Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 22:03   #16

Re: Cold Weather Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is little cold if you have heat and adequate layers...

If you can sail SF Bay in July you can handle anything up here...

Thanks, Bill, I always enjoy your constitutions.

I sailed SF Bay from 1978 to 2016 and sailed up to Vancouver Island.

Gamayun, Bill's certainly right about the heat!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 22:31   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Gamayun, Bill's certainly right about the heat! [emoji2]
I have yet to figure out how to put a space heater in the cockpit when I'm out sailing....Offshore, I never feel "warm" no matter how many layers
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Thanks, Bill, I always enjoy your constitutions.

I sailed SF Bay from 1978 to 2016 and sailed up to Vancouver Island.

Gamayun, Bill's certainly right about the heat!
Thank you, Stu.

I always learn so much from your posts.

I also kept a boat in the bay for a few years when I had an office downtown. I understand completely...

Cheers! Bill
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44   #19

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I have yet to figure out how to put a space heater in the cockpit when I'm out sailing....Offshore, I never feel "warm" no matter how many layers
Gamayun, always being cold can be real problamatic for many people.

With our guests, we often determine they haven't found the right layers for their needs. [We are from Fairbanks, Alaska, and consequently have enough older warm clothing and gear for our guests to try just about every combination- as we have over the years...]

Many times we have cast aside the big pile of 'warm' clothes our guests have brought- admitting they are never warm- replacing it all with a very small stack of Smartwool undergarments and windblock fleece medium layers.

We have yet to find anyone who hasn't benefitted substantially, and marveled at the difference... [And occasionally had to remove layers because they were overheating...]

And I remain amazed by the amount of supposed cold weather clothing that uses cotton as a base and/or a liner. Cotton anything is pretty much useless for keeping you warm... [I suspect you have heard the mantra Cotton chills... or our version: Cotton kills... in cold climates...]

Best wishes finding that combination of layers and gear that yields warmth and comfort for you. It does exist...

Cheers! Bill

PS: On our Guest page [about half-way down] we have a Gear Recommendations section that includes links to some of the items I mentioned above if that is of interest...

PPS: There is never a need to 'get used to the cold...' One just has to have the right gear to avoid feeling cold in the first place...
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01   #20

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Not relevant for “sailing” per se, but on long winter “deliveries” it’s nice that the stand-pipe muffler for my engine is directly below the helmsman’s seat. Toasty warm derrière! Maybe more hydronic heating than space heating.

When I got really cold, I’d end up standing on the companionway ladder, just peeking over the top of the hatch. Subsequently, I made a little seat that slips over the second hatch board. If the hard dodger project ever gets finished, I think a canvas back-curtain will make it a nice little micro-pilot house.

This year, we’ve hardly even had a winter. Some fantastic sailing days in January with temps in the 40’s. In fact, the frogs have already come out of hibernation and the first wildflowers are blooming!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:40   #21

Yeah, ski gear really is useful for winter sailing. In the past I have used foulies as spring skiing gear and liked it better than proper ski gear.

I went out in December dinghy sailing, here in Norcal. It's a fun, fast and wet dinghy and on top of it I got us stuck in the mud (whoopsie, forgot about the king tide). Visions of the hot cockpit shower on the mothership kept me going. That being said really good dry/warm gear for your feet help get ya out in cold wx months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
So who's getting out there?

Ski goggles replace sunglasses.

sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 14:14   #22

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Gamayun, always being cold can be real problamatic for many people.

With our guests, we often determine they haven't found the right layers for their needs. [We are from Fairbanks, Alaska, and consequently have enough older warm clothing and gear for our guests to try just about every combination- as we have over the years...]

Many times we have cast aside the big pile of 'warm' clothes our guests have brought- admitting they are never warm- replacing it all with a very small stack of Smartwool undergarments and windblock fleece medium layers.

We have yet to find anyone who hasn't benefitted substantially, and marveled at the difference... [And occasionally had to remove layers because they were overheating...]

And I remain amazed by the amount of supposed cold weather clothing that uses cotton as a base and/or a liner. Cotton anything is pretty much useless for keeping you warm... [I suspect you have heard the mantra Cotton chills... or our version: Cotton kills... in cold climates...]

Best wishes finding that combination of layers and gear that yields warmth and comfort for you. It does exist...

Cheers! Bill

PS: On our Guest page [about half-way down] we have a Gear Recommendations section that includes links to some of the items I mentioned above if that is of interest...

PPS: There is never a need to 'get used to the cold...' One just has to have the right gear to avoid feeling cold in the first place...
Thanks, Bill, as well as to the link to your website. Lots of good info there! Beautiful boat, too I agree that it is all about picking the right clothes, but certain people are also more sensitive. I just learned about Raynaud's disease and think that's what happens to me, but in a mild form -- the toes on my left foot will go numb for hours and turn white; other fingers and toes are not so bad though will turn blue and numb for a short time. So, I wear 2 pairs of smart wool socks and replace them at the first instance of wetness inside the boots. I wear light fleece gloves inside full fingered neoprene sailing gloves and replace them when wet. I try to keep hot chocolate on hand to keep the insides warm. I feel I'm adjusting better to the cold...finally, and probably due to a mixture of knowledge, diligence, and trial-and-error.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 15:54   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I thought I had Raynauds... saw the doctor... she said 'no..... just don't let your hands get so cold'..... easy for her to say...

