Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 17:57   #31

Boat: Morris 28
For those already hauling a bicycle, how about a bike trainer? They collapse to 6-8 inches. Maybe rig a generator & output energy for a fan (insert sweaty icon here)
tellytulear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23   #32

Boat: Morris 28
folding bike / trainers

...and here's a few links on higher end setups involving pedaling on board.

Richey makes a folding bike that can be put on a trainer.
Break-away Bike - Ritchey's BreakAway Travel Bicycle

A nice trainer that was recommended mimicks lateral movement (side to side) when road riding. Im thinking this would be a good thing on a boat, to counteract wave motion when undeway or on the hook.
Rock and Roll Stationary Indoor Bike Trainer - Kinetic by Kurt

Pricey stuff though
tellytulear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 13:44   #33

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Eat less.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 13:46   #34

Boat: Currently boatless
Well, that keeps you thin but it isn't going to keep your heart healthy.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 15:05   #35

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
also no fun.
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 16:09   #36

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
It seems like there is always plenty of work for me aboard.

Hank on sails, no windlass, no dinghy outboard. What about installing some sweeps on your boat? Even if you keep the engine, that would keep you in shape!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 16:24   #37

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Sorry guys... it is a mistake to confuse hard work with a proper exercise regime. You could go out and chop wood all day, and be very tired at the end of it. I have no doubt that you would be better off than if you had sat at a computer, typing on a keyboard for that period of time, but it would not be what I would consider a balanced exercise program.

Not to pick on the previous post, but almost all of those motions involve pulling with the upper body. Hard? Potentially, depending on your conditioning. But for what duration would you do each of those items, and what will you do to balance it out?

Mike
Old 27-04-2010, 18:09   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I think rowing involves the whole body,esp. if it is in a sculling shell, but I see your point. I guess you could swim most days, but I would not stick a toe out in my current marina.
Have there been any studies that demonstrate the effect of waves on your body fitness?- ie the constant shifting of weight to keep your balance in a moving sailboat. I would think that would keep you in shape. Of course tranquil harbors don't contribute much. But motivated circumnavigators do not seem to put on too much weight.
So I would say sailing itself is probably a good all around exercise.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 19:25   #39

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
But motivated circumnavigators do not seem to put on too much weight.
Or they don't eat much.

Just to be clear, being thin does not equal being fit.
Old 27-04-2010, 21:48   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I agree that eating less may make a sailor stay thin. But I feel that may contribute to overall fitness. In some classic studies in mice, they feed one group one third less than another, and this thin group had a significantly longer life span. Now I do not feel there are many studies in which you can relate mice to men. I would state to you, however, that in my practice those that are within their normal weight have much fewer health problems ( in all age categories). To be fit probably extends life even further. I see them as two contributors to the final goal- a long and healthy life. Being a physician and a sailor I would like to extend my life and fitness level for as long as possible.
Notice I did not call all sailors healthy, but I think sailing, esp with just one or two on a traditional boat, is probably a healthy exercise. I am exhausted (in a good way) after 80km on my Valiant.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 23:17   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The best exercise and weight loss program we have is to go on a passage.

Being on watch, balancing against the movement of the boat 24 hours a day, even in bed, NO resturant food (especially resturnats like McD's), clean air, less booze, less internet, less icecreams, occasional pullin a bit of rope or swinging the winch handle, liftin a gerry can or rearranging a lazarette.

All that stuff above makes your bum fall off.

Makes you fit.

You get to port and folks look at you like you're a sex-god or godess. You go back to the boat and look in the mirror and you are a sex-god! The muscles more toned, more definition, less flab, farts and belches, You're a lean, mean sailing machine!

