Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 20:11   #1

Boat: Monterey, 250CR, 27'
Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

I know there are tuns of threads about keeping a gun on board. But what if i want to fire off some rounds while i'm floating around on Lake Ontario. I'm a liscenced gun owner, gun is registured, boat is way off shore, no one is around (close enough to get hit). Can i get in trouble?
amanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 20:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

Possible trouble if the adjoining state has oppressive restrictions. In Michigan, boat must not be moving under power and minimum distance to occupied buildings of at least 450 feet exceeded. There is at least one gun range west of Cleveland blasting over Lake Erie. Seems like it should be OK. I've known guys who brought a clay launcher aboard. Canadians are a bit up tight on this.

A bit cold out there right now. I doubt you will run into anyone, much less anyone who wants to pick a fight.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 06:50   #3

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Why take the chance with ricochet? Modern center fire rounds have range of excess of 5 miles. Rim-fire .22 have deadly range of 11/2 mile. Cannot think of a reason to shoot, except give the anti's a arguing point of irresponsible people with guns. Saying no one around is NEVER a reason to shoot. I shoot all the time,hunting,varmint and predator control,competition,sport. Never with-out knowing there is nothing down range that could be a possible accident. Sounds like you are one of those waiting to happen.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 06:52   #4

Also,big difference between shotgun and rifle. I am sure no self-respecting gun club allows rifle shooting over water. Shot-guns have a range of yards,not miles.
Old 22-03-2014, 06:55   #5

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Fail to see the point. Just blasting away to hear the noise?
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:12   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35

In Canada it is illegal to fire a gun from a vehicle.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:22   #7

To the OP, while in the waters of any of the lakes you are still within the jurisdiction of someone. Whether 'they' are there or not is immaterial to the fact that discharge of a firearm may be in violation of rules or regs. Check local gun regs. Operationally, always be aware of what's down range even 135 degrees to each side of your aiming point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
Sounds like you are one of those waiting to happen.
This translates as, "do like I do or you are irresponsible'. Gun ownership is likely to be 'responsible-ed' right out of existence at the very hand of the ultra-responsible gun owner. Shootin at tin cans shouldn't imply irresponsibility.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:23   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pretty easy to be well over 5 miles offshore on any of the Great Lakes. At the distance, the noise would not likely be heard on shore. Any skip off the water will remove a lot of energy. I suppose the OP could be popping random random debris. A clay pigeon launcher & shotgun could be fun. The west-of-Cleveland cliff side gun range was well known to locals and the keep clear zone was 5 miles. It may be on the charts but it has been many years since we lived there. I can't say what guns they were shooting but as a hunter, I always thought it a bit odd a range operator and clients would risk shots over open water. I have never had much trouble finding a place to shoot where I could plan on earth berms behind.
Old 22-03-2014, 07:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
You've never heard of the sea dog, cousin of the prairie dog?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:32   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I did see an article where a terminally ill young man had a bucket list and just wanted to be able to fire off his guns. Fine. Maybe you can take him?

Ore. teen with deadly brain cancer crosses off topless-bar visit from bucket list - NY Daily News

On his list was also that he had hunted a bull elk and wanted to shoot a bear. Strange trophies for the Pearly Gates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	77949  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:47   #11

I would imagine it was the hunt, not the trophies, more or less. Each to their own, I know my bucket list includes owning the Rolling Rock brewery. But alas, Budweiser now owns them. Out of reach maybe
Old 22-03-2014, 11:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Correct on the Canadians. I do not recommend carrying a gun in Canada. This can cause a lot of grief if you don't have a ton of paperwork.

Well - yes. We do lots of pointless things for entertainment. Some people drive cars fast, some jump off cliffs or out of planes or ski ridiculously fast. When I was given the opportunity to go to a gun range with the Barrien County sheriff Deputies and the two Thompson sub-machine guns they still have in their evidence locker from the St Valentines Day Massacre I didn't say Not thanks, I don't see the point. Not my place to moralize about one man's LEGAL hobby. By the way, those who own and plan to be competent with a gun had better practice or they are nothing but dangerous.

When my father went to Flint High School, he lettered in rifle & pistol on the HS gun team. They carried their guns to school and kept them in their lockers. I think the locker is scary today but shooting teams again is a great idea. Everyone should have the opportunity to shoot, even if they never own a gun. We rail on about the evils of guns but its only 'unfortunate' that our kids die in cars, drinking, doing drugs.
Old 22-03-2014, 11:53   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanphoto View Post
I know there are tuns of threads about keeping a gun on board. But what if i want to fire off some rounds while i'm floating around on Lake Ontario. I'm a liscenced gun owner, gun is registured, boat is way off shore, no one is around (close enough to get hit). Can i get in trouble?
What kind of gun? makes a pretty big difference sometimes.
Old 22-03-2014, 12:21   #14

Note to self: cancel any plans to swim in lakes in North America, particularly avoid lakes where 'no-one is around'.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 13:01   #15

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Note to self: cancel any plans to swim in lakes in North America, particularly avoid lakes where 'no-one is around'.
Excellent idea as you will be safer and have more pleasure cruising in the Caribbean or along the east coast.

Up here on the Great Lakes it is normally buggy, cold, rainy, and foggy most of the summer. Plus the natives like myself spend the summer months drinking beer and taking pot shots from our modest yachts at anything that floats or moves. That is when we are not in the forest hunting, drinking beer, and skinning anything that breathes.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake ontario, ontario