Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2013, 15:28   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: New Live aboard couple - games you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRUN View Post
Now I do have an additional proposal:

Bohnanza by Uwe Rosenberg

While cruising at sea, Bohnanza places you firmly back ashore. - It is a card game about planting, trading and selling 11 different kinds of BEANS. You try to collect and plant various types of beans to sell for gold. There are always new beans to plant and each player has limited growing space. To avoid planting unwanted beans, players need to trade amongst themselves.

The gameplay involves very little luck, it is a serious strategy and negotiation game.
I promise that your IQ and your honed business skills might turn out to be outmatched by the social skills of one of your "unexperienced" kid players - watch out. No adult experience advantages, no lucky "Jail" or "Sorry" cards but also never no "turning the board over" frustration.
Find yourself in the midst of a bean trading war at your dinner table, maybe with embargoes against "the bossman" while other players get away with creating a bean cartel.

...and YES the business-tycoon couple that would never touch a boardgame turn out to be neglecting our "Brunello di Montalcino" in their fight for supremacy. - SERIOUS FUN - (like Catan)

P.S.: Don't know what you mean with "A" addition for CATAN but SEAFARER of course comes to mind 1st.

P.P.S.: Now for those in the thread that are still on "Scrabble" and "Monopoly" ,
(or mAh dependend)
here's what Erik Wecks of WIRED had to say about "Settlers of Catan".
"Somewhere along the way, someone has probably introduced you to the board game version of cocaine, The Settlers of Catan. If the sales figures and stats are to be believed, you got addicted. Without a doubt, Settlers is a modern classic, the Monopoly of today. The game hits the family game sweet spot in almost every way. You can play it over and over again without feeling bored, and it appeals to a wide audience, from children at age 9 to grandparents aged 69."
But isn't it really determined by the turn of the cards in the stack?
Old 19-09-2013, 16:26   #47

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
UNO no one plays Uno anymore???
We do and I was going to post it until I got to your post.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 16:33   #48

Boat: Beneteau 473
We have a game called spot (card game) that is pretty fun. Backgammon. Scrabble, but hubby is balking at this lately because his dyslexic wife keeps beating him -- how embarrassing! Uno. When the kids visit we play Rook.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 00:09   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'm not adverse to Solitaire (on the computer) from time to time while my significant other finds Facebook entertaining.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13   #50

Boat: Sparkman & Stephens Deb 33 - Design 1873 MkII deep keel - 1974 UK/Dutch built version Tartan 34C

Just taught my wife Backgammon. Nevertheless we're even at 2 all.

I won't play checkers at all unless I have to. She always beats me!
BoomBrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game