Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.66%
Blog 144 49.15%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.29%
Too Lazy 23 7.85%
Like to keep it private 27 9.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 12:18   #46
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I started a thread on a boating/fishing forum last year. It was not just about boating, but what life has been like after we packed up and moved to a small island. When that thread got up to almost seventy pages, about 125,000 views, it was suggested we turn it into a blog site. So, I did. Now, it's being read in something like 70 different countries, which is a real hoot for me. I am sure when we eventually find the right catamaran, it will turn even more into a boating blog. Right now, its a mix of island life, boating, fishing, diving, and lately, the trials and tribulations of building a home on a small caribbean island.
It just got nominated for something or other, again. I don't know. I actually never read it. Just try to post a lot of photos, write something to explain them, and move on. People seem to like it, though.
Old 07-04-2008, 19:22   #47

Boat: Swallowcraft Swift 40, Arabella
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexico Mike
Had the web site already, was doing a semi blog before I went cruising. It has become kind of a memory-jogger for us as well as some info for friends and family. Have to remember to keep taking pictures! Addy's in my sig.

www.sailinglinks.com
Mexico Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 22:15   #48

We have one also. I try to update it twice a month. We started thinking about this sailing adventure a year ago, and we stepped onto our boat on April 7th. Our friends call it 'living the dream'. Anyway, the website is Adrenalin Mountain Adventures, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, snowmobiling, snowboarding, skiing, British Columbia tours, Cariboo, Chilcotin, central BC, holidays, big adventures, spectacular views:Home Page. Allison & Merle
Cariboo raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 10:36   #49

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Website. This reminds me, I really need to add, update, and make it more interesting.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 20:01   #50

Boat: PEARSON 422
I have a general boating and cruising blog on my space. We are cruising right now and i am blogging the trip when I can. Check it out.

MySpace.com Blogs - salty dog MySpace Blog

MySpace.com - salty dog - 100 - Male - Dunedin, Florida - www.myspace.com/salty_dog_68
Old 31-05-2008, 20:09   #51

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Me (23 years old) and my brother (25) have a website with frequently updated blog entries, pictures, and more. I just sold my house and bought a boat which i am preparing for a circumnavigation, starting this year. First destination is Hawaii. I plan on filming the entire voyage in High-Definition, with television in mind. Our website is Welcome to the Open Blue Horizon | Open Blue Horizon | Had,
Old 31-05-2008, 20:49   #52

Though currently boatless, I have spent most of my life on or around the water both for pleasure and for profit. I just signed up for my Social Security bennies and am actively searching for a new (to me) boat. The plan is to retire down in Panama living aboard.

My blog is about living aboard and living abroad. I just started it in May and it isn't strictly a boating blog yet. The blog will be about my search for a vessel and, eventually, I hope, my trip through the Bahamas, the Windward Passage and on to Panama.

One More Good Adventure
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31   #53

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have ours up to date with posts covering our trip from Houston to Appalachacola where we are now and have added some great photos. Hope you enjoy.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:23   #54

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
I do have a website, sadly neglected over the past year, which I'm currently redesigning. Music on the Wind Which also has a link to the blog I just started. Since I'm not going anywhere presently, the blog has little content.

The main reason for having a website/blog for me, is to let family and friends keep track of me.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 18:22   #55

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
We have ours up to date with posts covering our trip from Houston to Appalachacola where we are now and have added some great photos. Hope you enjoy.
Chuck, your blog is one of my favorites! I read yours via RSS Thanks for posting!
SweetSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 23:09   #56
KGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
We have had websites up about four years now, and we use Microsoft Front Page. Our main website is MaxingOut.com.
Your main website might be maxingout.com, but in my book it's a distant second to positivegraphics.com! I'm absolutely captivated. Someone really understands photography! Freebie cruising web masterpiece.

I have been reading this forum for a few years, but only recently registered. Now I think I'm convinced to sell the vacation property and start what is a real life adventure.

Awesome webs. Keep up the great work.
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 01:44   #57

Boat: Sea Urchin II
Sailblogs

Janny

I started up a blog to keep my two boys informed of my trip down the Australian coast. I used Sailblogs SailBlogs: Host for Sailing Blogs

I was able to bash out a post on email and therefore minimised/negate my web time (from laptop at sea). My boys were able to get a daily story (when in mobile phone range) and receive photos, plus see where my location on Google Earth. For the tech savvy kids it was a lot of fun.

The sailblogs site is great as you have posts from all over the world, every day.

Hope you enjoy.

Tim - waiting for summer down south...
Old 27-07-2008, 08:01   #58

What would be useful to sailors is a data base where all online blogs could be accessed. It would a great wiki like resource.

Some of them are packed with interesting info and others are just family photo albums.

Virtual communities need to be organized to be useful.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 10:21   #59

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I've found the blog format to be great for the ongoing maunderings and updates, perfect for friends "keeping an eye on me." Now that we're underway, it's actually more than an ongoing discussion about what needs to be done! -- Nomadness Blog

But the blog format is not good at all for static content, such as articles, reviews, or other material that is best organized in some kind of structure. The tag system is a poor substitute for menus, and is confusing for visitors who arrive at the front page (rather than via Google) since it's really just organized by date. In the past I've solved this problem with static HTML hand-edited pages (like this), but it's really not very pretty or inviting in the context of current web design... and it's a pain to maintain.

So, I'm now on the Joomla learning curve (which is kind of surreal whilst swinging at anchor). This is a content management system that should integrate blog and static content nicely in a modern-looking environment. Most web-hosting packages support it (with cpanel and fantastico it's almost one click to install), and once you get the menu-building concept (the only tricky part), it's pretty easy.

Cheers from Nomadness,
Steve
Old 27-07-2008, 10:49   #60
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am knew at sailing but from the very begining and as an integral part of my live aboard cruiser sailing project, I envisioned a Website for my recentely acquired Cheoy Lee 41 Offshore richards now in the BVI.

My site is still under construcition and I have only published technical info about my boat at Soft Air - sv Softair

I used to own a software development company so it was easy for me to contact a former designer to put it on line using a free Joomla Content Management System for easy updates from my side.

Best

JC

Tags
boat