Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 08:21   #31

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Electric Folding Bike Reviews?

We found that we rarely used our bikes so we sold them.
Old 27-06-2022, 08:29   #32

I was discussing e-bikes with another member of our club. We agreed that if you can roll your e-bike from your boat to the dock and onto land, or if there's a secure lockup on land, they're going to be awesome, but if you had to wrestle them in and out of a dink TWICE for every shore trip... it would get old fast. And in many ports, a flashy e-bike (and its owner) just have to be very tempting targets...

Lots of caveats.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 08:40   #33

not to spark (no pun intended) a controversial issue but given the concern over lithium batteries and such. Does anyone have concerns putting these in a deck locker that may occasionally take on water and corrode or damage the batteries? Do you remove the batteries and store elsewhere? I know the concern over batteries may be a bit overhyped given how ubiquitous they are but these are sizable batteries and likely to get some wear and tear...
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 08:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
not to spark (no pun intended) a controversial issue but given the concern over lithium batteries and such. Does anyone have concerns putting these in a deck locker that may occasionally take on water and corrode or damage the batteries? Do you remove the batteries and store elsewhere? I know the concern over batteries may be a bit overhyped given how ubiquitous they are but these are sizable batteries and likely to get some wear and tear...
Many e-bikes have a simple mechanism to release the battery and carry it. You can also have a second spare battery, some even an attachment on the frame to double your range.

I would take them out if you are not going to use it for long. Many bikes are ok with exposure to water to some degree, depending on your drive if you have a belt it will be better but little bit more money. Otherwise proper chain maintenance and such. The electrics are typically insulated from water contact but some brands will do a better job than others at this.

Still I would not store any expensive bike out on deck (locker or not), unless it is a cheap one then sure.
argosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 08:50   #35

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We found that we rarely used our bikes so we sold them.
I had a non-electric folding bike for almost 15 years, and I used it all the time, up and down the ICW and in the Bahamas. Then I was singlehanded on a 33-ft. boat and the bike in bag lived in the quarter berth. It was easy to throw in the dinghy to go ashore.

Now I'm on a powerboat in the Med and with a bigger tender and dryer inside storage on the boat, as well as a husband to help get the bike on and off the boat, so I've upgraded to an e-bike.

I admit, the e-bike would not have worked so well for me on my last boat. I probably wouldn't have made the change.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 08:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinekling View Post
I had a non-electric folding bike for almost 15 years, and I used it all the time, up and down the ICW and in the Bahamas. Then I was singlehanded on a 33-ft. boat and the bike in bag lived in the quarter berth. It was easy to throw in the dinghy to go ashore.

Now I'm on a powerboat in the Med and with a bigger tender and dryer inside storage on the boat, as well as a husband to help get the bike on and off the boat, so I've upgraded to an e-bike.

I admit, the e-bike would not have worked so well for me on my last boat. I probably wouldn't have made the change.
IMO an e-bike, folding or not, has to be light-weight. This is either achievable by a small battery/motor, or carbon fiber frame. You have to be able to pedal it without the motor in case you cannot charge.

I have a full-size e-bike that has a small battery/motor. It weighs 32 lbs, so easy to handle, fixie (single gear), but the range is maybe 20 miles on the flat. It is light enough to pedal without any assist though. I am tempted to get a second battery but they're not cheap. Mine's a Roadster V2, was about 1k usd new.

I just will have to store her on deck somehow, don't think she'll fit thru the companionway.
Old 27-06-2022, 09:25   #37

I read an article in a UK about a large fire in a London high rise that was caused by the battery in an eBike. The London Fire Brigade(LFB) had some interesting comments and recommendations about eBikes and apartments that would apply to boats.

The number of lithium battery fires from eBikes and eScooters are increasing according to the LFB but they only mention how many fires are happening vs the rate of fires. Having said that, the LFB information is helpful.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/...-firefighters/

Quote:
London’s firefighters have seen a huge spike in e-bike and e-scooter incidents as they have become more popular in recent years and have issued several warnings about how ferocious the fires can be.

Just this year, crews have already attended 32 fires involving e-bikes and another seven involving e-scooters. So far in 2022, there have been a further 17 fires involving other lithium-ion batteries and last year, in total there were more than 100 fires in the capital involving lithium-ion batteries.

The Brigade’s Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety, Charlie Pugsley, said: “It’s incredibly concerning that we are continuing to see a rise in incidents involving e-bikes.
While the numbers of fires is a raw number, and not a rate, the information is still valuable. Knowing how many eBike and eScooters in use to get a rate would be more interesting but the raw numbers of fires is concerning. One is not seeing lithium powered cars catching fire at this level.

Even if the chance of having a battery fire for an eBike or eScooter is low, the penalty for failure is high, especially in a boat.

Quote:
“When these batteries and chargers fail, they do so with ferocity and because the fires develop so rapidly the situation can quickly become incredibly serious.
On a boat, with limited ways to escape the interior, one needs to be aware of how a charging battery will block egress if the battery catches fire. Having the battery "eject" it's contents causing multiple fires is a wee bit concerning.

Quote:
“These items are often stored in communal areas and corridors and can block people’s only means of escape.

“Another issue with fires involving lithium-ion batteries and which we saw at yesterday’s fire is that when they fail, they eject their contents over a wide area which can lead to multiple areas of burning in the room where the fire has started.”

The Brigade’s advice is to never store e-bikes or e-scooters in communal areas as if they are involved in a fire, it can easily block the only means of escape.
Quote:
Our fire investigators have determined that many of the e-bike incidents have involved e-bike conversion kits (to convert a standard push bike into an electric bike rather than purpose built ones). These only provide the motors and control gear but batteries must be sourced separately.

Assistant Commissioner Pugsley added: “There is a significant risk posed by the e-bikes which have been converted and we are predominantly seeing fires in ones which have been purchased from online market places and batteries which have been sourced on the internet, which may not meet the correct safety standards.
Quote:
E-bike and e-scooter safety advice:
  • Always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.
  • Batteries can get warm during their use and it is advisable to allow them to cool down before attempting to re-charge as they could be more susceptible to failure.
  • Batteries should always be charged on hard flat surfaces where heat can dissipate.
  • Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as spares as this can increase the chance of damage to cells.
  • You should always make sure you unplug your charger once it’s finished charging. Always follow manufacturers’ instructions when charging and we would advise not to leave it unattended or while people are asleep.
  • Ensure you have smoke alarms fitted in areas where e-bikes or e-scooters are being charged and make sure they are tested regularly.
  • Never block your escape route with anything, including bikes and scooters. Store them somewhere away from a main through route.
Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 13:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I read an article in a UK about a large fire in a London high rise that was caused by the battery in an eBike. The London Fire Brigade(LFB) had some interesting comments and recommendations about eBikes and apartments that would apply to boats.

The number of lithium battery fires from eBikes and eScooters are increasing according to the LFB but they only mention how many fires are happening vs the rate of fires. Having said that, the LFB information is helpful.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/...-firefighters/

While the numbers of fires is a raw number, and not a rate, the information is still valuable. Knowing how many eBike and eScooters in use to get a rate would be more interesting but the raw numbers of fires is concerning. One is not seeing lithium powered cars catching fire at this level.

Even if the chance of having a battery fire for an eBike or eScooter is low, the penalty for failure is high, especially in a boat.

On a boat, with limited ways to escape the interior, one needs to be aware of how a charging battery will block egress if the battery catches fire. Having the battery "eject" it's contents causing multiple fires is a wee bit concerning.

