Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 12:11   #1

Help me (please) plan my Bahamas Cruise!

I'm beyond excited. I finally am making a dream come true for myself and my two little girls (9 and 12) - I booked a bareboat sailing cat out of Nassau for the week of 11-23 through 11-30.

My neighbor (an experienced sailing capt) is joining as well as two other family friends. The looks on my daughters' faces when I told them was just priceless.

We are all avid spearfishermen, fishermen, snorklers, freedivers, etc. We are also very intent on spending the night away from Marinas and instead finding beautiful and secluded spots to swing at the hook and look at the stars.

Would any of you good folks please help me with any suggested destinations and/or to-do's during our week in paradise? We only have a week and we will only be underway during the day, so please keep that in mind - also the boat is berthed in Nassau so we'll have to go to/from there in a 7 day period :-)

Thank you all very much - I can't wait to show everybody our adventure.

-Tim
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:26   #2

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Help me (please) plan my Bahamas Cruise!

suggest that you research the laws regarding spearfishing & fishing as the law is not forgiving.

From Nassau there really is only one logical way..South down the Exumas.. if you can make your way to Warderick Wells the snorkelling is fabulous as it is protected water
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:53   #3

I agree with Mystic 38. There are lots of spectacular and secluded anchorages in the Exumas.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 13:27   #4

I'm very familiar w/ the spearfishing/fishing laws - I've been to the Bahamas a lot, just never on my own bareboat :-)

Thank you so much for the recommendation to hit the Exumas - I can't wait to check it out!
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 08:53   #5
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Warderick Wells if you have Good dinghy. No fishing or spearfishing. Could stay there. Not spend your time moving around.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 09:53   #6

Good tips ! Warderick (also spelled, I think, Waderick) Wells, no one has said, is a part of the Park -- which is spectacular. There's a lot to experience right there -- blowholes in the rock ledges, a hike, great bird life, etc. In general, mooring in the Park is very encouraged; anchoring is discouraged. The park controls a number of moorings and these are in great demand. So, see if you can't reserve ahead because there are only so many. I think there's also a "stay limit" on the best moorings if not all but perhaps you can stay longer if you'd volunteer in some capacity. Leaving Nassau for Allen's Cay is a shorter run and many cruisers' typical. It's a fascinating place but there are venues in Nassau that bring crowds in big muscle boats from Nassau. They come to see the same things you will: white beaches with emerald colored water and.... marine iguanas.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 10:45   #7

Boat: Jefferson Rivanna 48 ACMY

The Thunderball grotto and swimming pigs near Staniel Cay are worth seeing if you have time to go that far south.
Bassman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 15:53   #8

Boat: C&C

There's lots of good snorkelling/spearfishing with a pole spear or sling around Norman's area. I don't think you need to go much further. Having the weather to dive the outside [sound side] is the key.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 17:15   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I'd skip the pigs at Staniel - unless the girls are really fond of farm animals, they are somewhat intimidating to children. Allen Cay and the iguanas are a good stop, but I prefer to anchor at Highbourne and dingy over to see the lizards. From there you can contact the park to be put on the waitlist for a mooring at Warderick. I don't think you can fish in the park. Our favourite stop was Rudder Cut Cay, where the mermaid and piano sculpture makes an interesting snorkeling diversion.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 17:34   #10

Exumas, they are great. For a one week charter dont try to get to Georgetown.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 17:43   #11

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We have been there each of the last twelve years on our own boat for months at a time.

Navtours recommendations are well done. https://www.navtours.com/fichiersUpl...017-18-low.pdf

Don't go on a marathon. Spend your time enjoying the place. Their plan going no farther than Warderick Wells is a good target, but if the weather gets in the way no worry. Enjoy your stay and come back next year for twice as long.

Bill
irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 18:04   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I don’t fish or spearfish but love the Exuamas.
Don’t go too far, 3 days each way, relax and play the weather windows.
My favorite is Hawksbill Cay, South beach.
The swimming pigs are disgusting and smelly, but a novelty for tourists.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:15   #13

Boat: Freedom 32

Join the crowd that cannot go north in the Exumas.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:21   #14

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Bahamas Land and Sea Park is not to be missed.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31   #15

Based on my limited experience, the ideas above regarding the land and sea park and Waderick Wells are excellent. As mentioned, you need to radio ahead the day before to get reservations for a mooring ball at Waderick Wells. We did make it back from Waderick to New Providence in one day, but it was a long trip. It would be a good idea to plan on two days for the trip. I also do not suggest going farther south than Waderick Wells. Allen was a good first stop for us, but we didn't manage to leave the charter company until after noon. The marina on Highbourne Cay is a good stop if you need to refill water tanks and stock up on important stuff like beer. Fuel too, but you shouldn't need that.

There are a seemingly endless number of incredible anchorages. It would be hard to go wrong other than trying to get too far south.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruise, lease