Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 22:41   #46

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Dive hookahs

Haveing been both a navy diver and a submariner in the navy, I have made free assences from 100 ft in both the Sub school tank and the tank in Hawyee! with proper training it's a simple thing to do. I would prefer to use scuba for my cruiseing needs, but haveing let my card lapse yrs ago I can no longer get tanks filled. So now we have an electric driven hookah set up that works just fine fo us ! I don't use it for anything under 25 ft, as everything I need it for is normaly less than that! I find it to work well for bottom cleaning, cking anchors ect. Ive even gotten a fish or two and a crayfish where it was legal to do so! but all of these things can be done in 25ft or less! Works for us ! As fastbottoms say's it takes up less room and is a lot lighter to move then scuba gear! just my 2 cents, and just used it to cut some crab line from our prop this week !
Old 02-09-2013, 22:57   #47

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Haveing been both a navy diver and a submariner in the navy, I have made free assences from 100 ft in both the Sub school tank and the tank in Hawyee! with proper training it's a simple thing to do. I would prefer to use scuba for my cruiseing needs, but haveing let my card lapse yrs ago I can no longer get tanks filled. So now we have an electric driven hookah set up that works just fine fo us ! I don't use it for anything under 25 ft, as everything I need it for is normaly less than that! I find it to work well for bottom cleaning, cking anchors ect. Ive even gotten a fish or two and a crayfish where it was legal to do so! but all of these things can be done in 25ft or less! Works for us ! As fastbottoms say's it takes up less room and is a lot lighter to move then scuba gear! just my 2 cents, and just used it to cut some crab line from our prop this week !

Bob I did the same thing in Hawaii. I just do not like showing my old bones on here to much. 100' escape and the dive course I took for open water required a 100' free ascent. No big deal just keep your cool. Hell my old bones went 50' free diving last year in Bon Air. Just get tired quicker nowadays. The hookah for me is for bottom work.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:10   #48

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
May I ask what card lapsed?

My dive card doesn't have an expiration date...did I miss something along the way as my work always fills the tanks I use?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19   #49

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya PS! PADI DM rating and above used to have a renewal sticker expiration date placed on their card, but this did not affect your diving capabilities; except for instructions. You have to keep current in order to teach diving. Dive shops would still honor your card, even with an expired renewal date. The new cards for those involved in diving instructions, from about 5 years ago, have no expiration date anymore.

Mauritz
PADI DM
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08   #50

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Are you kidding? An electric hookah is far and away simpler, smaller and more lightweight than any SCUBA setup. Maintenance? What maintenance? Rebuild the compressor after a few thousand hours of use, maybe.

Here's what I use:

It's all of maybe 12" long by 9" high. Weighs 26 lbs. 50' of air hose and a 2nd stage reg, and you're good to go. No running out of air, no air refills, no high pressure tanks to worry about, no BC, no octopus, no 1st stage reg etc., etc., etc.
I'd like to hear more about your preferred set up if you don't mind. I thought I saw it in a previous thread, but now can't find it.

I'm sure a number of people would be interested in your opinion on this subject.

Thanks.....
Old 03-09-2013, 06:27   #51

I'm running late, but I want to ask if there are any Hookah certification classes like SCUBA has? And when diving would 30' or less be a hindrance?
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38   #52

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Sun! As far as I know, there is no HOOKAH class available. Hookah was developed by non-certified SCUBA folks. Get SCUBA certification for about $700 USD; visit PADI.com and take the book study portion on-line, for Open Water Diver course. The second portion of certification, can be taken ANYWHERE in the world; the open water dives portion. The certification is valid for your lifetime. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
4.- If you build your own, stay away from the cheap, Chinese-made Home Depot compressors. There are plenty of hookah sellers on eBay using these and marketing them as high-end equipment. They are not.
I know that in the past you have recommended the Thomas 1020 compressor. Is that right? That compressor no longer seems to be available. Any other recommendations that are currently available?

And then, I'm also thinking that a 12-volt system--which I could run off of my house batteries--would be very nice. Any recommendations for a 12-volt compressor that would work for prop clearing, anchor checking, and the occasional dive to 30' or so?

Lastly, I just want to say that I appreciate your contributions to these threads. There are a whole lot of self-proclaimed "experts" out there. In your case, I know that I should listen to your advice simply because it is patently clear that you know what you are talking about. Thank you.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17   #54
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I know that in the past you have recommended the Thomas 1020 compressor. Is that right? That compressor no longer seems to be available. Any other recommendations that are currently available?
The Thomas 1020 is still available. It's just not as ubiquitous as it used to be. It seems to be sold only through a limited number of distributors now and the price has gone through the roof. I am currently using the Thomas 1207 (pictured in a previous post) which is not only a more robust compressor, but is less expensive than the 1020 and more easily found as well.

Quote:
I'm also thinking that a 12-volt system--which I could run off of my house batteries--would be very nice. Any recommendations for a 12-volt compressor that would work for prop clearing, anchor checking, and the occasional dive to 30' or so?
I've never used a 12-volt system before, and so am unqualified to offer any first-hand opinion about them. But I like Air Line by J Sink. I'd look there.

Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah

Quote:
Lastly, I just want to say that I appreciate your contributions to these threads. There are a whole lot of self-proclaimed "experts" out there. In your case, I know that I should listen to your advice simply because it is patently clear that you know what you are talking about. Thank you.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22   #55

Quote:
Hey Bob you were a bubblehead? What boat were you on? I was on the USS Toledo (SSN-769) out of Groton, Connecticut but also did a quick spin on the USS Batfish (Sturgeon class).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30   #56
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I'm running late, but I want to ask if there are any Hookah certification classes like SCUBA has? And when diving would 30' or less be a hindrance?
Both Brownie's and Air Line offer online hookah training courses. I am unaware of any hands-on certification program offered anywhere. As has been mentioned before, SCUBA certification is always a good idea if you plan to breath compressed air underwater. There are those recreational dive "experts" with a clear bias who turn their noses up at hookah, but you should know that surface supplied air systems (like hookah) are safe, reliable and are the industry standard in both the commercial dive and boat maintenance industries and have been for many decades. It was not developed by "non-certified SCUBA folks".

Home Study Course

Online Training For The Student And Also Great Collaboration With The Instructor |
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30   #57

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Hell, I might as well get in here too!
I was certified in 1964 by the RED CROSS, then later on by PADI, then later on by th U.S.ARMY. Then I wore a hard hat to work for 10 years or so. Got to see much of the worlds oil patch in the diving game. Scrubed boat bottoms too! Dug geoduck clams(hence the handle)did alot of concrete work under water, etc., etc.
To make a long story short -- for CHRIST SAKES DONT FOOL AROUND WITHOUT THE PROPER TRAINING YOULL GET YOURSELF KILLED!
End of story.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43   #58
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I'd like to hear more about your preferred set up if you don't mind. I thought I saw it in a previous thread, but now can't find it.

I'm sure a number of people would be interested in your opinion on this subject.
It's pretty simple. I use a Thomas 1207PH80 compressor. A quick release fitting from the compressor output attaches my air hose (10' of heat dissipation hose, inline air filter & 40' feet of standard floating air hose), a "tee" fitting (so I can attach my drysuit fill hose when I'm diving dry), a 30" whip and my 2nd stage regulator.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Could you please explain why, when using a hookah, an emergency ascent from 50 feet is fatal while the same process is a standard event in SCUBA training and is not likely to cause "lights out"?

Jim
Yea, really,50 ft aint nothing..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Yea, really,50 ft aint nothing..
My original comment was directed towards two untrained divers using the same Hookah system at 50ft. The key word being "untrained." Sorry it caused such a stir.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle