Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 19:43   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: New Live aboard couple - games you play?

No hide the salami yet, surprised.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:13   #17
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Caveat: we are a family with a 9 year old boy, and we play a lot of board games at home (no TV).

We have a mono, and a three folding leaf table. We have to have a platform for larger board games that spans the fiddles (which can cause issues if it's rolly). That being said, Carcasonne is one of our favorites. As is "ticket to ride." We have this really cool cardboard book that is a bunch of two player games. Added bonus it fits between the main table leaves, but we usually play it in the cockpit. Monopoly is fun, and good for the math practice.

The admiral and I occasionally play cards after the boy goes to sleep, but we usually find ourselves just hanging out and talking. Life gets so crazy sometimes that our boat times are spent just enjoying each other's company.

Here's a pic of the boy reading during an inter-island passage. You can see the game book under his reading book. It's down at the boat or I'd look up the exact title...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3049317974.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	67342

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 20:30   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Does nobody play Boggle anymore?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 22:24   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I have a 30 yr cribb game still going on ! Pretty even LOL, seems like we played some regular board games back when the kids were aboard with us ! But now we just play cribb when we have the time !! at least once a day if anchored up. Less at sea! We still have some other games aboard, but only play them when others come by to vist! only then if they can't play cribb 4 handed ! LOL
Old 16-09-2013, 23:47   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There are many games consenting adults can play. One of our favorites is learning and practicing new knots

If you get bored with that (can one get bored with that?) then chess is excellent.

We also carry a petanque set. Lots of marinas (in europe) have a court and it is fun to play - but I would rather practice knots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 03:59   #21

Boat: Catana 42

Over a bottle of red and top home made curry I have been reading aloud to my Captain the responses from my question.

My response to all you wonderful repliers, to whom I say thanks!

1. I have laughed out laughed on several occasions. - that is a top marks response
2. Yes my question is fitting for board games as much as it is for learning new ropes - I hope to be working on both on our new adventure

3. I am so not musical on the creative way, I do however listen to all manner of music all day and evening. TV is a rare almost extinct beast in our home
I plan to gain my creative outlet by documenting the journey on the do doing and done via a personal journey website.

4. When we do go away we always make time for a good game of something and our current favourite is a game called sequence, canasta five and 500.

5. I promise to look into all referred games to play except scrabble - I hated spelling at school and under pressure I seem to get worse!

Three cheers and thanks from me the MISS
misscatana.com
The Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 04:31   #22

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Miss,
we have been cruising on small trailable yachts to our 38 ft yacht now and a game that we purchased for $2 in one of those bargain shops has come with us on each boat. Its called connect four and it has kept my wife and kids entertained for many hours over the years. Many think its a simple game until you get serious over a red or two and then your starting to think of tactics. Its very much our favourite game and takes up little space.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 04:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

It's the 21st century. No Scrabble for me.
OK for a chick who works on websites it has only @ this point occurred to be me to be an on board gamer! Doh!!!
Great link will have to consider - only issue is it may be the end of a beautiful thing with my Captain if I take up gaming....

Cheers I agree about scrabble as well.

the Miss
misscatana.com
Old 17-09-2013, 04:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Miss,
we have been cruising on small trailable yachts to our 38 ft yacht now and a game that we purchased for $2 in one of those bargain shops has come with us on each boat. Its called connect four and it has kept my wife and kids entertained for many hours over the years. Many think its a simple game until you get serious over a red or two and then your starting to think of tactics. Its very much our favourite game and takes up little space.
I used to love connect four as a kid playing with siblings. No idea what happened to this game though. A great game I used to love. A must hunt down and gather item.

As to your word serious if you mean totally absolutely crazy competitive when playing.... at times it has been know to be "serious" in our house so yes connect four will work.

Cheers the Miss
misscatana.com
Old 17-09-2013, 04:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
4. When we do go away we always make time for a good game of something and our current favourite is a game called sequence, canasta five and 500.
In this case have a look @ BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000
(warning website IS geeky)

My personal favourite would be the original of the "Settlers of Catan" boardgame universe.

Best played with a visiting couple - for the 2 of you take the cardgame.

A fair word of warning.
Two player games always have a clear "Looser"...and a ship is confined territory

vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 05:01   #26

OK lets get the ground rules straight I the Miss "am hand on heart truly geeky". Ask my children they will confirm this is so...

you favourite pick - catan only needs an A addition and then it is perfect for the miss so I must seek and gather!

Thanks for link, only a quick look on the site but I find out that discworld has a board game from witches. I love these books so will investigate further.

Top advice Cheers
the Miss
misscatana.com
Old 17-09-2013, 05:24   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Live aboard couple - games you play?

Strip Scrabble and Chess...
I like to take my time

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 05:57   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.garlick View Post
My wife and I like scrabble. I don't enjoy cards or games of chance, but Scrabble keeps the brain engaged.
Yes, Scrabble is great. They make a mini travel set that is perfect for the boat.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 06:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
OK lets get the ground rules straight I the Miss "am hand on heart truly geeky". Ask my children they will confirm this is so...

Now I do have an additional proposal:

Bohnanza by Uwe Rosenberg

While cruising at sea, Bohnanza places you firmly back ashore. - It is a card game about planting, trading and selling 11 different kinds of BEANS. You try to collect and plant various types of beans to sell for gold. There are always new beans to plant and each player has limited growing space. To avoid planting unwanted beans, players need to trade amongst themselves.

The gameplay involves very little luck, it is a serious strategy and negotiation game.
I promise that your IQ and your honed business skills might turn out to be outmatched by the social skills of one of your "unexperienced" kid players - watch out. No adult experience advantages, no lucky "Jail" or "Sorry" cards but also never no "turning the board over" frustration.
Find yourself in the midst of a bean trading war at your dinner table, maybe with embargoes against "the bossman" while other players get away with creating a bean cartel.

...and YES the business-tycoon couple that would never touch a boardgame turn out to be neglecting our "Brunello di Montalcino" in their fight for supremacy. - SERIOUS FUN - (like Catan)

P.S.: Don't know what you mean with "A" addition for CATAN but SEAFARER of course comes to mind 1st.

P.P.S.: Now for those in the thread that are still on "Scrabble" and "Monopoly" ,
(or mAh dependend)
here's what Erik Wecks of WIRED had to say about "Settlers of Catan".
"Somewhere along the way, someone has probably introduced you to the board game version of cocaine, The Settlers of Catan. If the sales figures and stats are to be believed, you got addicted. Without a doubt, Settlers is a modern classic, the Monopoly of today. The game hits the family game sweet spot in almost every way. You can play it over and over again without feeling bored, and it appeals to a wide audience, from children at age 9 to grandparents aged 69."
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 07:35   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I hope we never lose the appeal for board games over the desensitizing death and destruction vidiot games
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game