Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 07:47   #46
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: E-Scooters for Use Ashore

I just thought about something, but if your getting the scooter sent to your home in Michigan (I live here also) how are you going to get it to the boat? I don't think the airlines will allow a large battery like that as a carry on and you can't put it in checked luggage. Or at least, please don't. When I bought my Rad bikes that was a consideration with the batteries.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:49   #47

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

I do triathlon racing(well, anyway before the virus) all over the US. I've used https://www.bikeflights.com/ many a time to get a bike , in one piece, to a destination.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:54   #48

For corrosion treatment use Corrosion X. It’s amazing stuff. I use it on my electric RC float plane.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:06   #49

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I just thought about something, but if your getting the scooter sent to your home in Michigan (I live here also) how are you going to get it to the boat? I don't think the airlines will allow a large battery like that as a carry on and you can't put it in checked luggage. Or at least, please don't. When I bought my Rad bikes that was a consideration with the batteries.
Depending on what I find, I'll either ship this one to Ghost via ground or... if It's a big success, I'll keep this one at home and order another one shipped directly to the boat. I'm bringing Ghost back to FLL for some final outfitting in July, so it would be easier than island shipping.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:07   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
For corrosion treatment use Corrosion X. It’s amazing stuff. I use it on my electric RC float plane.
I've had great success with Boeshield-T9, but I hear CorrosionX is great as well.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-02-2021, 08:40   #51

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
As a life long cyclist, get a normal lightweight folding bike.. Many can be outfitted with carry baskets. Considering some 63% of the world is obese, it couldn't hurt to get exercise in when you can, especially if on a boat.
It is best to always read the OP’s original post so that your comments relate to what they are seeking.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:21   #52

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft

I have the exact same scooter. I use it daily. The range is crazy! It pays for itself quickly. The only problem I see is that I don't know how 2 people will be able to effectively ride it. There really is that much room. If you can figure that out, you should be OK.
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGator View Post
I have the exact same scooter. I use it daily. The range is crazy! It pays for itself quickly. The only problem I see is that I don't know how 2 people will be able to effectively ride it. There really is that much room. If you can figure that out, you should be OK.
Thanks Much!

You use it aboard? Have you encountered any hassle using it?

I also posted in the eMove Cruiser forum on FB and found many other users riding 2-up. They recommended buying the seat and 2nd fixed handlebar (which I've ordered.)

Fingers Crossed!

Old 05-02-2021, 10:08   #54

E-Scooters for Use Ashore

I bought the folding scooter version from wally world and love it!

It has low speed and high speed and runs 15 mph.

A great investment for only $198.00!!!
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:59   #55

Boat: Sea Ray, 56 Sedan Bridge, 56ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Thanks Much!

You use it aboard? Have you encountered any hassle using it?

I also posted in the eMove Cruiser forum on FB and found many other users riding 2-up. They recommended buying the seat and 2nd fixed handlebar (which I've ordered.)
Yes. I am in the Bahamas right now using it daily. The only hassle is all the people stopping me wanting to try it :-). It is a lot of fun. It's a little heavy getting on and off the boat so be careful there.
UFGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:53   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGator View Post
Yes. I am in the Bahamas right now using it daily. The only hassle is all the people stopping me wanting to try it :-). It is a lot of fun. It's a little heavy getting on and off the boat so be careful there.
Great - Thanks for the update! We'll probably spend a couple months in the Bahamas this fall before heading back to the Caribbean.

Old 05-02-2021, 12:01   #57

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

Have you considered a bike trailer? My granddaughters both ride behind our elec bike and you don’t even know its back there. Takes away balance and control issues. Provides cargo space is likely a consideration foe your daughter’s needs.

V/r

Pete
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:49   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjanker View Post
Have you considered a bike trailer? My granddaughters both ride behind our elec bike and you don’t even know its back there. Takes away balance and control issues. Provides cargo space is likely a consideration foe your daughter’s needs.

V/r

Pete
Thanks Pete,

I have a trailer I used when Tori was little but she's 27 now and I don't think she'll fit Storing a bike and trailer would also be a challenge.

Old 05-02-2021, 13:11   #59

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I've never been able to convince myself that it's easier than renting a scooter/car/bike. No need to buy, no maintenance, less theft issues, no need to find a place on the boat, no unloading/loading from the dinghy, etc. The ones I like are expensive and I would really worry about theft. If you stay one place long enough you can probably buy a used vehicle and resell when you leave.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2021, 13:22   #60

Boat: Roberts 37, Steel hull

G’day from Australia.
I bought one of these electric scooters about a year ago and it is brilliant. Loads of fun and makes getting around very easy. I ride with a small backpack to carry stuff, no seat as that becomes too cumbersome and regardless of the local laws, they are so much fun that people everywhere are using them and the authorities turn a blind eye.

As to insurance, we’ll that's a different can of worms. skateboard, bike, e-scooter or barefoot; I think any involvement with a claim will be fraught with difficulties.