Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 10:14   #16

Boat: LIPARI 41
Re: Hookah power gas vs battery

We have used a brownie for 10 years never had a problem but having a backup pony bottle is the safest way to go. we have also run 3 hoses off a large 120 steel dive tank with same hookah rig without problems
seaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:21   #17

Boat: Outbound 46

For only a little more than the cost of a gas-powered hookah, you can buy a gas powered dive compressor and fill your own SCUBA bottles. That way, you can have the freedom of SCUBA in terms of depth and location.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:04   #18

Boat: Alberg 35 1966

RDW, Hi. I'm switching to 12v for the same reasons as others have eloquently expressed here. Also, my Alberg 35 doesn't have space to stow a clunky, stinky, soon to be rusty, gasoline motor/compressor rig. My diving interests now max out at about 30ft, where, as others have said here, the best scenery is. Been there done that at 100ft +, and survived.
One additional note that has been missed or misunderstood by other posters in this thread, is that toxic contamination of compressed breathing air is very dangerous b/c of the increase of partial pressure. The smallest amount will sicken/incapacitate you at depth, you don't want to hear the fat lady singing that song . IN my original posting I truthfully stated that we got away with an informal rig, and now re-reading my post, I realize I should have included a caveat to take more care to prevent exhaust contamination.
Peter
phstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:16   #19

Boat: magna 43

Shouldn't get bent above 33 feet unless you stayed down all day. You did the right thing sending him off to the chamber, but I would suspect he hit fire coral or some other irritant. I'm no doctor but I've gotten rashes from odd ocean creatures Checked the dive tables 40 feet for 2 1/2 hours is 5 minutes at 15 feet
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 16:51   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We were probably hitting 40 or 50 ft, I don't know, but it was shallow, could have free dove most of it, drift diving hunting Lobsters in Pompano.
He was definitely bent, called skin bends https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/d...r#.VtjaTfA8Kh8
Now on dives where we don't go deep I and my wife breath Nitrox, I am one of those guys that will tell you that air is never an approiate gas for diving, deeper of course tri-mix.
Only bringing up this to press that with a Hooka your still breathing compressed gas at depth, and you need to be careful is all.
If your not trained, read a book or two so you understand the dangers involved. Of course it is safe if you respect it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 18:56   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

I use my AC powered (genset) Hooka (Brownie) bottom cleaning and occasionally to pick up the various tools and outboards I've dropped overboard. It most areas you are not going to be anchored within hose distance of any decent reef. I'd go with scuba gear if you want extensive diving, or do what most do in the tropics and snorkel.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:58   #22

Boat: Beneteau 473

Let's say you already own a Honda eu2000i. What hookah unit makes sense to connect to it off the stern for maintenance? And can you put it in your dinghy for reef exploration?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:06   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Little Honda will continuously power up to 1600W I think or 13 amps.
So look for a compressor that pulls less than those numbers. I believe though that your issue with using it in a dinghy will be corrosion.
I took mine on a two week trip just in case I got the prop wrapped in a line or something, tied it to the mast base.
When we got back I tried to use it to clean the hull, only to find that the motor was locked solid. didn't see any corrosion on the outside, but I think the inside of any electric motor is largely iron, and iron of course rusts pretty easily?
Ended up buying another compressor.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh and a Honda and the compressor both in a dinghy, may be THE recipe for disaster, as far as getting CO into your breathing air, so be very careful with that.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:59   #25
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
How do these gas powered hookahs prevent pumping fumes into the air hoses?
Typically gas-powered hookahs have either a snorkle-type air intake or a long air intake hose. In either case, since carbon monixed exhaust is heavier than air, the idea is to place the air intake above the gas-powered compressor.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery