Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2014, 04:35   #46

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: My Message in a Bottle, Found

It’s heartening that people take littering so seriously – truly, but to be so self righteous over a message in a bottle –seriously? By that standard, aren’t we boaters all guilty of polluting? Diesel exhaust, outboard engine exhaust, grey and black waste water, bottom paint, hull/deck/teak/metal cleaners (Simple Green is nasty stuff) are all pollutants that end up in the water. What about after a passage and the trash beautifully managed underway is brought to shore? In much of the coastal world it’s burned locally. Nasty smelling, thick black smoke made up of toxic particulates that end up in the sea.

We have a no pollution policy on Totem. We’ve collected garbage in remote islands and urban places from Mexico to Thailand. In Australia, Ian Kiernan (leading Aussie environmentalist) made a personal visit to my 3 children in recognition for their self-motivated cleanup efforts in Sydney Harbor. My son won an essay competition in Sydney – the subject was ocean trash. Still, I must confess that we aboard Totem – pollute –with exhaust and chemicals and yes once, putting a message in a bottle at sea.

After reading the OP, I stepped out on deck and counted the floating trash around Totem. I stopped at 100 (plus an oily sheen) – and we’re in a new and clean marina. Welcome to SE Asia. After nearly two years in the region, it’s still hard to comprehend the staggering quantity of pollution that is put to sea daily. In Jaya Pura Indonesia, for example we saw literally tens of thousands pieces of synthetic trash float out to sea –every damn day. In small villages people throw plastic and batteries into the sea. They’re not bad people, they just don’t know better. We’ve talked to people across SE Asia about the problem of pollution– plastik tidak bagus (plastic is no good) –as polluters ourselves of course. It’s not a preachy, egocentric, holier than though, pedantic rant - more like a friendly infomercial about ill effects of plastic in the water. I guess that makes us self righteous, hypocrites. Sorry, we really work to keep our footprint down but we’re not perfect. Nor are you. There are better ways to direct clean up the ocean attitudes, than bickering over a message in a bottle.
Old 30-07-2014, 04:56   #47

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I agree with you totem but what I can't agree on is the cruising association/ ARC rallies saying to yachtsmen/women oh yes by the way you can throw this and this over board on our way to destination A

if you can carry the stuff on board in the first place you can carry it to your destination And then dispose of it in the right manner
Old 30-07-2014, 05:23   #48
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

And now the technical:

Wend how did you seal the bottle up?
Old 30-07-2014, 05:35   #49

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I don't suggest a message in a bag from bagged wine, the turtles mistake them for jellyfish eat them and die, on the plus side turtle is pretty tasty

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-07-2014, 05:39   #50
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Last time I went to the beach I saw someone in a glass bottle toss a fibreglass boat over the side and left it floating around. I didn't see any message in it but I did see it washed up in a marina a few hours later. No one bothered to pick it and put in the trash can. Don't they know that fibreglass doesn't degrade and kills marine life.

Bludi polluters
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-07-2014, 05:45   #51

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We are very conscious of our footprint on land and on sea and would never litter either place, however.....I have no problem with this one. First of all, the glass bottle, if it gets broken and ends up on the bottom it is inert, whether or not it decomposes, it still has no detrimental effect on the sea life or environment. The note paper will certainly decompose quickly enough. If it doesn't get broken and ends up getting found it is likely a treasure and a good story to tell for someone for a very long time. If it ends up getting broken on a beach it will be beach glass eventually which is highly coveted to many collectors. Compared to the tons of other crap floating around out there I find this particular piece of trash to not only be non-offensive, but have an appeal of sorts. I would love to find one myself someday.
Old 30-07-2014, 05:48   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
And now the technical:

Your not suggesting she would drink wine from a screw top bottle are you
Old 30-07-2014, 05:52   #53

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

My nephews love scouring the shore for sea glass. I suspect most "messages in a bottle" end up that way.

While recently exploring an uninhabited island in a populated bay, we spotted many rocks that clearly did not belong -- large chunks of marble and granite in an area full of glacially deposited sedimentary rock. Upon inquiry, I learned that over the centuries construction debris was dumped in the bay. I suppose some would say the marble and granite was littering. To me, it shows how the effects of man are (almost) everywhere on this planet.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:02   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: My Message in a Bottle, found

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Nice try
Poor rebutal. Aside from asthetics, what specifically are the negative environmental impacts of glass? There are many of plastics.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:19   #55

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
While I was crossing the Atlantic with the ARC, I wrote messages in about 10 wine bottles. I tossed them at different points, but all before the halfway point. So at least 1500 miles away from land.
I just got a call from a man in Florida who was fishing 20 miles offshore. He saw some fish huddled around my bottle and he picked it up! It had some barnacles on it and he read my note and called me.

I am quite giddy about having the first bottle found. The rest are making their way to landfall soon! It was 8 months ago that I tossed overboard.
I guess the fish were enjoying it on it's way.
Wendi,

I think this is great! It's amazing to think that bottle traveled over 1500 miles. I can't help but think where the others are and where they will show up. Also, congratulations on crossing the Atlantic.

On a side note, please do not let any of the negative comments diminish your excitement. Some folks on this forum feel the need to crap on everything. Their negativity is not worthy of any response.

Keep living the dream!
Old 30-07-2014, 08:33   #56

Boat: OEM, proportional

Hey, instead of chucking empty winebottles containing a measly 5 bucks (at most....darn scrooge cheapskate cruisers) over the rail, how about full rum bottles? Ok, if they're the new deep-draft fin-keel Mt Gay kind, they'll likely sail themselves to windward. Sailors might miss nav marks and giant container ships, but the prospect of a free rum bottle should keep our eyes safely glued on the waves...at least until we actually find one.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:43   #57

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
And now the technical:

I pounded the cork back into it. I figured that was probably the tightest fitting seal I could get.
Old 30-07-2014, 08:47   #58

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

All of you who feel my bottle is littering, I have a question for you. How much plastic, fishnets, and other litter that was floating by have you picked up out of the ocean?
Old 30-07-2014, 08:49   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
I pounded the cork back into it. I figured that was probably the tightest fitting seal I could get.
Oh my God! Do you know what cork does to the environment

(I don't I was just wondering )
Old 30-07-2014, 09:10   #60

Boat: In between boats

I found a site containing the most recent MAPROL updates: MARPOL Annex V Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Garbage from Ships - UK P&I

Let me begin by saying that doing anything that is All in good fun is good, is fun for all and we should all feel good and free for doing it!

That important business being said, I understand that sending off a message in a bottle is a nautical tradition. I also get that, for both the sender and discoverer, it's a fun and romantic idea to find one in the water or on the beach. It's making that connection with a total stranger that you have never met and may never meet (or you may). All that being true and inarguable.......it doesn't feel right in today's context.

It may be an old nautical tradition, but back then, times were different. Humanity was smaller and communication technologies were slow and primitive. Maybe it's time for this particular tradition to evolve or end?

Or maybe, it's just me (in which case, feel free to ignore this post)

Edit:
Quote:
All of you who feel my bottle is littering, I have a question for you. How much plastic, fishnets, and other litter that was floating by have you picked up out of the ocean?
I think it's incredibly terrible and sad. I also think that countries/companies that contribute to that pollution should face tremendous economic and political sanctions
Closed Thread