Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2021, 11:51   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Offshore fishing

Not sure if this is the right forum, but couldn't find a better. So here I am.

We are heading Down East from the Chesapeake (and back) this summer. Was going to be the Down East Circle, but COVID has all the borders closed. We'll still have fun.

I intend to try and catch some offshore fish. I trolled a line as a kid for a few thousand miles and never caught anything...but hope springs eternal.

So, here's the question. Since I was a kid, I think rules have changed. Licenses are rather universal. And I philosophically agree with licenses, especially for active fishermen (I have bit of a problem having to buy a license for a single day of casual fishing -- and so I generally don't fish). We will be transiting 9 states in total.

How do people handle licenses? Ignore them? How far out does a state lay claim -- if I'm 3 miles out, do I need one? Does anyone notice a sailboat with a line over the transom? Do I pick one or two states and not fish in the rest? Do I mail order 9 states worth of licenses before I leave? Do I need one for each of us (if the line is hanging of the transom, who needs a license?).

Like I said, I generally agree with license. But 9 states? And with my childhood track record, no fish?

My frustration is that I'll buy 9 licenses and fish less than a buddy of mine who will never leave the Annapolis area -- he'll fish all summer on one license (and fill his freezer and give even more away). My bang-for-buck is an issue... LOL.

Again, what do folks do trolling in US waters?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 12:22   #2

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Offshore fishing

Well, I've done a bit of research to answer my own question. Or at least, enhance it.

License fees run from free (NY and NJ) to $22.50 (DE), and total to $89 for all 9 states. Some states (New England) allow reciprocity across about 4 or 5 (I forget) but it appears to apply only to resident licenses -- I can't get an MA license and fish ME, RI, and CT because I'm not a resident of MA.

It appears that the states only require a license out to 3 miles, but if I catch something, I need a license before I come inside 3 miles.

It appears that the Feds require two types of registration (that may or may not be included in state licenses) -- a general federal license, and one for "highly migratory fish" including Tuna. The Fed licenses I think are free.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 14:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
It appears that the states only require a license out to 3 miles, but if I catch something, I need a license before I come inside 3 miles.

Does that apply if you caught it while offshore from a different state?
Does that include fillets in your freezer?

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 15:50   #4

A lot of practical advice on fishing rules, and regulations:

https://thefishingsailor.com/rules-and-regulations/

Including a discussion about what to do about that fish in your freezer...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, offshore