Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2022, 08:57   #16

Re: Electric Folding Bike Reviews?

I ended up getting an electric longboard. They are easy to store, to dinghy, mine is waterproof (ish), 18mile range, faster than you care to ride it (it has slow settings), its fun, its easy and it was 500$ which is much cheaper than the nicer ebikes, which are a pain to store and move around with much more to rust.

Checkout the meepo shuffle v4s ER.
leandroflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:41   #17

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Check out the Carbo. Carbon fiber, electric folder, in the $2500 range, also possible to have a belt-drive system. Hardest part of a folding bike is the weight, especially if on a dinghy but this takes care of that for you!
argosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 09:47   #18

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosail View Post
Check out the Carbo. Carbon fiber, electric folder, in the $2500 range, also possible to have a belt-drive system. Hardest part of a folding bike is the weight, especially if on a dinghy but this takes care of that for you!
If only the Carbo's weren't so expensive.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 10:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
If only the Carbo's weren't so expensive.
Compared to the basic folders sure, a brompton not so much, to other carbon fibers it's a lot cheaper. There is no in person dealer support however, you get it in the mail and go from there.
Old 22-06-2022, 10:20   #20

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have a 20" fat tire folding GOTRAX. Bought on Amazon 20 months ago for $750. Company in Texas and delivered in about a week to the east coast. Not light (around 60 lbs with battery). 20 MPH is plenty. Have been happy with it.

Would buy again, but here are the things I would look for if in the market after having this one.

Thumb throttle, not twist (mine is thumb, other on board is twist).
Maybe go with 16" fat tire. Wanted 20" for "off road/ rough road" riding but think a fat tire 16" might be OK.

Battery under the rear rack or in front of seat post. The bikes with batteries behind the seat post have a much shorter distance between seat and handlebars. I'm 6'4" and it is hard to ride that one. My battery is inside the frame which is OK but have to fold the bike to get it out. Can charge it without removing so not a major deal.

Full pedal not just pedal assist. Many times I prefer to not pedal at all.

Make sure it is Class 2. Class 3 are faster but technically cannot ride them on some bike paths.

Maybe get a spare battery. They are expensive but having the extra range would be nice at times.

I figure that I have saved close to the cost of the bike between less Ubering and being able to ride several miles to get repairs done (instead of using a spot within walking distance from boat) I cruise a lot on the boat and the bike is my mode of land transportation.

They are a game changer IMHO and You will not regret getting one.

Bill
EDIT - I would suggest getting at least a 350 watt motor (think 500 watts is max in US). Friends with 250 watts say it is just not enough when loaded up with provisions. Saddlebags are also handy - can get 3 cases of wine in one trip.
Moontide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:11   #21

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Several years ago I got the Ancheer folding e-bike.
https://www.ancheer.shop/collections...42127222964447

I love it!! Not to heavy, good battery range, the quality of the build is first class with details well thought out.
Like battery charging can be done with batt in bike, & takes only 2+ hrs to fully charge.

Not so happy with the 20" wheels, a bit unstable on bad roads, USVI roads are the pits!
I'm 79 and have back probs so rely on it to go most everywhere.

It folds up nice & stores by the solon table on the non passageway side very nicely. Went 3 wks to windward and it never moved.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:03   #22

Boat: Cooper 416

We recently replaced one of our Bromptons with a Brompton e-bike. While expensive, it's simple, (relatively) light weight, and folds small enough that it's painless to store aboard and to transfer to and from the dinghy. The electric assist is controlled by a level selector on the control panel and by the chosen gear (comes as either a 2 or 6 speed) based on pedal pressure. The battery takes up some space in the front cargo bag so the carrying capacity isn't as great as the unpowered bike, but with the rear rack there's plenty of ability to haul groceries and stuff when in port. In my mind the only downsides to Bromptons (and probably to small wheeled bikes in general) is that they take about 20% more energy then full size, plus potholes and other road defects are much harsher with the small wheels. However everything is a tradeoff and we couldn't be happier with our choice.
Old 22-06-2022, 13:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
Sorry forgot that part. Fifield Jetty 4.0
Thanks for your info. Planning storage. What are the dimensions of the folded bike.
TranquilaFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 14:14   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have had a folding Brompton since 2000 and really enjoyed riding it while in the Med. There are many folding bikes out there but most do not have the proper geometry for riding, and that is especially true for electric folders. Definitely start with a good design for pedaling; motors on a folder are usually 250W which is enough to make pedaling fun and hills less painful but not enough to be full electric. I put a Swytch kit (250W) on my Brompton a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. Today I would buy an electric Brompton if I were in the market.

I'm not sure where the idea that a small folder takes 20% more energy to ride than a full sized bike - this is simply not so for well-designed folders. The problem is that if the geometry is wrong it becomes very difficult to apply any real power to the pedals, which is why it is important to get one that fits and has proper bike geometry (relationship of seat, pedals, and handlebar). Even with a motor the ability to pedal is important.

Since I converted the Brompton I bought a 26" fat tire mountain bike with 1000W motor (legal here in Oregon). It is a beast, and in no way something to put on a cruising boat. But with the exception of steep climbs up buttes in central Oregon I rarely use that power - the display typically shows under 100W and up to 200W on typical hills. The primary force for driving the bike comes from my legs, not the motor, and I rarely use anything more than the lowest level of boost (on either bike). Part of having a bike is to get exercise... but having a motor takes the sting out of the hills.

The most obvious advantage to a Brompton is that it folds smaller than any other bike I have seen, so easy to take below and store. The motor kit has very little impact on its size. The less obvious advantage is that unfolded the wheel hubs are as separated as on a full sized bike, and the relative location of the handlebars, pedals, and seat are close to a full sized bike. Most folders are too short and too low so are difficult to pedal.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 03:59   #25

I like the Brompton folding size plus your can get parts for it almost anywhere. The big downside are the small 16 inch wheels. 20 would have been a lot better.
SV Tom Crean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 06:19   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
EDIT - I would suggest getting at least a 350 watt motor (think 500 watts is max in US). Friends with 250 watts say it is just not enough when loaded up with provisions. Saddlebags are also handy - can get 3 cases of wine in one trip.
Actually the federal gov mandates 750 watt and 28 mph as the limit and most or all of the states follow this. But these class 3 bikes are not allowed on many bike paths or trails and some states say they can't use the designated bike lane on the side of the road. If you are in one of these few states (I'm not) then just get a 500 watt sticker off of eBay and stick it on your motor.
Old Today, 06:45   #27

Yeah that’s the conclusion we came to as well. Unless you have a dinghy big enough for two people and two folded ebikes , going ashore entails two or more trips. Or you’re limited to using them from marinas. And they do take up a lot of spaces.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33   #28

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
CLutter. Rent them in port.
Slip through the waves and sky lean. We already have the kitchen sink.
Or Buy a 65’ Jeanneau and put them in the garage
LOL! The "e" on E-bike is not for exercise! Unless you count straining to lift it on/off the boat. Rent in port is excellent advice. Or hire a local guide in a port city. Or take a bus. Oh! I get it. Reduce carbon emissions. Walk, jog, or rent a local horse?

Never turn your back on a Li-ion battery pack in a boat at sea. There is an amazing amount of energy in them. Be prepared to catapult it overboard.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:35   #29

The issue with Bromptons is they are highly valuable and recognizable by street thieves. Yes they can fold to even fit into an IKEA bag and put in overhead compartment in a plane. The plus side too is you can easily sell it for the same price you bought it (I've done this). The riding position will be better but how long are you riding for?? If you plan on doing a long multi-day trek, I would rather rent a full-size bike.

Bottom line for me is I want the lightest weight so will be carbon fiber frame (not just forks), preferred e-bike (but will be light so not long range prolly just 200/250w), and a belt drive (less rust issues!!). Getting that under 3K maybe maybe you can get a brompton e-bike but it wont be carbon. The Carbo e-bike fits the bill but of course it doesn't have the same reliability/dealer network/parts avail so it is a risk, and it is expensive (mid 2k $$). There may be a competitor out there I'm missing.

Having a swim platform (cut-away transom) I think you will be fine with a brompton or other folder though going into a dinghy in a calm-ish sea state.

Really depends on the sailor, everything is a compromise as usual
Old Today, 07:38   #30

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

We are in Turkey and I bought a bike made here in country, the Alba Fold 2. Most Turkish made e-bikes have steel frames and they are cheap, but heavy, and obviously not good on a boat. This bike is aluminum, weighs 19.5 kilos (43 lbs) with the battery, and it's really a lovely piece of equipment. Eight gear Shimano shifter, 5 levels of pedal assist, 350W hub motor. I paid about $1100 USD after upgrading to a nicer color LCD display and a larger battery. I'm very happy with it - especially as I recently had to have knee surgery for a meniscus tear, and it has been great to get me my freedom back sooner. I can see how much power I am using on the screen, and when I'm not recuperating, I like the challenge of trying to pedal fast enough to get my wattage down to 0 - but then when a hill or a headwind comes along, I have the assist there.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, reviews