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thought I would recharge this thread with a question. I'm looking at Penn deep sea reels (used) at the moment. In particular a Penn Senator 4 and a Senator 6. The 6 of course being larger. Is there a size which is too large? I want something large enough to catch Dorado or Tuna, yet versatile enough to fish for smaller game. I thought of getting a Cuban yoyo but want more of a fishing experience. Your experience is appreciated.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:45   #49

cs--i no longer use a rod and reel set up because i broke 3 rods and 2 reels(penn) in the gom while i sailed with a friend---all i can say is it is a good thing they were not mine--but i did have a lot of help from fish on the other end....
i now use just a mexican set up--100 ft or so of 100 or 200 pound test with a nice lure on it--in cold water i used a magenta and indigo lure the fishies loved--i tied a slipknot in the line between the shroud and th e potential fish, and secured the line to shroud. i could see from inside boat or from outside when i caught a fishie, as knot went away, and i hand over hand boated my dinner....i wore gloves with nonskid palms and fingers.....did not lose a hooked fish.
Old 20-03-2013, 09:45   #50

I appreciate the input and I'm sure I might have the same as your experience but I'm doing it anyways. So maybe the Penn 6.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-03-2013, 11:38   #51

Also, I'd like to know about a rod too. I think short, stout with rokllers rather than eyes. Am I correct?
Old 21-03-2013, 15:46   #52

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Yes. Big & stout and more than one. A 200# tuna will bite and break your stuff if you do like I did.
Old 21-03-2013, 23:19   #53

I'll put a sign on my hook..."Wanted...a smaller fish. 2.4 cu. ft. to fit in my fridge".
Old 21-03-2013, 23:37   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Ok...Fishing rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Just a hand line from the aft taft rail. 100 lb mono, 6ft steel leader, a few different lures, mostly troll a old wooden plug thats sorta yellow!! a simple bungee cord makes the hook up all by it's self!! We fed ourselfs and a few others for years with this rig ! Gave up poles, to hard to store and hard to use from the deck of a sail boat !! Try a simple hand line ya will glad ya did !!
+1
Only thing I would add is to tie a little dingle bell to the bungee cord and to use a small squeeze of denatured alcohol into the gills instead of going ballistic with the catch

less blood on the decks!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 23:53   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Of course.. they have other methods in the Philippines

HowStuffWorks "Up Close and Dangerous: Dynamite Fishing"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 06:41   #56

dynamite fishing yields ceviche sans the need for cutting up the fish....is a reddichopped mix...
Old 22-03-2013, 11:53   #57

Boat: csy 37

i've found some good rods/reels etc at garage sales and flea markets and a fraction of the new price.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 16:45   #58

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Martin,
All I've ever used at sea is a BobandConnie rig. It caught fish daily while crossing to the mainland. I don't know about going south though. Might be different.
The smaller the lure the smaller the fish. I liked to just catch what we could eat in a day or two. Breakfast, lunch, dinner for 4. Got old about the end of the second week out. Had to open a few cans of Spam.
later,
Old 23-03-2013, 08:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Martin,
All I've ever used at sea is a BobandConnie rig.
You put Bob and Connie on your rig and trolled with it???...How could you!!!
Old 23-03-2013, 11:43   #60

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Well, they complained a lot but not for long.

Just kidding of course. Bob and Connie use handlines like I used to. Need to get my old lures wet again so I'll bring some to Sand Diego.

kind regards,