Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 15:39   #1

Copying d.v.d.'s to a harddrive

I am trying to copy my dvd collection onto a harddrive to take away on the boat. The 2 programmes I have tried so far have been (a) slow and (b) complicated.
Anyone recommend a good one ? Preferably free but if there is a cost involved not exorbitant !
Chris
first-435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:56   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Copying d.v.d.'s to a harddrive

Handbrake is good for that job, and free.

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

To decrypt protected DVDs, you need to add a decrypting program. A couple of helpful links here:

How-To Decrypt DVDs with HandBrake (So You Can Rip Them)

Ripping DVDs with Handbrake - maemo.org wiki

VLC 2.0 Breaks Handbrake DVD Ripping; Here's How to Fix It
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:56   #3

I don't know if there's anything all that simple, and "slow" is the name of the game. Video encoding takes a lot of processing power.

I use dvdcrypt which is free and handles ~80% of what I throw at it. That puts a DVD into a big folder of files.

Handbrake will take the big folder of files and make an mpg out of it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 15:59   #4

If you are running Linux check out Brasero in your package manager. It is fast but I have found that the iso's it makes evaporate after a years or two. A better but slower program is Handbrake at <http://handbrake.fr/>. You will need to download libdvdcss2 from the medibuntu ppa to unlock the protection. This may be of dubious legality.
Old 29-09-2013, 16:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
If you are running Linux check out Brasero in your package manager. It is fast but I have found that the iso's it makes evaporate after a years or two. A better but slower program is Handbrake at <http://handbrake.fr/>. You will need to download libdvdcss2 from the medibuntu ppa to unlock the protection. This may be of dubious legality.
I think according to US law you're not allowed to make backups of your DVD's anyway. The recording industry and motion picture industry managed to get that ruled illegal.

Burning Backup DVDs Ruled Illegal - Feb. 24, 2004
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
If you are running Linux check out Brasero in your package manager. It is fast but I have found that the iso's it makes evaporate after a years or two. .
You are talking to a rank amateur when it comes to computers. In simple English please ?!

Thanks for all the replies so far. Out of interest, how long, roughly, to copy 1 movie ?
first-435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:49   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

Youtube is your friend. Just type the problem into the YT search bar and generally some kid, somewhere on the planet, will have a how-to video from his bedroom telling you the easiest method.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-435 View Post
You are talking to a rank amateur when it comes to computers. In simple English please ?!

Thanks for all the replies so far. Out of interest, how long, roughly, to copy 1 movie ?
It depends on your hardware, hours I'm sure. DVDs are slow to begin with, and you probably don't want to just copy them (though you could, as an ISO file). You need to "rip" movies and .wav CDs to formats your computer understands.

I used to get programs like this free from tucows.com, though today it's morphed into just another adware site. No idea where, or why, to get Windows stuff anymore. I saw the Linux light! Everything's free and open source now.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:03   #9

Boat: naver 29
Mactheripper if you're using a mac
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 19:16   #10

For First 435 Linux is an operating system (actually a family of operating systems) like Windows but it is open source and FREE !! If you are running Windoze you are on your own (it's your nickle). There is a program called BRASERO that runs on computers running Linux. Linux has a system called SYNAPTIC PACKAGE MANAGER which you can use to search for programs not already installed, and to install them in your computer. Brasero copies DVDs either onto other DVDs or into files ending in <.iso> Brasero can't unlock protected discs without the help of a package called libdvdcss2 which does the actual unlocking. It is of questionable legality to do so but, since you aren't using it to sell pirate DVDs but only to backup your collection, the MOVIE COPS are probably not out there looking for you when there are tens of thousands (millions?) of pirate DVDs sold in asia every week.

Handbrake is another program that works. It is not available when you install Linux. You will have to learn how to install the medibuntu ppa which is a web site that contains programs which can be included by Synaptic PM and thus installed on your computer. Handbrake is slower than Brasero but makes MP4 files which appear to stand up better in storage than <.iso> files. Since you are new to the game let me recommend that you give up on Windows and switch to a Linux operating system before you get in too deep.
Old 29-09-2013, 19:42   #11

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I use AnyDVD (need to pay for a licence) for decryption and copying to hard disk. It typically takes about 6 or 7 minutes on my 4 year old PC. The files take up about 5-8GB for an average disc. If space is not an issue you need go no further becasue media players can read those files directly.

If you want to save space, as most people will, then you need an application to compress and convert the files. I use Handbrake, which is an excellent freee opensource program. It takes about 20-30 minutes to convert a movie on my oldish Quad core CPU. Handbrake takes advantage of multiple core CPUs so performance can vary a lot between PCs. I choose to compress to a bit under 1GB as I find that a good compromise between file size and quality for a screen size you would typically have on board.
Old 29-09-2013, 23:30   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

DVD shrink does a good job. Its easy to use. It is slow, but not too bad if no compression is used.

It is a completely free program, but lots of sites try to sell it to you bundled with something else. If you search you can a free and legal download.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 00:35   #13

DVD Shrink works pretty well on maybe 80% of DVDs. There are some newer encryption methods that DVD Shrink does not handle, since they have stopped developing it years ago.

A much better program is WinX DVD Ripper. It can decrypt any DVD and once you've setup your preferences, it's a 1 or 2 click operation after that. The best part is it can compress the output file into just about every known container/audio/video format known. You can change the resolution, bit rate, and compression method for phones, Ipads, you name it. Astounding assortment of video codecs and compression ratios.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 01:32   #14

Just make a google search, there are a lot rippers available.
5crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 05:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I think according to US law you're not allowed to make backups of your DVD's anyway. The recording industry and motion picture industry managed to get that ruled illegal.

Burning Backup DVDs Ruled Illegal - Feb. 24, 2004
Certainly, if you have to break or circumvent some protection scheme to 'rip' or copy a DVD, you're violating the letter of the DCMA.

Chances of being caught are low, but I certainly wouldn't want to have a HD full of ripped media when travelling. Anyway, I sail to get away from TV, not to watch more. Get a Kindle or a Kobo and fill it with books instead.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd