Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 20:20   #16

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
The real question, unless I missed it, is what kind of rod did you inherit? That would determine what reel should be on it. A saltwater Penn or ABU Garcia Ambassador (if baitcasting type) matched to the rod will serve you well...
Old 07-08-2010, 20:31   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
And FAR more important than the rod, is what you put in the end (lures, leaders, sinkers, bait) and how you fish it (where, speed, depth).

I've caught good fish on junk rods and hand lines and seen many a strike-out on $1000 rigs fished wrong. Learn about fishing.
Old 07-08-2010, 20:45   #18

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
And FAR more important than the rod, is what you put in the end (lures, leaders, sinkers, bait) and how you fish it (where, speed, depth).

I've caught good fish on junk rods and hand lines and seen many a strike-out on $1000 rigs fished wrong. Learn about fishing.
I got the impression from the OP that catching was not necessarily the goal, only fishing with a decent reel while enjoying a beverage. In that case, a hook with a chunk of meat on it maybe all that is required to give some shot at catching. Otherwise, simply a weight for casting may be all that is required to set the mood for some relaxing "fishing".

Old 08-08-2010, 03:57   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
If you just want a plain old spinning reel, there are zillions of choices. Penn, Pfleuger, Daiwa, Shimano, Garcia all make good reels. It's just a question of how much you want to spend.

Cabela's -- Spinning

I have one of the Cabela's house brand "Salt Striker" reels, and it seems to be a decent reel for the price, although I don't use it much.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31   #20

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Trolling while cruising - maybe..,,
it would be used in NJ and SE FL, maybe Mexico, and eventually the Caribbean.
For trolling I would be tempted to buy a half decent overhead and a nice little trolling rod. This style of fishing is a whole different kettle of fish to casting a few baits around at anchorages.

If you are going to stop most of the brutes that you will encounter out in the open ocean it is really worth investing in half decent 15 kg gear. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a nice lever drag outfit that will hold enough line to wear down most of the fish you will hook. You can go lighter, but start to risk loosing more lures.

Something like a Shimano TLD 25 would do the job fine and you can find them selling cheap http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index/products/reels/conventional/tld.html

I actually own and use the older model Daiwa Sealine LD50H, which although discontinued can be found very cheap on run-out specials. The reel has served me well and I have no complaints. It was replaced by the following,
http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=reels&reels=overhead&product=saltis tld

Any half decent 15 kg trolling rod will get you out of trouble. Just make sure you have a decent rod holder, a gaff and a good fillet knife!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
After they tell you which rig to buy (it doesn't really make that much difference - unless you want to talk like the sunglass thread ) Get a couple of sizes of gold spoons.
So basically anything used or online by reputable manufacturer will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Based on previous posts I was thinking just some gorgonzola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSeas View Post
I got the impression from the OP that catching was not necessarily the goal, only fishing with a decent reel while enjoying a beverage. In that case, a hook with a chunk of meat on it maybe all that is required to give some shot at catching. Otherwise, simply a weight for casting may be all that is required to set the mood for some relaxing "fishing".

Yeah something like that. Just looking for something decent for some relaxing fishing. Don't see myself becoming all hardcore, but catching something on on occasion would be nice. Of course that's why I'm also getting a pole spear.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:34   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSeas View Post

You're smart guys! I enjoy both.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41   #23

Good thing about trolling is you just drop the thing – one of any of the lures the dude at the tackle store recommends - over the side while you are cruising along and hope for the best. No messing around with bait and you don’t even have to hold the thing. Just make sure you have some idea of how to set the drag and once you have the strike alarm on its sit back, enjoy the breeze and maybe get a fish for dinner.

If you want simpler try a plain spoon lure on a heavy braid handline.

Works for me, but each to their own!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Given this information I suggest you get a Penn 4500 spinning reel.
Heh.
I would have said Shimano.
My son likes the Penn. I don't like the "clunky" feel of them.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 17:40   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Chris,

A light/med rod and that Penn reel or equivalent - I have a Shimano 3000 and my son has a Penn 3000. Plenty enough for 12" whiting or a 2' snook.

Fishing for food while sailing?
This is my setup. I don't have a heavy rod (well we actually own 10 or more of all sorts at home) on the boat, nor a gaff hook. No need. Just the reel and a syringe of cheap rum or some such similar stuff.

When the drag sings I slow down, sit on the step, tighten the drag and reel it to the back of the boat, face up out of the water. It just sort of hangs there so the rum shot is easy. Then drag it up and hack it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100114.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	18354   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100115.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	18355  

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I used Penn Senator 5/0 or 6/0 (3160) for trolling.
Doesn't matter what I used for casting/stillfishing, as I never caught anything that way.

See also
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rigs-1755.html

And
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...g-28058-3.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I used Penn Senator 5/0 or 6/0 (3160) for trolling.
Doesn't matter what I used for casting/stillfishing, as I never caught anything that way.

See also
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rigs-1755.html

And
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...g-28058-3.html

I have gone through phases were I have been everything from a mad keen surfcaster/rock fisherman to up rivers hunter bass; all successfully. Still the idea of trolling behind the yacht really makes a lot of sense. This and spearfishing are now my preferred methods.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for all the suggestions. Guess it's going to come down to a coin toss. Now if I could only find a 3 sided coin, since it will most likely be a pair of Penns, Shimanos, or Yoyos for trolling, and then another reel for the pole.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:34   #29

Boat: 1981 Com-Pac 23
I grew up fishing NJ, mostly around Barnegat Bay. For fishing the bays and near shore I would recommend a 7' spinning rod rated for 15-20# and a spinning reel capable of holding at least 200 yards of 20# line. All the big name brands will work just fine... you will hear a lot of opinions on what is the best, but they are only opinions. I fished for years with a South Bend Combo from Walmart that cost me $30. It worked just fine, landed me countless fish, and lasted many years. Do not get a 6/0 senator or similar trolling setup. It is WAY overkill for the area you plan to fish. It will be heavy and you will not enjoy fishing with it. For the price, I think it is hard to beat Ugly Stick rods. They are around $40 dollars and nearly indestructable. Sure there are lighter more sensitive rods out there, but for your purposes I think they are the best value.

For bait fishing in NJ, use a simple carolina or fishfinder rig. You can google them, but essentially you have a sliding weight, followed by about 3ft leader, and then your hook.

In the spring and fall, look for stripers. Fluke (summer flounder) are in the summer. Bluefish can be caught anytime.

For fluke use either a live killie (bait fish sold at any bait store) or a strip of squid. Use 30# leader and a 3/0 hook. For stripers use either clams or bunker for bait. I use 30-60# leader and 3/0 - 8/0 circle hooks depending on the size fish I am targeting. For bluefish use bunker or other cut bait, with 60# or wire leader, and 3/0 - 8/0 circle hooks.

For artificials, I like Storm shads (or similar brand) in the bunker or pearl color. They are pre-riged soft plastic baits with the weight and hook molded into the plastic body. Use use the ones between 4-6 inches with the 5 inch being my favorite. Also bomber lures (any color with silver bottom/sides) and bucktail jigs (white or chartreuse) are popular lures as well.

Good luck and have fun. Experiment with different techniques, locations and tides. There is some good fishing in NJ if you put in the time.
BlueWaterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 07:55   #30
Marine Service Provider

Thanks BlueWaterMD.

Yeah forget the big trolling setup. I want small, light, easy to use, easy to store, etc. That's why I'm thinking maybe just a few yo-yos for trolling. Finally figured out that the old pole I have is a spinning pole, I think 7', so that will help narrow down the other reel.

I cruised through Barnegat on my delivery trip, and may actually spend a little time there before heading South. Probably near Ocean Beach.

Tags
fishing