Then we go live it up till we're fat slobs again and know ya better head to sea

(May I also mention the only heffers in the cruising mob who did the long passages trans pacific, asia, Middle east are those on cats. They don't get the exercise of a mono and have bigger freezers for more naughty food and treats.)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 23:25   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
If you owned this View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

lovely little sailing vessel you would simple go to the gym every day. A couple of laps around the deck would help too.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 03:33   #43

I am currently training as a Pilates instructor - I figure this might be a good way to make a little bit of money when we next go cruising. I think just sailing the boat and doing the chores there's ample opportunity to get a good workout in terms of strength so I think it's cardio, core and flexibility that need attention.

Cardio: run, swim, pedal one of those generators - that's my plan for next time. Not because I want to generate loads of power, but because I missed my cardio workout when offshore.

Core & Flexibility: you don't need a big foredeck to do Pilates, although whilst making way it's probably not a good idea! I often did it in the stern cabin while makeing way, there was just enough room on a 44ft sloop (I am quite little though).
You have to know what you're doing to do Pilates and get the benefits from it - watching a video or attending a handful of classes is probably not sufficient. With that small amount of impersonal training, you're likely to be just going through the motions without using the right muscles/breathing etc... If you're serious about wanting to work-out on board though, it's worth investing some time in Pilates. It's about getting to know your body better and controlling it in ways that wouldn't even occur to someone who hasn't had the training!

Have to say, looking at that vid of the exercises on the TRX thing - you really need to know what you're doing with it otherwise you're going to eventually hurt yourself - the girl in that vid has more of an idea how to use it than the guy. It's all about control, not brute force I had to stop watching at one point because it was making me wince!
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 04:11   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Never been one for excercising / getting fit just for fun. Can't see the point of being fit enough to run up Mt Everest just in case I ever want to run for a bus. If I want to do something that requires some fitness (above what my normal lifestyle requires) then it turns up eventually by doing.

Of course I don't eat twice my weight in food every day, so perhaps part of the reason why I am still slim. Albeit would not say I was very fit (but nonetheless very flexible ).

IME being based on a boat builds up a decent all round level of fitness, not by manually hauling the Anchor 12 times a day, but from simply being active - a little and often, it's then not "excercise" - it's normal activity.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 06:39   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I tend to agree with David on it not being necessary to do the gym 1hr a day and jog etc.
Fitness is not about the push ups you can do, or miles you can run.
True fitness in my opinion is down to stamina.. this has nothing to do with the above but everything to do with the body's overall ability to deal with deprivation under stress... not just arms or legs
Personally I smoke about 75gms of tobacco a week, drink alcohol as and when circumstances permit/demand, use lots of salt compared to most, drink 15+ mugs of coffee a day with 3 sugars...
Food is where I'm lucky.. can't stand the taste or texture of the junk foods so many find irresistible like McD, KFC's, Pizza's etc, and chocolate and cakes I can, and do, happily live without...
I eat between 1800/2000 calories a day on the hook and go down to maybe 1200 to 1500 when passage making.
I eat for need not pleasure... don't get me wrong.. I love good food... but where many gorge till they're bloated, or eat when I would smoke... I'll stop when I could still manage more.. before the bloated feeling hits, that has one reluctant to move for the next 2 or 3 hrs.
At 6'2" tall I weigh 75kilo's with a 31"waist...
I can't run a mile but I can do a 47day solo passage with no worries... I can free dive to 20 metres and stay down for over a minute, can swim the length of an Olympic pool underwater.. depending on tempretures... lol
A big hit in health obsessed Portugal right now are these home monitor machines you strap on your arm to measure heart/blood pressure etc...
Friends have got me to have a go at them... because of my aforementioned "bad habits that are killing me".. but at nearly 62yrs old I get perfect readings, which is better than 95% of them and people they know, going down to as young as 25.
Some will say I must be 'Genetically Lucky".. dunno bout that... but I do know you are what you eat...
Eat Lean, eat Mean...
YOU are your lifestyle... and your lifestyle is YOU..
That's what needs changing..
The Gym, Pilate's, Yoga aren't the Magic Bullet.. YOU ARE..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote