Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2007, 12:35   #1

Boat: samson c-mist 32
dive watch

Though I was going to have to spend 4-$500. on a new dive watch, (I'm not a fan of the reliability of computers, and can't use them for commercial diving)

My $50. timex Ironman made a great bottom timer & worked fine at 120'.
Has anyone else used the Ironman for diving?

Any input on any other dive watches?
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 12:44   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I use my timex to dive especially before I went to a dive computer. Now I dive the computer - it makes life easy. For 50 can't be beat. Has worked fine for me down to about 120 as well. I do have a fancy dive watch {Omega Seamaster} but I use the Timex if I really need to time as you can set count down timers etc.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 12:57   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I guess this one would be an antique. I paid $175. for it back in 1969. I've had it resealed twice. Now it's just a keep sake.

If you can get away with a $50 watch? More power to ya. I'm not fond of putting all the eggs in one basket (dive computers) it tends to make one forget all the important stuff learned, especially for a new diver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seikodivewatch.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	992  
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 13:23   #4

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Best dive watch I ever had

Was a walmart timex special with a $9.00 velcro watch strap. Total watch and strap was maybe $30.... lasted forever and did eveything I needed. Now I dive with 2 computers and never wear watch. The cell phone has the time.
Old 21-03-2007, 16:54   #5

Boat: Manta 40
Have a $20 Casio and a $150 Seiko, both are great but as age increases have found cost of watch is not the issue, they all work, it’s the need for lenses in mask. Recommendations, as to best solution to this problem.
cameron forsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 17:30   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
I dive with both a dive computer (when required for the depth or nitrox) and a dive watch. I use the computer but always like the watch better. I have owned several over the years and used all for diving. Casio's work perfect fine. Seiko's are of course very reliable.

My ultimate watch would be a Doxa of course...but out of your price range (and mine).

A few years ago I discovered Invicta dive watches (and the name is just a funny coincidence). They are absolutely outstanding Swiss watches. As well made as a ROlex or Omega, with equal material, workmanship and detail, but for less money. I really love these watches and now have an automatic and a quartz one. Their top of the line dive watches are 25 Swiss ETA jewel movement automatics, screw down crown and sapphire crystals. Most rated to 200m depth. These movements are the same ones used in the automatic Omega's and Rolex's...though those may be modified and more finely adjusted in order for them to be certified COSC...but in my experience, even the average 21 jewel Myota movement Invicta watches meet the COSC standard and are accurate to 2 sec per day...the 25 j swiss ETA movements are more accurate. I think you can get one online in the $300-400 range depending on model.

And one note about mineral vs sapphire crystals....I actually managed to crack a mineral crystal on a watch after a dive...probably dropped weights or a tank on it...never a problem with a sapphire crystal watch...or maybe I took more care....

Hope this helps

[I have no association with the company]

Best

John
s/v Invictus

(just a funny coincidence...but if they are reading this and would like to sponsor the boat....)
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 20:18   #7

I love dive watches of all types. However I would never wear one in the water. I am always paranoid that they will flood..hell everything floods eventually. I did us that Timex ironman for a while and on the fourth dive on Molasses reef in Key largo at 40 feet...she imploded right on my wrist...so now I collect em but i don't dive with them.
Pygar62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 21:12   #8

I'm a huge watch, especially big and divers watch lover also. I've owned several sub-mariners and a sew-dweller in my life time as well as a Datona now a Breitling chronomat. I've always owned either a chronograph or divers. Love the look, feel and weight of them!!

I personally don't like any other types of jewelry, just a good watch!! Good luck in your search!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 22:57   #9

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
I've had my Ironman down to at least 120'. But according to a dive master I dove with, if you push the buttons AT ALL when wet, they flood. So I now push the timer button when on the boat, and then hit the water. So far, so good.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 23:14   #10

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I love my computer, but I never would dive without a watch as backup. Used to use a Sector (Swiss) dive watch for many years, but now mainly using the Omega Seamaster. My first dive watches were Casios. Great value for money.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron forsyth View Post
... it’s the need for lenses in mask. Recommendations, as to best solution to this problem.
Google < prescription > or < optically corrected > dive masks.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote