Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 09:29   #61

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34
Correct... No AC on the batteries. Your 44MBH is about 30 amps at 220V will be 550 amps ish at 12V. So really less then an hour if you could run it on the batteries. Really its far too high a amp load for your 4 batteries anyway. So no 3.5 ton AC without the generator or shore power.

There are small 5k btu 12V units that do run on batteries for a few hours, but your talking one cabin at most at that size..

Yes the 1 to 1-1/2 day was without A/C
Thank! Once again I have learned a new calculation.

My generator is the ONAN GENSET 7Kva 220V / 50Hz + COCOON.

It's supposed to be serviced every 50 hours. If I used it daily to run my air cons I would need to service her every month.

Do you service your own genset? Or do you let the agent do the servicing? I am afraid I will nullify the warranty if I service it on my own.

Same for my yanmar 40 hp x 2 engines.

Would you recommend servicing your own air cons?
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:49   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Entertainment

As long as you keep records of the service you perform, You should be fine changing the oil and checking the belts, etc. It all goes in the maintenance log anyway.

Yes I do my own maintenance. If I had AC I would work on that too. But more because I know the magic juju of AC systems. You'll need a little training for AC work. Refrigerant release can cause injury or death. Chemicals in some refrigerants can cause heart arhythmia and displace oxygen.

Lucky most marina ac issues relate to clogged strainers and air filters.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:10   #63

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34
As long as you keep records of the service you perform, You should be fine changing the oil and checking the belts, etc. It all goes in the maintenance log anyway.

Yes I do my own maintenance. If I had AC I would work on that too. But more because I know the magic juju of AC systems. You'll need a little training for AC work. Refrigerant release can cause injury or death. Chemicals in some refrigerants can cause heart arhythmia and displace oxygen.

Lucky most marina ac issues relate to clogged strainers and air filters.
If there are any good sites or information books on maintaining a good boat I like to know about it. I would certainly appreciate any info links u can give me to increase further my learning curve.

Thanks sailorchick!
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:03   #64

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well....baaaaaack to entertainment. I'm in my second week of living aboard. I have a 24" LED screen (low draw), a DVD player and now with the help of a Tmobile 4G stick, I have internet on the boat. I have not seen any other liveaboards here yet, so I haven't made any friends yet. The cruisers passing through like to keep to themselves. I'm looking forward to taking off south. 10 months and counting.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 12:56   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Tmoble 4G works really well in the west coast anyway. Better coverage and good price too

I found it takes a month or so at a new marina for the other live aboards to really get to know you.

On learning boat systems be it electrical, mechanical/HVAC and plumbing, Gee I've spent 40 years learning all facets of engineering. from Digital, AC/DC, HVAC, Plumbing, Plus computer programming, and engine rebuilding. Plus sewing, cooking, animal husbandry, fashion coordinator... well you get the idea.

I read manufactures data sheets for fun... Boring girl I know. Google is your friend for that though now a days.

CF actually has a lot of information on it. The trick is finding it.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 13:36   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i am anchored i have no internetz unless i come to shore--so i can watch stuff on my laptop--i already have weeds, the showtime series, i want all of mash, and some others--fun stuff, for anchorages....otherwise--

exactly what phil said......
and books, which recycle easily, as there are trading "libraries" everywhere
everything around me, because i do not have the mesmerizing television cycloptic god to worship in my boat....
i sail in high season....

and i have a cat.

during hurrycame season, i have you guys.......and repairs...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 12:28   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

On board we have a notebook laptop, monitor for watching the occasional film stored on the external terrabyte drive, external speakers, a car stereo, board games, cards, rummikub and hundreds of books.

In the summer our entertainment is mostly people watching from the cockpit and reading. Once colder, wetter weather arrives then we tend to spend more time below deck playing games or cards, or if the wind is howling and the wind gen is pumping in the amps then we'll watch a movie or two via the inverter.

We have wifi internet on board via a local contract, amazing how that helps to eat up time when the weather is too poor for walking and exploring.
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote