Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 08:18   #16

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Our dream

- For Kumgang to sell his house (almost done)
- Kumgang to buy a boat ( almost done)

- for me to sell my house ( like walking in treacle )
- buy a small house with mooring

- get experienced (for me learn from scratch) sailing the Rio de la Plata ,Parana river and some coastal trips to Brasil probably

- The big dream : A cruise to Tristan da Cunha

Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 09:33   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
The dream was to stick my ugly head around the corner of my small world and see what's out there. And - to remain open to take whatever it is there - meaning - no fixed ideas nor ideals to chase, follow or reach. Just go out there and take whatever comes, and see what it is means me.

I must say it worked out pretty well. Huge disappointment in fact, to a large extent - with the human kind. Same old nearly everywhere we went - minds polluted with religions and greed. And nature on the brink.

The great reward was the ocean, sailing the many (very many, in our small boat) days of each passage. The longest was 72. But I do hope one day I can beat this.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 09:45   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Huge disappointment in fact, to a large extent - with the human kind. Same old nearly everywhere we went - minds polluted with religions and greed. And nature on the brink.

b.
Yep.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 16:45   #19
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats what we do.
Good onya for getting there mate. I really think it would be a terrible idea to sell your house and go cruising with our real estate market. Might be a good idea in the US as your house could be worth less than it was when you come home in 5-10 years
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 17:53   #20

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel
Been thinking about the dream for years ever since hangin out with the inlaws in Tobago. Bought a 34' cat three years ago and have been preparing ever since. Well with reading all the great input in this forum, WE'RE READY! we think. We ( wife ) have decided just recently to put the plan into action to start the dream. She is tired of hearing me talk about it anyway. So we're looking into renting the house, for now anyway, putting my business up for sale. ( any takers?) We plan to move aboard in six months or when house rents. Sell what we don't need, work our jobs for this year ( she gets through with school in June 2011) and acumulate what we can and go for it. We both have been working hard for years. Shes a SLP and myself, a contractor. We fiqure there has to be more to life than living the rat race. Ever since Tobago, the dream has almost been like a disease. Every time we go out we say lets head south and not come back. It seems a little scary not having regular jobs to depend on, however that has never stopped me before when I was younger. We're not old, 53 & 48. We both really want to do this and I have a wife who grew up around sailing. We'll probably hang around east coast for now and try out Bahamas. We want to be close by for elderly parents.
We have thought this through, saved a bit and have equity in the house, if need be to sell. We also own free & clear a piece of land to come back to terra firma if necesary. We're going for it, and hoping and praying it's not a mistake. Any input is always appreciated.

Mark Twain said it best!!
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 17:59   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Been thinking about the dream for years ever since hangin out with the inlaws in Tobago. Bought a 34' cat three years ago and have been preparing ever since. Well with reading all the great input in this forum, WE'RE READY! we think. We ( wife ) have decided just recently to put the plan into action to start the dream. She is tired of hearing me talk about it anyway. So we're looking into renting the house, for now anyway, putting my business up for sale. ( any takers?) We plan to move aboard in six months or when house rents. Sell what we don't need, work our jobs for this year ( she gets through with school in June 2011) and acumulate what we can and go for it. We both have been working hard for years. Shes a SLP and myself, a contractor. We fiqure there has to be more to life than living the rat race. Ever since Tobago, the dream has almost been like a disease. Every time we go out we say lets head south and not come back. It seems a little scary not having regular jobs to depend on, however that has never stopped me before when I was younger. We're not old, 53 & 48. We both really want to do this and I have a wife who grew up around sailing. We'll probably hang around east coast for now and try out Bahamas. We want to be close by for elderly parents.
We have thought this through, saved a bit and have equity in the house, if need be to sell. We also own free & clear a piece of land to come back to terra firma if necesary. We're going for it, and hoping and praying it's not a mistake. Any input is always appreciated.

Mark Twain said it best!!
Sounds like a great plan. You will love it and never look back I'll bet.

By the way, I have an office in Greenville, NC, where are you?
Old 21-06-2010, 04:40   #22

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Sounds like a great plan. You will love it and never look back I'll bet.

By the way, I have an office in Greenville, NC, where are you?
We live in Newport,NC near Emerald Isle. The boat is in Whortonsville, just outside of Oriental.
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:37   #23

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
Hi all,
I have had the dream for adout 10 years, to live aboard, home being whereever the anchor touches.
Money and me have never been close friends, but I have slowly worked up to my latest, and bound to be my last, A Hartley SouthSeas 38. Naturally with minimal funds she is a ferro, sound and basically well set up.
Now I can set time lines, like move on board in 3 years, cast off in 4years, basically living on very little, but at age 57 now, yacht my only assett, it is do it or don't !!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:47   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
For now my dream is for my ear to heal, and sail out of Panama. Once that is accompolished we will be living our dream, and goal once again. I would think most everything starts with a dream. YEP, DREAMING is powerful stuff. Living it is intoxicating..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03   #25

Here's my dream ... sail like this one day!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20   #26

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Thank Doodles, that was one hell of a video!
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50   #27

Boat: SJ23 1988
Ok Doodles... you sure can scare the Cr@!!! out of a fellow sailor!

Thank good ness that is not my style of sailing. I'd have had her reefed twice and never tried the asymetrical hoist or the Jibe...or was that a broken rudder???

FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58   #28
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
god doodles! You HAD to do that. I was thinking of an INGRID 38 or a WESTSAIL 32 and you mindflipped and tripped me back to racing again!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
god doodles! You HAD to do that. I was thinking of an INGRID 38 or a WESTSAIL 32 and you mindflipped and tripped me back to racing again!
Always happy to stir the pot a bit.

It's my favorite sailing video ... love the music too. Anyone know how I can get it on my iPod?
Old 02-08-2010, 17:25   #30

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Incredible!

That's about as close to my sailing as base jumping is to bird watching!

Can I get the same adrenalin in capsuls..........please??

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote