Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 15:56   #46

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Jimmy Buffet (For the record I love the guy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguygo View Post
And Vegemite!

Clearly there are many folks who will not separate the Parrothead party schlock from the other numerous examples of fine songwriting. Their loss.
I was forced to listen to it for several weeks straight on a delivery where the only music aboard was "he who shall not be named"
I found no examples of fine songwriting
If anything after that amount of time it was devil music
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbettis View Post
You're both right. It's an age thing, and an American thing.

Jimmy's music is ok (the first ten times) but not great. Someone on here mentioned Willie Nelson. Willie's music is good enough that it can stand on its own, and get rediscovered by new generations or in new contexts.

Jimmy's not like that. He's like the Dead: you had to be there. So he's got an outrageously loyal fanbase fueled by nostalgia. No real reach beyond that.

Actually he has the opposite of reach because anyone not in the cult who spends any time near the water gets headaches when we hear that music blasting.
living in West End post Poor Richards and pre "Pussers Landing", one got Buffetted out early on, and you didn't tend to hear it so much at regattas or in local venues.
pelagic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 14:09   #48

Part of it, is that I'm from the same area Buffett is from. A lot of the stuff he sings about, you kind of have to be a local to get. I would imagine a lot of stuff he sings about seems pretty strange to people from different parts of the country.

I used to live a half a block from Buffet's grandmother in Pascagoula, MS in the 80's (where he was born). Her mailbox still had "Capt. J.D. Buffet" on it. Cousin Baxter Buffet (Life is a Tire Swing) was still there when I lived there and he was a friend of a friend.

One of my friends used to be the captain on a pretty big boat that belonged to a rich lawyer in Pascagoula, MS, that was home-ported there on the stern. They had it tied up in Key West one time, and heard a guy from the dock yell, "Who the hell in Pascagoula has enough money to buy that boat?"

They looked up, and if was Buffet standing on the dock.

It's a gulf coast thing, I guess.
Old 05-05-2021, 14:20   #49

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
The 70’s Keys scene was really something.
Never was there in the 70's (I didn't arrive in 'murica until 1980) but remember fondly the Key West of the late 80's early 90's.

I remember walking down the street with my treasure diver buddy with a 16 century deck gun heading down Duval street and not getting glance.

I despise the "Disneyfication" of America and the loss of our weird, wonderful, and UNfamily friendly places. Sigh. Why does everything have to be "family friendly"? What about us folks that don't have families and want to go to a place where the occasional drunk vomits in the street, a fist fight breaks out, and a few ladies want to flash their assets around?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:37   #50

Boat: Tartan Ten 33'

I was good with him, still listen to his music, not as much once he did a fund raiser for Hillary. Why do entertainers get involved in politics? Now I find reggae music more enjoyable.
mlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:50   #51

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinden View Post
I was good with him, still listen to his music, not as much once he did a fund raiser for Hillary. Why do entertainers get involved in politics?
Probably the same reason that Bankers, Lawyers and other professionals get involved in politics.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:16   #52

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I like Jimmy alright, but he's kind of too 'ubiquitous' for me. For those of you who like nautical tunes, but want something a little different, I suggest you try researching Stan Rogers, a Canadian songwriter with a big, booming voice and a mean 12 string. Incredible ballads. He died young in the 80s in a plane fire, but left a huge collection of original songs, mostly about the sea and ships, though some are set in the Canadian prairie provinces. He's a treasure, imho. I'd also suggest the Canadian band "Great Big Sea" from Newfoundland. Great percussion work and super fun songs. There are MANY more groups out there playing music about sailing and ships than Jimmy Buffett. Variety is the spice of life!
For my funeral, I've requested the playing of "Safe in the Harbor" by Eric Bogle, written as a tribute to Stan Rogers. If it doesn't do it for you, I don't know what will.....Cheers..
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:16   #53

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinden View Post
I was good with him, still listen to his music, not as much once he did a fund raiser for Hillary. Why do entertainers get involved in politics? Now I find reggae music more enjoyable.

That’s funny. I’ve never been a fan. And I figured he’d be a Florida Trumper. I guess I like him much more now knowing he’s not. Everyone is involved in politics. As they say, opinions and ******** - everyone has them and they all stink.

I actually think this is one of the problems with America. Someone expresses and opinion that’s against mine must mean they are a bad person or that I can’t support them any more. Kind of ridiculous. Like saying someone is a bad boater because they use a Bruce instead of a Rocna.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:17   #54

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Jimmy Buffet (For the record I love the guy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcon12000 View Post
Is it just me (probably) but is playing Jimmy Buffet while on the hard in the yard the same as playing Stairway to Heaven at the local GTR center?
No one would care at all if you play it at a personal level BUT I'M JUST GUESSING YOU DO NOT.

I'll be upgrading to an 8'' grinder.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:25   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jimmy Buffet (For the record I love the guy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarns View Post
Like saying someone is a bad boater because they use a Bruce instead of a Rocna.
Actually it's the other way around..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09   #56

Boat: Hake 32RK

Unless its so loud it interrupts your nap, why would you care what they play?
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:04   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
I once had the pleasure of partying with him until dawn at Stanley's Welcome Bar in Tortola back in 1981. And believe it or not, I remembered it the following day.
My Buffett experience was in 1987 in Marsh Harbor. He had the schooner then.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:17   #58

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratenorm View Post
Not being snobbish here but it is Buffett with 2 T's. I started the fan club in Toronto in 2002 and am still a huge fan. Met him once in St. Barts at the airport loading his surfboards in his Cessna Caravan float plane, living up to the songs. The other time I spent about 15 minutes backstage talking with him and Michael Utley before the 2005 concert in Toronto. Both are true gentlemen.
I'm a boat broker in Georgian Bay, Ontario and always recommend any of my buyers unfamiliar with him to check him and his body of work out. I've never met a boater, sail or power, who doesn't at least have one of Jimmy BuffeTT's albums (CD's).
And FTR, I don't care if I never hear Margaritaville again.
Cheers.
Been into sailing for 50 years. Spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, not a Buffett fan at all.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:19   #59

Boat: Hake 32RK

Actually the problem is narcissism--they express opinions, without any basis, as though they are facts; expect you to take them at their word and believe it; then get mad when you challenge their baseless opinions or question their authority. Murica!
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 18:14   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Wish I could go.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-jimmy...080000770.html

Tags
record