Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 22:30   #61

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Is this the problem with the younger generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I really hate this younger-generation bashing. I hated it when I was part of the younger-generation (long haired hippies!) and I hate it now. If the current younger generation has a problem (not saying they do), then whose fault is it, if not the people who raised them (Oh, I know, it's *other* people's kids, right? Your little darlings are perfect.)

Frankly, I think it's time the younger generation took over. We don't seem to be doing all that well.

-- John

Though the title might seem to indicate that the post is about 'younger-generation bashing', really it's not.

It's about 'way-of-life-bashing', and there is far, far too little of it...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 19:18   #62

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

ATM I have a fun catamaran project but I wish technology could provide me with a flying electric car
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 11:11   #63
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Though the title might seem to indicate that the post is about 'younger-generation bashing', really it's not.

It's about 'way-of-life-bashing', and there is far, far too little of it...

thanks, Jim. As the OP I was amazed to read all the different takes on my original post and picture of the advertisement. This has been interesting, for sure.
I wasn't bashing the younger generations, my wife and I added to their population. But the Millenials and X's and such show up in surveys with a lot more stress and a lot less satisfaction than us old Boomers. Insurance, home purchase, job security, gig economy - there's a lot of stressors. Of course every generation has stressors, mine certainly did, but we had a lot more satisfaction at least according to pollsters. and my parents' generation had even more satisfaction - and less TV advertising (or barely any TV advertising).

Looking at the advert for the satellite internet system - I imagine the young family is visiting Montserrat or Bora Bora or whatever island is off their stern. They don't live their permanently. They can watch movies anywhere, but they can only experience that tropical reality there. Turn off the TV

Further, when you experience things via screen you receive the info through the filter of the movie producer. you will never get the full story, you will always get some trimmed version controlled by viewpoint or advertising budget of the producer. Experiencing things with intent and in reality you also have your own filters, but they're yours and you have the option to be open and experience it all as you see fit. Turn off the TV.

my college and grad school students are too quick to watch the world on their phones. when they work out on a machine they watch TV or listen to music in their ear buds. Multi-tasking is proven to ruin ability to focus and to experience the world. as we said in the 60s ad 70s - Be Here Now. It's healthy and more fun.

I'll stop preaching. via a screen.....
great discussion.
Old 25-03-2019, 15:39   #64

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
1) it's not limited by generation, it's just the way society is going. Humans, for the most part, take the path requiring least effort. Experiencing life via VR takes less effort. Right or wrong you're not going to change human nature.

2) if your selling a connectivity service you're not going to show people disconnecting.
Some people are adventures. ..
A lot of yacht owners are not.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote