Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50   #1

Metal Detecting and Photography Questions

hi everyone and good morning

my husband is going to retire soon from his job and we are talking a about buying a sailboat and traveling around the world for 5 years or so....i love to take pictures and i have cannon 7d camera plus some great lenses with plus my husband is going to buy me full frame camera as well....my hope is to get some great pictures and send them to traveling magazines .....has anyone ever had any success having there picture in sailing magazines or traveling magazines

plus i love the beaches as well so we are going to by metal detector as well and go treasure hunting on the beaches in difference parts of world.....i hear you do just beaches stay away from dunes ....i am getting excited about traveling around the world.......one thing we are talking around is helping a way to bring children books to kids that have no books as well on some islands as well......

we are thinking about our sailing trip in spring of 2015

plus i am general ham operator so i have my ham radio as well.....i am planning to get my advance License before we start sailing .....

we been looking at sailing schools and we know we have to take safety boat training class as well....so there allot to do when we start out for sure

thank you in advance

tammy44
Tammy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: metal detectoning and photography questions

Awesome dreams Tammy. Glad for you that you're putting the gears in motion. There are lots of books on metal detecting and internet resources. You can also pursue photographers blogs and find out the best ways to copyright and sell your images.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52   #3

Don't want to burst your bubble, but... I've had a metal detector for many years. It's a pleasant way to pass time, but I find more trash than treasures. Add up everything of value that I have found over the last five years and it would probably pay for my wife and I to have a night out on the town.

Not that you shouldn't get or use one. They are a lot of fun. Just don't expect to get rich off of what you find.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:25   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Don't want to burst your bubble, but... I've had a metal detector for many years. It's a pleasant way to pass time, but I find more trash than treasures. Add up everything of value that I have found over the last five years and it would probably pay for my wife and I to have a night out on the town.

Not that you shouldn't get or use one. They are a lot of fun. Just don't expect to get rich off of what you find.

Good luck.
Same here. Definitely would consider it a hobby more than anything else. Mine sits in a closet (for 20 years). I found an antique horse shoe (more rust than anything else) buried in my yard, but got discouraged because everything else I found was trash: construction debris, roofing nails, foil, old bottle caps, etc.

If you're thinking of finding jewelry the chances are pretty slim. I think the best odds would be in wading depths, underwater or below the high tide mark. Probably most items of any value would be small change of recent issue. Probably not worth the time for people who are interested in it for money.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10   #5

thanks everyone .......it just for fun and hobby for me.......i love the beach myself.....so it will be fun for me ......you never know what you found with metal detector.......again it just going to be hobby for me
Old 11-03-2014, 11:03   #6

Great. So long as you understand that it is highly improbable that you would be able to support a lavish lifestyle on the treasures that you are likely to find, I'm sure you'll find it a fun way to pass time.
Old 11-03-2014, 20:07   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

For those of you with experience from metal detectors. The work on nonferrous metals like gold, silver and things like that? I've seen a lot of people picking up aluminum fliptop caps in the past, but I have no idea if it's worth trying to find something like a doubloon. Without doing the research myself. How does it work if you know you're on a beach after a storm that has turned up doubloons in the past. Do you think any luck would be using a metal detector to find that stuff?
Old 11-03-2014, 20:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Hi Tammy don't just talk about it do it

You might like to search some of the posts from Jedi he has mentioned selling images in some of his posts.
Nick is a fantastic photographer and I get the impression it is more pocket money for buying new equipment than a true money making exercise, but search his previous posts.

A metal detector would be good fun, but consider in some parts of the world authorities take a very dim view because of possibilities of recovering antiquities.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 21:18   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Friend told us friend of theirs used a metal detector on their property and has found some alluvial gold, they showed us their share.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:12   #10

Re: Metal Detecting and Photography Questions

Metal detectors will detect gold. The most valuable thing I ever found with my detector was a gold ring. If there are doubloons close enough to the surface to be detected, then you might detect them.

Again, though, I have to say that you can expect to spend a lot of time detecting, over several years, just to find enough "stuff" to pay for one night out on the town. The odds of finding anything of really significant value are so infinitesimally small that you are only going to disappoint yourself if you expect it. Using a metal detector is a bit like buying a lottery ticket. The odds of a big score are probably about the same--one in hundreds of millions.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33   #11

hi and thank you for everyone opinions .....i just going to enjoy our travel and do what i enjoy most on this trips.....talking photos working with metal detector.....plus enjoy learning about other places in the world....i am mom of son with autism who is non verble and i been stay at home for very long time.......he now going into a group home now and he going to be taken care of.....plus we will be visiting him when we come back to our state we live in to visit him and family....we talk about bringing him....but he super picky eater..plus he try jump over boat since he love water..so it could dangerous to bring him ......so we are going to skype with him when we can and keep in touch......it time for us to enjoy our life....my son needs 24 hour care when he home when he not school.....so now group home will be doing what i do....so it our time to enjoy our time......
Old 12-03-2014, 09:14   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

A friend of mine recently bought a metal detector and was using it for the first time on a beach in the Caribbean and the locals got quite angry with him and forced him to leave!
It was a very touristy beach and i think the locals think the spoils are for them.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:49   #13

i was thinking about going to the beach at around sunrise....we are early risers....i do my best not to get mad or upset.....i love to go to the beach and watch sunrise.....one of my favorite things to do.....as well as the sunsets......husband want to anchor off shore of the islands and use our little boat to go to shore.....we are doing our best to do research.....first thing first is go to safe boating class and then learning how to sail ....during that time frame i be looking for boat.....i been looking around just checking things out.....with time i have.....again thanks everyone.....tammy44
Old 12-03-2014, 14:48   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tammy,

Reality check time.

Why should the locals not think what was to be found on the beach was theirs? Suppose you live on land, how'd you like strangers prowling around on it?

It's the same all over the world. For instance, in Fiji, the tribes' "land" includes the reefs, and the fish there belong to the tribes: you have to get permission to fish them. You do it by a process wherein you present the local chief with a ritual gift, and if he accepts it, he will also allow you to fish, go for walks in the village, and so forth.

Ann
Old 12-03-2014, 15:31   #15

Yes we been doing research about the island and tribe and gift and been reading allot even about doing metal detecting .......we found sme great books... I allso hear that tribe people love to come out to your boat to see your boat....we not doing any sailing for long anyway so I keep doing research thank you

Tags
photo, photography