I only have issues with extremities when they get cold... I think she said that Raynauds would be an issue even in warmer weather....

I don't do 'real cold' such as you get in Canada just ordinary Chilean cold but for feet.... Ugg boots down stairs - and on watch when it is not raining and stuff - and Muckboot Polar Sport ( recommended to me by a CFer ) seaboots - for when wet and also for limited shore usage - keep my toes toasty.
Socks that I am buying these days are https://wildernesswear.com.au/mens-s...no-fleece-2162
$A18 a pair at the local farmer's Co-op.....
Old 04-02-2018, 18:23   #24

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

I have no circulation. Part of my onwatch ritual is reheating my silicone hot water bottle. If the feet are still cold despite all layering efforts, I stick a chemical hot pack in the bottom of each boot.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 19:09   #25
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
between 40s and low 50s F depending upon season and proximity to glaciers- where it can quickly drop into the 30s F...
I went down to the ‘tropics’ yesterday to a balmy 0’f and 50kt winds, still better than the -40’c/f (same temp) that I left from and returned to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05FC35AB-DD95-4F8E-9C31-DB3D4EA755B9.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	163477  
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 19:30   #26

Boat: Nauticat 40 (1985)

I was out in the 2nd week of January. Anacortes to Sidney BC to meet my sailmaker and take delivery of 4 beautiful new sails.

I took lots warm clothes, packed food I could make in the oven while singlehanding (yay for snack-sized frozen pizzas) which also heated the cabin. Most importantly I was flexible with the weather, and had to spend a windy, rainy day in a harbor waiting for a better day.

The trip was cold, beautiful and boring at times. It was fun to see the most crowded of cruising areas be completely vacant.

Korvessa
Korvessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 22:39   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

It's still a matter of learning how to dress. If something is cold, something else is not insulated enough. I spent 6 hours in 32F water in a dry suit for a mag article last year--my body temperature went up a few tenths.

A few more things people may be missing:
  • You probably won't have ANY street clothes on. None.
  • Clothes are often too tight, including gloves and shoes. They add more layers and the circulation gets worse. If you think they are not too tight, ask someone else.
  • Hats. Go with a fleece cap AND a Powerstretch balaclava. The balaclava keeps the neck, chin, and sides of the face warm. These are big heat loss areas.
  • One of the lays must have a turtle neck, to seal and anchor the balclava and to keep the neck warm.
  • Ski goggles replace sun glasses. They aren't just for spray. They add a considerable amount of warmth.
  • Wind proof layer much seal together. If air is getting between the jacket and the bibs it isn't working, is it? A great many people believe foul weather gear is also winter gear. They are generally wrong, because it cannot fit properly and be designed properly for both. This is obviously just not possible. Th needs are different.
  • Hand warmers. Good for 6-8 hours, but they must be inside well insulated gloves.
  • Fleece socks. Better than wool for the first layer. And again, the shoes must have enough room. Boot should be fitted for two pairs of heavy socks and room to move the toes if you mean to use them in the cold.
  • Sit on something. Without a cushion, your are losing heat through your seat.
My other hobby is ice climbing. I've learned to dress thin but warm.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19   #28

Quote:
Thanks, Bill, as well as to the link to your website. Lots of good info there! Beautiful boat, too I agree that it is all about picking the right clothes, but certain people are also more sensitive. I just learned about Raynaud's disease and think that's what happens to me, but in a mild form -- the toes on my left foot will go numb for hours and turn white; other fingers and toes are not so bad though will turn blue and numb for a short time. So, I wear 2 pairs of smart wool socks and replace them at the first instance of wetness inside the boots. I wear light fleece gloves inside full fingered neoprene sailing gloves and replace them when wet. I try to keep hot chocolate on hand to keep the insides warm. I feel I'm adjusting better to the cold...finally, and probably due to a mixture of knowledge, diligence, and trial-and-error.
Thank you for your kudos, Gamayun.

I'm sympathetic to your need for achieving comfort in cold conditions.

As others have mentioned, the small hand and foot warmers [pouches that last about a day...] may be really worthwhile for you.

If our hand are getting cold, we slip a small, thin warmer inside each glove on the back of the hand where only the warmth is noticed. Likewise for feet.

Another item we carry [which can be useful on a regular basis as well] are the stick-on warmers made for specific areas of the body. [Shoulders, back, etc.] We keep a few dozen of the ~ 6" x 6" size in our first aid collection. These are primarily for treating hypothermia victims in remote settings. However, if we find ourselves getting cold, attaching one over each kidney on our back [on the skin...] works wonders, and these last 12+ hours. Highly recommended.

This all reminds me of techniques used friends and family in Alaska who are avid motorcycle and snow machine riders. Many wear slim, well fitting electric [12vdc] 'coveralls' under their outerwear. [Or some may be the outerwear... I am sharing this 3rd person without researching...] They are purportedly very controllable and may also be useful to perpetually cold watchstanders on a sailboat who are in static positions for hours at a time... Unplug to move about, and plug back in when appropriate...

Best wishes finding what works best for your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 08-02-2018, 09:36   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cold Weather Sailing

Quote:
Invest in a pair of these.. amazing how warm hands can affect the rest of the body..
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...82640000&ver=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	163737  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:32   #30

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Just day before yesterday I had to wear my fleece lined pants because it was a chilly 60 degrees.
I HATE that!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, weather