Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 08:25   #31

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Georgia and South Carolina coastline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Let's see...

Vicious Sand Flies - check!
Hot and humid - check!
Curvy backwater marshes - check!
Six to eight foot tidal ranges - check!
Poop brown water - check!
Very light summer winds - check!
Close-minded racist homophobic bigoted rednecks - check!
Great BBQ - check!

....what's not to love?
Have you even been there? My guess in no. I will buy you some BBQ is I am wrong.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:15   #32

Boat: Seafarer36c

I originally asked how this section of coastline compared to the coastline so far comming from San Fran through the canal. I didn't think I was asking about the people, more about how easy it was sail this area. There have been several areas along the way where you don't linger because you might get robbed or killed. I'm not worried about the people in Georgia.
It's been hot in a few places so far, but on the water we manage. The bugs have been pretty bad sometimes too. We manage that also with no-seeum netting. The poop brown water is a major hang-up though. Any offshore islands with clear warm water?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:51   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Georgia and South Carolina coastline.

1982 at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah Just before sunrise as a Pvt 2 we were fixing to have a formation, one of the guys said, great it's just about time those **** biting gnats show up.
I smiled and as a native Ga boy tried to educate my Yankee brethren that gnats don't bite, well as we were standing at attention the sun started coming up and the sand fleas started to eat us alive, and I understood what he was calling gnats.
They are so small, yet so painful, we called them flying teeth. Learned a trick, you could cover yourself in Avon skin so soft, then when they showed up it would kill them, and you would be covered in little black dead sand fleas in the oil that skin so soft is.
We used to say in Savannah that you knew what time of year it was by what type of bug was biting you. You can put dog flea collars in the hem of your pants, that will keep most of the chiggers out, and dusting yourself with sulphur powder will keep most of the disease carrying ticks off, just Lord knows do not get even a tiny bit of sulphur in your eyes, you will think your going blind if you do.
Then try to find a high percentage of DEET, Army used to get it in 100% strength in little green bottles, everybody had one in their helmet band.

That is the bugs, then we have something in those fresh water creeks known as a Cotton Mouth water moccasin. Rattle snakes are actually a little friendly and even a Copper Head will avoid you if it can, but a Cotton Mouth is truly evil, it will lay in wait to bite you, and will chase you too.

During Summer especially up those rivers, when it starts to get hot, the wind completely goes away, smoke will rise straight up and that is when the heat really starts to build.

However if you desire seclusion, I am absolutely sure you can find many places that have remained unchanged for Centuries, if you go when it's not Africa hot and are a wilderness person, you may be in Hog Heaven as it's called down here.

If you desire the night life, clubs and the hustle and bustle of city life, keep moving cause you will hate it here.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 13:16   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Good lord we are talk'n about the south, where Ah grew up. Ah even learned to sail on back creek behind Tybee Is.

As someone born and raised there, I think Big D covered most of the highlights. My daddy was about as southern as you could get. Oddly I still have a bit Ol the south in me. But in a good way.

Lots of tides and the Georgia state bird is the Mosquito. Least along the coast. Though sand gnat's come first. Skin so soft works best on the nats.

Mind you some of the best seafood you can find anywhere is off highway 17 near midway at the little spot called sunbury, at the sunbury crab co. They have a dock too and it's GOOD eating..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 13:53   #35

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Big D and Sailorchick are mainly correct. Most of the people I meet are not from the coast, so hard to judge. The west coast is certainly cooler and the winds seem more steady, but I am now a east coastie. Sailing outside or inside, it's all good.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 17:00   #36
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm still waiting for recommendations for coastal places to see in GA/SC. Hopefully ones that don't require a 4+ hour trip in/out.
Pretty sure I did that.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:12   #37

Big question. All relative. Charleston, little river not too bad in and out. Not many places are quick in and out plus the tides and currents are formidable but folks are patient, take your time and you will enjoy. I found Beaufort city marina and love the town.
Old 31-05-2017, 19:14   #38
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm still waiting for recommendations for coastal places to see in GA/SC. Hopefully ones that don't require a 4+ hour trip in/out.
You talking by boat?

You're 10 miles from the inlet up a river for hurricane protection. It's not going to be a short sail anywhere really. By car, plenty to see with a short drive.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:01   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
.................. I found Beaufort city marina and love the town.
I agree with Tom's opinion of Beaufort. We enjoy the town and the pleasant diverse community. Anyone looking for the "Beaufort City Marina" will find it by it's name as "Downtown Marina". It's run by a private corporation with the facility leased from the city and has an excellent and friendly staff.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:06   #40

Boat: Seafarer36c

What kind of slip fees are they getting 10 miles up some river in this area?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13   #41

Not sure about summer rates, but think around 1.50/ft plus electric. Some charge extra for pump out.

Tags
georgia