Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 09:32   #31

Boat: Arm floaties (orange)
Re: Is a tent worth owning?

Sorry for being late to your post, but I would recommend making or buying (more expensive than I am willing to pay) a large oil cloth tarp. They can be made easily using some common materials.

The more I learn about what it takes to sail the more I see mountaineering and bush craft skills transferring over. One of my favorites is anchoring and creating your own bomb proof anchor to repel using sticks.

Fair winds my friend.
Cannasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:38   #32

Theft. While you are off boat, of whole boat or equipment.
....Storm comes up & anchor drags and/or you can't get to boat.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:42   #33

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

From my experience with boats, you will find more important things on a boat to spend your money on rather than a tent.
Go ashore, take a picnic, come back to your boat and sleep in comfort.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:28   #34

Boat: Tayana 37

I'll just say this -

There is no scenario where I:
  1. Don't have a full compliment of backpacking gear with me - including a tent.
  2. Don't explore on land the places I sail to.
  3. Don't spend time backpacking in countries I travel to.

So the very idea of not having a tent is crazy to me. How am I supposed to hike the Kerry Way without a tent when I go to Ireland?!?!

Or the Quilotoa Loop in Ecuador?

A tent isn't for the boat, it's for getting out and seeing the countryside where there is no hotel. Not everybody's cup of tea, but for me and my wife, it's half of the reason we travel.

Put it this way, a few years ago when we finally replaced our Halfdome tent as it was falling apart from 13 years of use, we actually held a funeral service for it...lol Here is the quote - verbatim - from our ceremony:

"Today, we celebrate the life of our 13 year old half dome tent from REI. Through summer, fall, winter, and spring - rain, wind, and snow - it never failed us.
Joshua tree.
Yosemite.
Big Sur
Seneca.
Big bend.
Padre Island.
Los Olivos
Tuba city
Ouray
California
Nevada
Arizona
Colorado
Wyoming
North Dakota
Minnesota
Canada
New York
Arkansas
Missouri
Indiana
Tennessee
Louisiana
And others.
Today, say good bye. and we also welcome our Passage 2 tent from REI to the family. We will welcome it with a backpacking trip to Lost Maples over thanksgiving, and a major trip in the spring.
THE TENT IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE TENT!"
Old 07-12-2020, 10:42   #35

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43í

Much would depend on the boat and your activities. If you're sailing a small boat and exploring, backpacking a tent into the wilds (or a state campground) for a few days can certainly add to the experience. Those with a larger boat rarely are willing to forgo the comforts of climate control, 110v generator power, and having the modern conveniences only a step or two away. It's a personal choice. What do you want?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:04   #36

Boat: Alajuela 33

Put it this way, a few years ago when we finally replaced our Halfdome tent as it was falling apart from 13 years of use, we actually held a funeral service for it...lol Here is the quote - verbatim - from our ceremony:

Colorado

Wyoming

North Dakota

Minnesota

Canada

New York

Arkansas

Missouri

Indiana

Tennessee

Louisiana

And others.

Today, say good bye. and we also welcome our Passage 2 tent from REI to the family. We will welcome it with a backpacking trip to Lost Maples over thanksgiving, and a major trip in the spring.

THE TENT IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE TENT!"[/QUOTE]

[emoji106]
Iím approaching jealousy!
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
[emoji106]
Iím approaching jealousy!
The last two years have been mainly RV / Van camping, to be honest, but it's very common for us to drive to a park, stay in the campground with the RV, and then backpack out for a night in the tent somewhere and hike back the next day (we did that a few years ago at the Grand Canyon and it was awesome way to go to the bottom for a night) . We both miss multi-day trips though, and look forward to getting back to them.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:25   #38

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

For what it's worth - I started camping when I was 6. From age 15 until 21 I spent a month or more backpacking in the High Sierra each summer, as well as in the San Gabrial mountains during other seasons. I have NEVER slept in a tent - NEVER. In Yosemite valley we used a tent for changing clothes, but slept under the stars. You have a boat for changing - if in a place where there are other people. A tarp to throw over the boom may be useful if in an area with rain in the rainy season. We used such a system in Puget Sound. In fact, we used the over-boom tarp to make powering in the rain more comfortable.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 13:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
I'll just say this -

So the very idea of not having a tent is crazy to me. How am I supposed to hike the Kerry Way without a tent when I go to Ireland?!?!

Or the Quilotoa Loop in Ecuador?

A tent isn't for the boat, it's for getting out and seeing the countryside where there is no hotel. Not everybody's cup of tea, but for me and my wife, it's half of the reason we travel.

"Today, we celebrate the life of our 13 year old half dome tent from REI. Through summer, fall, winter, and spring - rain, wind, and snow - it never failed us.
Joshua tree.
Yosemite.
Big Sur
Seneca.
Big bend.
Padre Island.
Los Olivos
Tuba city
Ouray
California
Nevada
Arizona
Colorado
Wyoming
North Dakota
Minnesota
Canada
New York
Arkansas
Missouri
Indiana
Tennessee
Louisiana
And others.
THE TENT IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE TENT!"
good one!
I have a half dome. Good tent... a bit heavy but it's been easy to set up and has held up well. Mine isn't nearly as well traveled as yours though... majority was on various cub scout and boy scout trips taking my son and his pack and troop out and about. I could never get them into backpacking...so just typical tailgate scouting stuff.... just a few other trips along the way.

I still have that tent, but picked up a z-packs duplex a couple years ago wanting something lighter to do some sections of some long trails...sadly it's still to be used...life keeps getting in the way!

Just brainstorming about the thread topic...seems like a little lightweight tarp tent shelter would be smart to have...even for only day hikes in case you get caught out in some strange land
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:19   #40

I hear people complain about it being hot down below, and bugs up top, so why not pitch a mesh tent on top - cooler and keep the bugs out. It seems like an obvious solution to me, as long as you have the deck space. I've probably got at least 4 tents, one that's fully mesh. I don't care what people see, I just don't like getting chewed on by bugs or trying to sleep when it's too hot. I guess if you don't already have a mesh tent, or you don't want someone to see your underwear, this may be a problem.
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:07   #41

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
I'll just say this -

Hope youíll excuse me but Iím in the UK so my topographical knowledge of the USA is somewhat limited but the majority of those locations are many miles from the sea.

You must have some very good hiking boots as well 😂
Old 08-12-2020, 12:45   #42

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
Hi everyone, I am building experience and plan on buying a coastal cruiser this spring. In the spirit of Black Friday and Christmas I am getting a head start on some wishlist items.

Should a camping tent be on that list? I plan on cruising the Gulf of Mexico and eventually the Caribbean. I'm curious how often you find yourself near a State Park or want to go inland a bit and stay a night or two?
If you have to ask, then leave it out initially.

However, there are loads of times when tent camping can be fun while cruising. Backpack inland to the top of a mountain... sleep on a deserted beach, etc. Only you can say if a tent is worth its space and dollar cost. You would need to include all the accessories: pads, cook stove, sleeping bags, etc.... if your boat has abundant space, and you want to camp, why not?

On the other hand, if you are not doing much camping or hiking now, you are not likely to start doing such things from a boat.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 13:13   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggers View Post
Hope youíll excuse me but Iím in the UK so my topographical knowledge of the USA is somewhat limited but the majority of those locations are many miles from the sea.

You must have some very good hiking boots as well 😂
I'll travel by any means available, my friend. One thing I've noticed in my travels - the internal combustion engine is everywhere. Why on earth would I sail to the Caribbean stay on my boat? What a waste of a trip! I'm going to sail to the Caribbean and then hike the islands and meet the people!

And yes - good hiking boots are a must. ;-) I've currently got a pair of Lowa Renegades that have taken me safely to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and the top of several mountains. ;-)
Old 08-12-2020, 19:50   #44

Boat: Tartan 3800

I offer for your consideration photos from a boat camping trip three months ago. We were in Echo Lake near the BWCA (northern Minnesota). It was mainly a scouting trip to plan some upcoming cruising adventures in our 12' fiberglass dinghy as well as our 26' trailer sailor. On the same trip we also stayed in the tent on the Vermilion River, which we concluded was unsuitable for sailing due to draft considerations.

Next summer we have plans to return to Echo Lake and the surrounding area in the 12' dinghy, possibly also nearby Burntside Lake, and will have the trailer sailor on Lake Vermilion. We also have planned a trip to the Crane Lake/Ash River/Kabetogama/Rainy Lake area, in the Voyageur's National Park on the U.S.-Canada border, for which we will rent a boat locally.

All these lakes have boat-in campsites that are inaccessible by land. Bringing a tent gives us options to spread out as trailer sailors are, well, cozy; while dinghy cruising more or less by definition requires a tent.

All these lakes are accessible by water from the coast (via Lake Superior) and were part of the fur trade routes in the 18th and 19th centuries. There are a number of obstacles that must be portaged; the modern traveler has the choice of a lightweight boat that can be carried around rapids and other obstacles or one that can be hauled between segments on a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	echo2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	228332   Click image for larger version

Name:	echo1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	228333  

Old 29-12-2020, 17:32   #45

Boat: Fuji 35 ketch

It is a good idea when cruising in remote coastal area to include a backpacking type of tent in your ditch bag. Especially in Alaska or Canada
JON REISWIG is offline   Reply With Quote