Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 02:33   #61
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Language Skills while voyaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I shared an office for many years with a non native English speaker. He is the most educated person I have every known, with five or so Bachelor and Master degrees and could have had a couple more Masters if he took a few more classes. Wicked smart guy and great guy to work with.

Every once in awhile he would show up at the office with a question about English. Most of the time, his question would make you wonder how anyone ever learns to speak English but especially as a second language. Things a native speaker just knows, but if you think about it, makes no sense.

Like moor, more and Moore
  • I would like MORE of that gruel, please sir.
  • Lets go MOOR the boat.
  • Lets go for a walk on the MOOR.
  • He is a Moor and his last name is MOORE.
The MOOR named MOORE, asked for MORE gruel for breakfast, went to MOOR his boat, before taking a walk on the MOOR.

Later,
Dan

But these are advanced concepts. Basic English is simple to learn. I know people that learned it from tv. Try learn Greek from Greek Tv.
Old 29-10-2021, 04:37   #62

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
But these are advanced concepts. Basic English is simple to learn. I know people that learned it from tv. Try learn Greek from Greek Tv.

I know a Czech guy who learned by corresponence course during the long winnter nights during communism. His written and spoken english was very good considering he never had one formal lesson.

A bloody sight better than my Czech!
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 04:58   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

language is confusing....
But on my arrival in the USA, it was the money that threw me off.
All the bills are the same color, size and shape, only the number on it is different.
When I open my wallet, I can't tell what is in there, unless I'm looking at the corner of the note, to see what I'm holding.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 13:46   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
l....
But on my arrival in the USA, it was the money that threw me off.
All the bills are the same color, size and shape, only the number on it is different.
When I open my wallet, I can't tell what is in there, unless I'm looking at the corner of the note, to see what I'm holding.
The wifey is going to kill me for telling this story....

Once Upon A Time, we visited Hong Kong and China. We kept the non US currency in our wallets that holds our passports....

A few years after that trip, we traveled to Scotland to crew on a trawler and we had to buy some pounds...

We took a cab from the train station to the boat, and when we got to the marina, I asked the wifey to pay the driver while I got our back packs and luggage. She counted out some money, handed it to him, and asked if that was enough. He barely looked at the cash and said yes. Then he noticed it was not pounds but Chinese money!

We all got a good laugh.

We then traveled by boat from Scotland to Ireland so ended up with a bunch of Euros in paper and coins. After getting off the boat, we took a bus to Dublin and then had to take a cab to our hotel. At the hotel, I asked the wifey to pay the driver while I got the back packs and luggage, and handed her a bunch of Euro's in coins....

After we got settled in the room, I asked for my change back. The wifey said she gave it all to the driver! She said he seemed happy with what she gave him. <sigh> He had a pint or two or three on us that night.

Beware the cab driver that has a photos and statues of the Pope, Jesus, and Che Guevara on his dash....

It may look like monopoly money but it does have value. We still get a good laugh about the funny money and cab drivers.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote