Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.66%
Blog 144 49.15%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.29%
Too Lazy 23 7.85%
Like to keep it private 27 9.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2008, 20:58   #31

This is great I hope everyone finds this thread and keeps posting. Photos really do say a thousand words, and the info and ideas on these sites are fantastic! As we refit our new old boat, just seeing the before and after photos warms my soul. Being a female, I also like to see the interiors, decoration and galley setups, so please don't forget them!

Funny, but I had asked a fellow member here where was the photo of his boat, his answer "I didn't think anyone would be interested" -- now I ask you, isn't that the silliest thing? Who doesn't like to see more sailboats and their stories?

Finding these all in one place can keep me centered now, I was forever clicking member names to see if they had a website or blog--then forgetting what thread I was reading in the first place

I'm sorry about the 'too lazy' choice, treat it as 'too busy'--I don't know how to change it!

Thanks everyone, please keep it up, I think this is a great learning tool.

BTW, my best find on photo resizing for XP is download the free powertoy
'image resizer' from MS.com it works with a simple right click so when you find the photo you want and need it smaller you can do it in a single step. Now using Vista () I still can right click but have to open with the image resizer--one more stupid step, darn Bill
Old 16-01-2008, 00:16   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

VALIS has a website and a blog. The website is built with Dreamweaver, and lives on my ISP's server. The blog also runs on the ISP server -- the program is Wordpress.

When on a passage, I use Sailmail or the Iridium satphone to upload blog entries, including small photos. I have also been uploading daily trackfiles that can be viewed on GoogleEarth. These trackfiles show hourly positions including speed, course, windspeed, and wind direction, and are built from a running digital capture of my navsystem's NMEA data.

Here is the website: VALIS
Here is a blog entry, including the Google Earth ".kml" trackfile: Return to San Francisco - Trackfile « SAIL VALIS
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 01:26   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Guestbook with Map & photos

I have been advised of a guestbook that uses a map and a photo of your person signing the guest book. You could update your own location by sending a message to your own guestbook.

Its free... but I am having difficulty getting the code to work with the css on my normal template so I have just put it on a test page here if you would like to have a look.

A direct link to Slide that operate it is Slide Guestbook

The coding should be easier for many of the free websites like blogger, myspace etc

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 03:49   #34
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I have a website with lots of Videos, of places where I have been cruising the last 1 & 1/2 years, it started out as a personal website and has evolved into a commercal one , Check out the Greek Islands- Turkey , or Tunisia, they are linked to Youtube so they down load fairly fast. I also have the Atlantic coast of France,Portgual, -Spain ,Gib, Italy and more , most are 6-8 min long and most have music that is native to the area from local people I met along the way, turn on your speakers.
sailing Video's
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:16   #35

mine is Free Ship's Nautical Log
shiplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 03:47   #36

Boat: Lagoon 420
I started my website well in advance of leaving and would recommend doing the same to others contemplating blogging their trip. For me the learning process involves getting in there, trying things out, changing my approach once or twice before settling on a solution. Knowing this I wanted to avoid lengthy blog rewrites during our trip. I have settled on a hosted website which I manage using Microsoft Expression Web (the new Frontpage) and blog using Wordpress which is widely considered the best free installable blogging tool. This suits me as I'm of a technical background and I want the flexibility to customize the site.

All that being said I am quite impressed by some of the blog sites, some aimed at travelers, where all you need to do is subscribe and go.

My website is in the sig.
Old 18-01-2008, 03:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Good Old Boat magazine is seeking Blog recommendations:

"We have decided to take a serious interest in sailing Blogs. Besides your blog, which ones that you know of are good sources of information, and which ones have a pretty good following?"

Jerry Powlas
Technical Editor
Good Old Boat magazine
jerry@goodoldboat.com
763-494-0314

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 20:07   #38

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Mount Allen Boatyard / Catamount Sailing

Several different boats and voyages are documented there.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 00:56   #39

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I started my blog last year April, first focussed on China where I have been living the past 14 years. Once the building of my boat started, I started updating the progress, with pictures and equipment choices.

Dix 43 ‘Waratah’ (1) « Stranded on the Largest Island
Old 19-02-2008, 07:26   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Web site/Blog

We have a sailing photo gallery and a bunch of "How To" photo based blog articles..

Our Sailing Web Site

Old 20-02-2008, 16:19   #41

Boat: Irwin MK III 37 Questeria
Our website is in my signature. It is a mixture of hand written html and Microsoft word.
Ron_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 17:23   #42
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
In the sig...
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 11:09   #43

My site is as new as I am to this site, its a community site for crew members, I actually work on board cruise ships.
The intent of this site is to bring crew members together, a little like this forum.
My main aim for floatmates.com is the i-Go section I figured with so many people sailing all round the world, hence we always find ourselves in foreign places and not sure where to go or what to do when we get ashore.
But if we find a place interesting and think other crew members will too, then by posting it in i-Go directory it will be easily searchable for others.
So why not head over to The online community for crew members and tell us where your watering holes are around the world, we might even meet there one day.
Other than the i-Go section there are tones of other things that might interest you.
We have a Classified section to sell/swap and buy. You can post events of things that are happening around the world or in you area.
As I said its a new site with very little on at the moment but hopefully that will change soon with members posting all sorts of things.

Hope you guys find the time to take a look and I hope you find it useful.

Cheers,
floatmates
floatmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 19:58   #44

We have one that I started before we headed off cruising. It has old projects on it that I thought would be of interest to others.

Now that we are cruising, we post position reports and once a year we have posted Gear Reports. So others could see what has been working for us.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:02   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Getting their. slowly

Wayluya | 4th November 2007
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat