Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 16:13   #1

Is a dog one of your regular crew members?

Aren't dogs wonderful! They love to be with us, even on the boat!

They never complain, they tolerate heavy seas, they almost always have iron bladders, and they always smile looking up at us, no matter what!

I have a 15 year old Brittany. His name is Grommit. He has been a boater since 4 months of age. Grommit has sailed many many miles from Long island Sound to the Bay of Fundy and many stops and islands in between. Grommit occupies the Vee-Birth in my boat, his own bed room, with all of his toys. We sail as often as we can. I know Grommit really enjoys sailing as much as I.

I see in my sailing travel many more dogs like Grommit aboard, they are truly a part of the family and I cant imagine sailing without mans best friend!
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 17:57   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Is a dog one of your regular crew members?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
Aren't dogs wonderful! They love to be with us, even on the boat!

They never complain, they tolerate heavy seas, they almost always have iron bladders, and they always smile looking up at us, no matter what!

I have a 15 year old Brittany. His name is Grommit. He has been a boater since 4 months of age. Grommit has sailed many many miles from Long island Sound to the Bay of Fundy and many stops and islands in between. Grommit occupies the Vee-Birth in my boat, his own bed room, with all of his toys. We sail as often as we can. I know Grommit really enjoys sailing as much as I.

I see in my sailing travel many more dogs like Grommit aboard, they are truly a part of the family and I cant imagine sailing without mans best friend!

I don't have a dog, but I do have two cats, both of whom think they should be first mate. They "discuss" it fairly often.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I don't have a dog, but I do have two cats, both of whom think they should be first mate. They "discuss" it fairly often.
Well I'm sorry that I didn't include cats! I know, I've heard, cats also are sailors, I just have not had other than dogs aboard, this being my second boating companion, hense the user name "2nd, dog watch" as there was a first, but no cats! Sorry to offend you................
2nd Dog Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:48   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Dog Watch View Post
Well I'm sorry that I didn't include cats! I know, I've heard, cats also are sailors, I just have not had other than dogs aboard, this being my second boating companion, hense the user name "2nd, dog watch" as there was a first, but no cats! Sorry to offend you................

I'm not offended! I just think it's ... odd ... that after three years they can't decide who the top cat is. Dogs would have had it settled in 30 seconds and everyone would be happy. Even the lowest dog in the pack is glad to be in the pack.

I love my cats but dogs are wonderful.

Were you ever able to teach your dog to pee on a piece of carpet at the bow? I know a number of dog owners who struggle with that one.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 02:03   #5

yes i had my dog on board for fifteen yrs i miss her a lot. great companions.
samfreeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 02:16   #6

Boat: CS 40

Our miniature schnauzer Ziggy crossed the pacific from Mexico to Japan. He's back in Canada now as our plans would have him boat bound for an entire year. He was a great boat dog and managed pretty well with a product we picked up in Hawaii. It's designed for housebound dogs and consists of a piece of artificial turf over a grate in a tray. After he was done we just rinsed over the side with a bucket of seawater.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew