Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 05:17   #31

Re: I Broke the Law Today!

It's the Group W bench for you ya potato hugger.

/signed,
Norbert

(if you catch the reference you old hippy)
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:39   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
...I noticed a 500 pound baked potato cruising slowly along the edge of the dock... but I'll never forget that 500 pound baked potato!
Mmmmmmm, baked potato. Did you serve it with sour cream?
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:03   #33

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I don't want a new law degree,
Just wanna stroke my manatee.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:46   #34

We used to have one of those baked potato that hung out at the marina where I kept my boat in Miami about ten years ago. Thank God I never, petted it, fed it, scratched its back with a garden rake (and, I'm sure not about to tell why there was a garden rake at this marina), or let my kids talk to it.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:20   #35

Boat: Custom 30

My wife was walking up the dock a few months ago, when she saw a couple of regulars with a garden hose hanging off into the water. She was curious and asked what they were doing.

They said they were giving a "big potato" a drink.

They were near where there is a fresh water inlet, and said the "potato" when thirsty would come up there and try to get some fresh water. Since it hadn't rained in a while, and it was unlikely to find any, they dropped the hose in, and the "potato" took a very long drink from the hose, like he had done it many times.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:58   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Fellow boaters, let me be perfectly clear, "I did not have relations with that potato!"
So you say!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 14:33   #37

Boat: too many

Quote:
Fellow boaters, let me be perfectly clear, "I did not have relations with that potato!"
Was this in response to my posting awhile back.......

"If you aroused that manatee, later tonight in an amorous state, he might follow your scent and climb into your berth."
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 14:59   #38
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So you say!!!

Yeah the law very clearly states not to molest the potatoes.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:11   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I should clarify that I support the law that limits human contact with manatees. As a biologist and ecologist, I am aware of the advantages that promote the survival of manatees by not having them respond positively to human interaction.
Still, I leaned down to stroke the 500 Lb potato!
Old 30-04-2013, 15:23   #40
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
I should clarify that I support the law that limits human contact with manatees. As a biologist and ecologist, I am aware of the advantages that promote the survival of manatees by not having them respond positively to human interaction.
Not to be sarcastic or condescending here, but I hope you didn't have H7N9 when you did it. No one seems to recognize the biological reasons for avoiding potatow interactions.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:50   #41
cruiser

Quote:

The truth is that manatees sometimes actively seek humans out. There is no reason for them to hang out in our club marina. There is no fresh water source there. There's no grass growing there. But one day, that adolescent manatee I named came up under a little boy who was swimming in the marina -- and took him for a ride. The boy didn't get on the manatee -- the manatee came up under him. It's a thrill I'm sure he'll remember for the rest of his life.

When I went to "swim with the manatees" in the Crystal River, a manatee came right up to my friend. It happened to other people as well.

I know why they came into the marine I used to live in; there was a fresh water spring at the end of it, and they came to drink the fresh water. But I have absolutely no problem giving fresh water to that nursing mother to drink. Clearly she was very thirsty, and clearly she enjoyed playing in the water, because that's what she did. Clearly she wasn't afraid of us; she had a tiny baby and could easily have swum away. We did not attempt to touch her in any way, but I don't think it would have bothered her.

If they seek us out, I think that side of their nature should be respected as well. Certainly having positive experiences with them will make people more aware of the need to motor slowly in manatee zones. See one in the wild and it's very clear that they are neither fast nor agile.
Old 30-04-2013, 15:53   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Not to be sarcastic or condescending here, but I hope you didn't have H7N9 when you did it. No one seems to recognize the biological reasons for avoiding potatow interactions.
I won't discard the potential for pathogen transmission, however unlikely this may be from the stroke of fingers along the back of this potato; afterall, the potato is swimming in an estuary bordered by a large human population, but the transmission of the recent Chinese bird flu, H7N9 hints of absurd paranoria or far reaching ignorance of microbiology. Far from sarcstic or condescending, just a radical jump in logic. I would honor the concern for the resistance of manatees to pathogens that may be transmitted to them from other organisms, but your mention of the H7N9 is just plucking a tabloid fear from the headlines.
Old 30-04-2013, 15:54   #43

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Really? Seriously? This has GOT to be the silliest thing I've read on this entire site. That's saying a lot because I've read some seriously silly stuff here. Please tell me this was tongue in cheek! Please.!!!
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 16:26   #44

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Sounds to me we got us a real life Potato-phile on our hands.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 16:30   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Sounds to me we got us a real life Potato-phile on our hands.

My first love is sea otters, otherwise known as carrots. Potatoes are the best the east coast has to offer.