Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 15:02   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Inflatable Paddle and Sail Board

My wife is interested in carrying a stand up paddle board and I'm interested in carrying a wind surfer. Because we cruise in a 30 ft Morris Leigh, we don't have a lot of deck space for either. I've seen info on inflatable combination SUP / wind surfers and was wondering weather anyone has any experience with these? Might this be the solution? I know it's always hard to engineer a system to do both and then add the concept of inflatable versions..?
We're not looking for high performance but the ability to enjoy the freedom to explore and get our daily workout. Anybody have experience with these or suggestions? Could be fun... Fishing for stripe bass from a paddle board - a new twist!
Old 09-11-2013, 15:38   #2

re: Inflatable Paddle and Sail Board

I can't comment on the sail board aspect, but I have a 12'6" sup board that I like a lot. The size is really the killer: they are friggin huge. The inflatable ones I've tried seem like riding around on a mattress. You lose a lot of power when paddling because the board flexes so much. Surfing you can't track.

So if you want something for floating around and being in flat waters I think it's fine, but if you want anything remotely performant you're out of luck.

The one thing I've been considering that my friends have is a kite surfing rig. The kite and pump fit into a backpack and the board is the size of a snowboard.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 19:00   #3

I tried one, I believe it was called Bali, that had remarkable rigidity. The local rep was anchored next to me, and did mention many folks are afraid of pumping them up enough, or they pump them in full sun, and am surprised when they are flexy in the cool morning air.

Jeff
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 19:11   #4

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestle View Post
I tried one, I believe it was called Bali, that had remarkable rigidity. The local rep was anchored next to me, and did mention many folks are afraid of pumping them up enough, or they pump them in full sun, and am surprised when they are flexy in the cool morning air. Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff...
-Bfree
Old 18-02-2014, 04:52   #5
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We, too, are extremely interested in a couple of inflatable SUPs. I've been looking around and educating myself, as is my wont. There are plenty of videos of people surfing on these. Check out the ULI guy, named Steamroller, who surfs with their inflatables. He's not a small guy, either. Just do a Youtube search on Uli Steamroller Surf and you'll find plenty.

The trick seems to me to be exactly what Kestle is saying. Buy a board designed to be pumped up to something like 12-15 psi, and then do it. I would imagine that last few psi to be kind of challenging with most of the inflatable pumps we are used to. What's the typical pressure in a fully inflated RIB, something like 5 psi? So imagine that you need to put three times that into an inflatable to make it rigid.

I am also finding there is a huge variation in what passes for inflatable standup paddleboards. Beware the usual scam artists who will put that label on a cheap product that is unsuitable for the name, or the purpose.

I am almost certain that we'll be adding a couple to our boat. We have more than enough room for them, even could put them in the spot where the holding tank used to be. I'm looking at Bic, Hobie, Uli, and a couple others. I'd prefer to be able to justify the Hobies, as I've had a number of their products and dealt with their customer service and dealer network, and they are one of the finest companies I have ever done business with.
Old 18-02-2014, 06:11   #6

Boat: Toy boat

Inflatables...ugh. The very best are not very good and its true, they must be blown up within seconds of bursting.
I carry two on board my 32 and use them as dingy's as well.
If space was a concern, go with the C4 Waterman inflatables, they are the best I have ridden/paddled.
I know a bit about SUP...
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 06:37   #7

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Waterman......Great video..you kinda "played " with the rocks at 6:12....love the sound track too,,,,,,

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:13   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We have two Bali inflatable SUPs, about a year now, and are happy with them. We use them in flat water, have not tried surfing them. Fun for exercise and exploring the anchorage or taking the dog to the beach. They are easy enough to inflate and deflate but it takes a few minutes work with a pump (you could use an electric pump).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 14:32   #9

Boat: Toy boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Waterman......Great video..you kinda "played " with the rocks at 6:12....love the sound track too,,,,,,
I am very comfortable around those particular rocks, they reside in front of my house, lucky me.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 15:54   #10
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Oh, I'd love to be able to strap a couple of slick rigid boards on the boat. I know about inflatable boats and kayaks. The flex robs energy.

But I've been staring at the boat for months now, trying to visualize a couple of 11 ft. boards strapped someplace on it. I can't come up with a good place that wouldn't destroy visibility, or foul the headsails, etc. And storing them outside strapped to a boat long term just can't be good for them, either. No good way to secure them. Fiberglass against steel stanchions? Standing rigging? Mast?

I realize the inflatables are a compromise. As are all boats and most other things in life. If I were competing, or going for a distance record or trying to make the cover of Surfing magazine....I'm sure I wouldn't even consider an inflatable.

I may have to give up some speed and glide and bite and settle for a good workout and playing in some small waves from time to time. I do like the idea of being able to take a SUP with me on an airplane, too.

They're sure ugly, though.
Old 29-01-2015, 08:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I just found this thread and recon a resurrection is in order. Was down learning how to Paddleboard last week, and I am amazed at the variety. I can paddle it like a kayak, like a canoe, or stand up an paddle or use a small sail. Some have areas where you can strap some stuff down for a quick trip ashore.
I have space on my Valiant, but hear that the inflatables work fine as long as they are up to 15 PSI or so. I will never be an expert, and I am 95kg. What is the consensuses? I loved surfing on the rigid ones we had on the beach BTW, and I plan on experimenting with one and a parasail. What's the best one to get?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:24   #12

Boat: Cape George Cutter 38
Re: Inflatable Paddle and Sail Board

I was in talking to a fellow at ocean river sports about inflatable sup's. A couple interesting facts I picked up were that boards usually come in 4" and 6" thickness. 4" boards will "edge" into a wave a bit better even though inflatables have poor edge shape. 6" boards will be stiffer for heavier paddlers.
The company starboard had a nice looking construction where they built the board with a slight reverse camber so when the person is on it, it will flex slightly to be flat. The other brand there red board had batten pockets down the side to improve stiffness.
I think inflatable sup's are a great thing to have on a small cruising boat. I wish they weren't so expensive though! I'm sure they are worth it and will probably get a couple in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
etesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:34   #13

Boat: Tartan 40

We have an inflatable. If you inflate to spec it's great. Sure not as fast as a full rigid sup but who care. Neither is as fast as the dinghy. It's about having it stored below to be able to use for recreation. I once cruised with a windsurfer board strapped to stanchions and it was scary in a storm with waves crashing into it.

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:04   #14

Boat: Cape George Cutter 38

In my last post I meant to say camber not reverse camber.
Got a little mixed up with the terms.
Over and out.

etesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Interesting comment about the edge. I plan on a inflatable SUP too. Still trying to figure out how to get a wood one on deck.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote