Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2023, 15:42   #16

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Inflatable kayaks and canoes

I have been using one of these for the past few years.
https://canoeboat.ca/products/palava

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed. It certainly doesn't track or paddle as well as a hard shell canoe but with a bit of attention to good posture and a solid j-stroke I can make good progress even into a stiff wind, and it's quite stable in short choppy waves.
If I'm only going a short distance I lay it alongside the cabin top and secure with its own painters. Longer distance or bigger wind I deflate and fold it up and strap it to the front of the cabin top, or just toss it below. Takes 5 min to inflate with a good high-volume double action pump. Carries two people plus a day pack each easily, or solo with lots of stuff.

I remember reading a review from someone who put a skeg patch on the bottom and it improved tracking significantly. I haven't done that yet but for someone who doesn't have a lot of paddling experience it might be an easy fix and make it a lot more enjoyable.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, Kayak