Later,
Dan
One factor you're not considering is that you are (presumably) in the boat or on the boat while charging, so you will notice signs of overheating-smoking before it becomes a problem. The house/appt fires might be going up also because e-bike adoption goes up every year, hard to quantify.
Old 27-06-2022, 13:38   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosail View Post
One factor you're not considering is that you are (presumably) in the boat or on the boat while charging, so you will notice signs of overheating-smoking before it becomes a problem. The house/appt fires might be going up also because e-bike adoption goes up every year, hard to quantify.
Or maybe one does not notice the overheating battery. It depends one where and what time one is charging. One of the points is one needs to make sure one has the ability to detect an over heating battery.

Surely the number of fire is going up because more eBikes and eScooters are being used, but the number of fires seems high to me. Electric cars are being used in large numbers, and they catch fire from time to time, but not like what London is seeing with eBike and eScooters.

My old NiMH tool battery overheated and seemed to be on the way to catching fire when I found it smoking. None of my other tool batteries had ever done this and there was no reason for that well maintained and name brand battery to have overheated, started smoking, and melting. It has happened to other people but it surely does not happen often. I would think there are more battery power tools in London vs eBikes and eScooters but they are not talking about fires started by tool batteries.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 15:39   #40

I know this topic references E bikes, but has anyone purchased and installed one of those 49cc 4 stroke gas engine bike engine kits? I can see a lot of advantages. A gallon of gas would last a very long time. No charging. Legal in the US just about every place I know of. No charging. A lot cheaper. Less weight.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 06:20   #41

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

For comparison, the smallest folding bike (not ebike) with 20" wheels is the Tern BYB P8, at $1299, folded size 13.8" × 31.9" × 20.5" (35 × 81 × 52 cm). The Bromptons may be the smallest for 16" wheels, at $1050, folded size 23"L x 22"H x 10.6"D (58.5L x 56.5H x 27D cm). For ebikes, the Brompton C Line Electric at $3999, folded size 25.3'' H x 23'' W x 10.6'' D (64H x 54W x 27D cm).
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 07:15   #42

Boat: Hunter 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullislandken View Post
I just got a Lectric XP 2.0. 64 pounds and “bigger” than I thought it would be. $999. A lot of bike for a low price.

I had two old folding bikes on my last boat. They were about the max I could handle carrying through the boat to load into the dinghy. I would guess they were under 40 pounds. The 64 pound Lectric, and maybe 56 pounds without the battery is not going to happen on my next boat. I am 65 now and maybe having it in a big Tupperware so it wouldn’t get hung up and scratch everything might help.

I also built a Swytch kit into my old city bike. $700. The nice thing it only adds about 8 pounds to your existing bike. Simple, but works. I think it might be a good way to go by adding to a West Marine folding bike. There’re better folding bikes out there for sure and they would even be better with the Swytch kit.
I have the same Lectric folding bike and I love it.........for taking on the rack on my 5th wheel RV. I have considered how to take it on my 41' sailboat and cant get there. Too heavy and cumbersome. I have the front and rear basket kit so folding it is not an option. I have thought of trying to secure it to the rear swim platform and that might work and I might try it, but getting on the dingy adds more complications. Maybe much easier on a power boat. Other than that, it only goes on RV trips.
Poldhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 07:20   #43

Boat: Hunter 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
Great point. I have heard that New York City has HUNDREDS of lithium battery fires a year.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.YrsOAnbMKMo
Poldhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 07:29   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The Carbo X looks very good to me. 13.3kg is really, really good -- same as my non-electric Dahon Jetstream EX, which I have retired from boat use because it's just a little too bulky. The price does not look unreasonable.

The single speed and carbon belt means no chain and no deraillieur -- which is really key for a boat bike. I have been looking at a non-electric Bike Friday with belt drive and hub gears, which is just as heavy and just as expensive as the electric Carbo.

I just don't see where to buy the Carbo in Europe
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 08:04   #45

We have folding PEDEGO E bikes. 57 pounds with batteries. Not cheap. Carbon drive no chain. Always keep them in a bag to protect from elements and salt water. They fit in the cockpit.
gillesgiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, reviews