Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 13:55   #1

Boat: Pearson 367
Dive hookahs

We are looking to purchase a hookah dive system for checking the anchor, cleaning the bottom and recreational diving. We would like to have the capability of two divers to a depth of 50 feet. We would also like to avoid carrying gasoline. We do not have room for tanks aboard our 36 foot boat. Does anyone have recommendations/reviews of what they have used. At this point in my research, it appears that the Brownie Third Lung is the best, though most expensive, choice.
Thanks
Trish
S/V FarAway
SailorTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 14:58   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Dive hookahs

Have you tries a search of past threads?

When I was looking to build one...I found lot's of great info both on building one yourself and what off the shelf ones were available and how they rated.

I built mine out of stuff I had and a few parts for about 15 bucks....won't do 2 people or go to 50' necessarily but it works good to 20 and fine for boat repairs.

Lot's of great info already there in case the posts are slow on this site...also just type in Hooka on any search engine and you will find many forums talking about them.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 15:29   #3

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Have you tries a search of past threads?

When I was looking to build one...I found lot's of great info both on building one yourself and what off the shelf ones were available and how they rated.

I built mine out of stuff I had and a few parts for about 15 bucks....won't do 2 people or go to 50' necessarily but it works good to 20 and fine for boat repairs.

Lot's of great info already there in case the posts are slow on this site...also just type in Hooka on any search engine and you will find many forums talking about them.
I did the same, built my own, total cost under 100.00. everything but hose is used and from ebay. I already had a good oil less compressor.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 15:29   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

I have an AirLine hookah and am very happy with it. Used for the usual bottom cleaning and sink replacement. Also handy when I find the occasional line wrap on the prop. That's always fun.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 17:33   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I'm going to watch this thread as I'm in the market for one as well, and a battery powered one if possible. The Airline line comes without battery or float (and one can assume that it is not designed for one). Also, they offer a lengthy caveat about performance expectations for the battery model with respect to adequate air supply.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:30   #6

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I have a 12v airline system and I'm real happy with. The petrol powered airline models come with the float but not the 12v model. I would suggest using an inline tank whatever system you get so that that you have more reserve air as I have found that at times I do breathe down the system with just the hose.
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Check the dimensions of the unit carefully: you may find that it takes up almost as much room as a couple of tanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25   #8
cruiser

Please let me jump in here with some good advice, because I was in your same shoes two months ago.

Do you already have scuba experience and education? If the answer is no, please don't purchase a hookah system and try it on your own... you may or will die.

If you do have the education and experience, there's a plan for one online which can be built for under $500 for the two of you which involves the purchase of an oil-free electric powered compact compressor.

On our boat, I have scuba gear and two tanks in order to perform our regular maintenance chores along with it providing the possibility of going down deeper for an anchor retrieval, but I may also build a hookah system for hull cleaning.

I wouldn't trust a hookah set up to go any deeper than the bottom of my keel about 8 feet. If your hookah fails you at 50ft without warning..... you're finished... lights out.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Kenomac, please provide the link you mentioned about the plan.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:41   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Kenomac, please provide the link you mentioned about the plan.
I will only go so far as to say there are several online. Hookah dive systems are so dangerous in the wrong hands, that it would be like providing plans on how to make a gun to someone who's never used one before. I don't want to be responsible for issues which may arise from giving advice on a public forum.

Sorry.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I wouldn't trust a hookah set up to go any deeper than the bottom of my keel about 8 feet. If your hookah fails you at 50ft without warning..... you're finished... lights out.
Could you please explain why, when using a hookah, an emergency ascent from 50 feet is fatal while the same process is a standard event in SCUBA training and is not likely to cause "lights out"?

Jim
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you are going cruising, just wait until you get out there to buy one. We have met so many cruisers who bought one before leaving and never used it and are trying to sell them. We haven't met anyone yet who has been able to sell one to another cruiser (met two who ended up giving them away), so you can find them cheap.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Great advice from Kenomac... I had a friend set me up with a hooka system based on a tank lashed to the swimgrid, 50 feet of hose and regulator (new) that I purchased along with fins and a mask. Cost: under $200. Because my wife was a certified PADI instructor, she showed me the rules and techniques but had I tried it on my own, probably would have killed myself! Worked wonderfully well for hull cleaning, checking props, struts, anchor sets and anything close by your boat. Even threw the tank in the dink and unwrapped a line from a prop for a buddy.
Very handy to have aboard but be certain you have proper instruction and someone on the surface that knows if you get yourself in trouble. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:34   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

I think the main point is that you should not use a hookah unless you have had SCUBA training because many of the dangers are the same but anyone can buy a hookah and jump right in the water. I'm sure that 99% of the accidents that happen with them are with untrained users. I heard somewhere that of the dozen or so people who die each year diving for lobster in the Keys, the majority of them are hookah users with no training.

And I have the same question as Jim...if you're 50' and run out of air, if you know CESA, why is that not an option with a hookah?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46   #15

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Could you please explain why, when using a hookah, an emergency ascent from 50 feet is fatal while the same process is a standard event in SCUBA training and is not likely to cause "lights out"?

Jim
Good question. While I would not condone the use of hookah deeper than 25 feet, the failure of hookah or SCUBA will not cause a fatality while performing a free ascent from 50 feet. Air embolism may occur if the diver falls into a panic mode and forgets to exhale during the free ascent.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle