Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 18:17   #1

Boat: H28
Just a bit of nonsense

I am sitting at my computer trying to write an assignment thrillingly entitled 'The effects of Ipratropium on the acetylclorine receptors of the parasympathetic nervous system,' and my heart is just not in it. I am obliged to do two such assignments annually to keep up my 'authority to practice' as an EMT. I am somewhat aggrieved by this as I am only a part time volunteer (read unpaid) ambulance man, but, as my boss points out, we need to keep up our skills and learning as killing the customers is not a good look.
My annoyance is further compounded by the fact that its a beautiful day outside and as I look up from my computer I can see my boat on her mooring, and I'm sure she's saying 'come on, lets go...'
So the mind strays to nautical thoughts and I am reminded of an article I read a while ago on rigging, and the writer espoused that split pins should never be opened more than 10 degrees. Since this was written by no less a personage than the great Olin Stevens, this is how I install my split pins. In fact sometimes I've left them like that for as much as half an hour before panicking and opening them up a bit more, just to be sure. Hose clips is another one - we all know to do them up until firm and no more so as not to damage the pipe etc, but I admit to giving them an extra tweak, just to be sure. And diesel additive, can those few mils per litre really eliminate the dreaded bug? I tend to give it a bit more, just to be sure. Splicing three strand rope? - my books tell me three tucks on natural fibre, five on synthetic. I don't think you will find a splice on my boat with less than six tucks, just to be sure.
What is it about boats that does this, brings out this belt and braces mentality, or am I the only one? After all, if you are unlucky enough to wind up in the back of my ambulance needing medication you will get the recommended dose, not one drop more... and that's for sure.
If you've read this far, I apologise for wasting your time. I am going to shake my lethargy and get on with my assignment but first I will turn my chair around so I look at the wall instead of out the window.
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 20:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Just a bit of nonsense

I think your mind has drifted from your work. Isn't that supposed to be acetylcholine receptors?

All kidding aside I can relate. My splices are always have an extra tuck or even two and yes I always add just one extra tweak on the hose clamps. I have been known to use 8 gauge wire when 10 gauge is big enough (if you do wire in metric, wire in gauges the smaller numbers are bigger wires). I really had to resist going one size larger in wire when I rerigged the boat.

Just something about boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 22:07   #3

Boat: H28

Yes, you are right - acetylcloline it is. I have a little trouble with some terminology.
In my last exam I amazed my tutors by inadvertantly writing ROSC - Return of spontaneous circulation, as ROSC - Return of spontaneous combustion.
Would you trust me with a 22g IV drip?
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
Would you trust me with a 22g IV drip?
As long as the drip was not supposed to be 22 mg. Then if I was unconscious on a stretcher I guess I wouldn't have any choice in the matter.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18   #5

I'd be happy to be cared for in your amblience, provided you keep a good stock of leeches on hand.
And a decent shaman, with his own chicken blood...
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i used to do my papers at night so i didnt miss any daylight.....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:10   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

ON one of more enjoyable IT projects , many years ago, we decided as there was a heat wave , to work at night and sleep during the day , as I was living on a boat at the time, little sleep but a lot of daytime sailing was achieved.

round here, there should be national holidays declared anytime we get over 20 degrees C

Dave
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
I'd be happy to be cared for in your amblience, provided you keep a good stock of leeches on hand.
And a decent shaman, with his own chicken blood...
Strange bit of information, the use of leeches is now an accepted medical procedure. My son-in-law just experienced a serious injury to a couple of fingers. The surgeon prescribed leeches on one finger while it was healing to prevent clotting (leeches secrete an anticoagulant) and promote blood flow while the veins were healing.
Old 21-05-2013, 01:46   #9

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

i reckon the belt and braces approach comes from, in my experience, the fact that every time i set out in my boat something unexpected is sure to happen at some point, usually involving strong winds, sails in the wrong place and boat being pushed around where it shouldnt ought to be...happened to me yesterday, and when everything settled back down i was standing on the foredeck with my hands in my pockets and barely a care in the world - nothing broke, no big drama, belt and braces wins again...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote