Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 09:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40CC
Goofy idea- underwater port

Having grown up in Florida, glass bottom boats were part of my reality. I've seen sailboats with ports lower on the hull, but have never hear about an underwater port. We love to snorkel and scuba dive, explore reefs and marine life- why don't we have viewing ports to enjoy sealif from the main cabin?

Obviously, there would be technical obstacles to overcome, but good thick acrylic is "clear"ly as strong as a fiberglass hull. Has anyone seen such a customization?

Be gentle with me.
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:22   #2

Boat: Beneteau 40CC
Re: Goofy idea- underwater port

Alternatively, doe anyone have an underwater camera wireless to their monitor?

That would be pretty cool.
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jacques Cousteau's famous ship "Calypso" is a former minesweeper. He added a vertical tunnel on the bow, and it had several glass viewing ports at the bottom of the bow.

As for a clear viewing port on the bottom of a production boat? I would not be surprised to see that in the future, as a few brands now have ports in the topside of the hull, above the waterline. It was not long ago that sailors would never expect to see sliding glass doors on a boat, but they are seen on the cockpit of most cruising catamarans today. And as I recall, there is some Megayacht that was recently built with a transparent dance floor so the guests could see underwater.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Don't I remember correctly that there was a production sailboat around 38' or so that had a featured clear view port. I remember seeing one in about 1975,- I think it was a Pearson and I don't think it was customized. 'anyone remember this or am I dreaming?
Old 29-10-2016, 09:52   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Might be an ok idea for a hard bottomed dink but it is really a dumb idea for your big boat!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:18   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A lot of racing sailboats have them so that you can check the keel & rudder for kelp or other obstructions hanging on your foils, slowing you down. But even in the clearest water there's little enough light that using them to see any distance or detail is problematic. Plus the price for the window's seals failing is pretty high. Especially when a camera can see underwater night & day as easy as you can look out of your house's front windows at noon. What with computer enhanced footage & all.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
A lot of racing sailboats have them so that you can check the keel & rudder for kelp or other obstructions hanging on your foils, slowing you down. But even in the clearest water there's little enough light that using them to see any distance or detail is problematic. Plus the price for the window's seals failing is pretty high. Especially when a camera can see underwater night & day as easy as you can look out of your house's front windows at noon. What with computer enhanced footage & all.
I raced on an X 119 that had one. In daylight, you could see the keel bulb just fine; at night it was a different story.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:28   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Met a guy in Cabo with one....useless....covered up with algae unless heavily maintained
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Having grown up in Florida, glass bottom boats were part of my reality. I've seen sailboats with ports lower on the hull, but have never hear about an underwater port. We love to snorkel and scuba dive, explore reefs and marine life- why don't we have viewing ports to enjoy sealif from the main cabin?

Obviously, there would be technical obstacles to overcome, but good thick acrylic is "clear"ly as strong as a fiberglass hull. Has anyone seen such a customization?

Be gentle with me.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:30   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

We have a standpipe in the middle of the boat (offset by the keel, of course). The view isn't great, but it's interesting:
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:34   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Don't forget you can also make yourself a portable viewing tube.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:25   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Good idea, and of course it can be done, but.... It is just another point with a higher potential for trouble/disaster. How much higher probably depends on more factors than I can think of or list. Any hole in the hull can leak, and at some point probably will. I have no clue as to how marine life would affect clarity (after all you won't be using bottom paint on it) either by being there, chemical etching through living and growing, or removal by you brushing or scraping All that said, the next problems are location and size, Where can you place it so you can see in a direction you will probably want to look? Possibly not the bilge, and probably not in a deep locker (although it must be a place where glare is avoided). I really do not know, although the side of the hull below the waterline seems to be a candidate. I could write on and on and waste more space, but if someone figures it out and wants to try it, good! It is your dime, and the freedom to try is one of the benefits of life at sea. BTW maybe LEDs could be an integel part of the installation? Have fun and give it a go if you are so inclined.
Old 30-10-2016, 12:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Most charter cats have escape hatches in the main saloon, not an underwater port per se but affords nice viewing in clear water. And, where else would you sail but in clear water. Buy an ex-charter cat or buy a new one and use your owner's time. Where else can you get a 4-bedroom, 4-bath over-water bungalow for less that a thousand a week (owner's rate)? Certainly not on Bora-Bora. Even if you never left the marina this would be a bargain in any tropical local.

I don't recommend compromising the hull with an underwater port.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:10   #13

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I just wrote on this thread for several minutes as we have a window set up, and once again the sevor deleted my input. This is Mana signing off
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:40   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Raced on a bulb keel race boat in the late 80s that had a underwater view port to check for weed on the keel.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:49   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Reid Stowe had one on the Schooner Anne, the boat he spent 1,152 days at sea on.

Tags
water