Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 19:03   #91

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
[QUOTE=grunzster;488245]Would be MUCH easier for both cruisers and for the police to enforce (fairly),
[QUOTE]

Chris,

Just realize that you are leaving the first world.

And no it would not be much easier for the police to do it "our way". It is easier for them to do it their way.

Corruption "our way" is mostly on a "higher" level, economically speaking.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 09:08   #92

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
BTW - Is there any place where you are actually allowed to spear fish on scuba? Seems like the NE US is the only place where it is allowed. Of course we're only allowed to catch bugs with our bare hands.
You can spear on scuba in most of the US. Certain species are not game.

Cheers,
Old 23-07-2010, 11:07   #93

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
ok, so question for from newbie here. I am planning on living aboard a cat and sailing around teh world for several years. I will have a compressor and my scuba gear and speargun on that boat at all times, since I have nowhere else to put and and will like to use it in countries where it is legal. How do i get aroudn the restrictions where I am not allowed to have this on the boat. How can i prove that while in thier country I am not using unauthorized equipment or procedures? It is enough to put it under lock? WHat do other pople in this situation do?

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 06:47   #94

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsapo View Post
ok, so question for from newbie here. I am planning on living aboard a cat and sailing around teh world for several years. I will have a compressor and my scuba gear and speargun on that boat at all times, since I have nowhere else to put and and will like to use it in countries where it is legal. How do i get aroudn the restrictions where I am not allowed to have this on the boat. How can i prove that while in thier country I am not using unauthorized equipment or procedures? It is enough to put it under lock? WHat do other pople in this situation do?

Brian
What I do living in the FL keys with all the protected areas is to keep the gear dissembled when in a specified zone.

so I keep the speargun shaft removed from the gun, the tip off the shaft, and keep the polespear in pieces (nice reason to get one to break down, plus it is nice to throw in the dinghy, never know when an opportunity might arise).

If I have been spearing before entering the protected areas, and have fish, I make sure to have my GPS tracking enabled, in order to prove I was not in a restricted area. It is not perfect and is open to interpretation by the authorities, so it is smarter to not have any fresh fish.

On another note, if anyone is looking for a solid polespear, that you can use and abuse, I highly recommend Ray Odors (search online) stuff. It is not pretty, but it is built to last.

regards
Old 26-07-2010, 10:22   #95

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:

ok, so question for from newbie here. (...)

...How do i get aroudn the restrictions...
An answer from another newbie here: You don't.

Declare the stuff, have a locker onboard where it can be sealed by (the customs, FAA, whoever). You will have such a locker anyway if you want to carry a gun (not my recommendation, but quite common among yankee cruisers).

I believe when we visited Bonaire, the spearguns were supposed to be delivered to the Customs and remained locked until departure. You could keep your gun onboard though!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 10:26   #96

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
thanks for the replies! To clarify, not trying to do anything illegal or get around the rules, just wanted to make sure i didn't have to throw my gear over the side becuase it is legal in some places, and illegal is others

B
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 10:28   #97

Correction: "Yankee" meaning USAmerican.

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast

;-)
barnie
Old 26-07-2010, 10:31   #98

Quote:

becuase it is legal / illegal
Legal to have (I think everywhere).

Illegal to use, in some places.

The world is your oyster, leave some for others.
b.
Old 26-07-2010, 10:41   #99
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Chris,

Just realize that you are leaving the first world.

And no it would not be much easier for the police to do it "our way". It is easier for them to do it their way.

Corruption "our way" is mostly on a "higher" level, economically speaking.
Good point! Our way would be easier in the enforcing it with less doubt as to whether or not someone really had broken the law. Their way is better for their economy.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, diving