Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2007, 11:22   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Celebrities

Ever had any run-ins with celebrities while cruising?

I met Tom Selleck once up in the North Channel (Georgian Bay). He was on Johnny Carsons yacht and came aboard for a tour. Nice guy. Asked plenty of intelligent questions. Tall fella and had a hard time getting through all the small water tight doors!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 11:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Tom who???
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 12:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
He always came across as a "nice guy" sort of person. I wondered if he was in reality.
Because I was a Live Sound Engineer, I have meet many celebs over the years. I just treat them as a normal Joe Blow. Some are great people, others are totaly full of themselves.
But the one Celeb I met, wasn't on one of my stages. She was at a Horse Stud of my one of my close mates. (He breeds world renowned Arab horses) Anyway, this lovely Lady with an American accent was riding and looking at buying a Horse. I was helping out and just talkign away to her and her Husband with no clue as to who they were. I found out afterwards who they were and it turned out it was Bo Dereck and her Husband.
I am still yet to have a current Celeb on my boat, but I have a few friends that come on board that may become Celebs in the future with their Singing carreers.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 13:34   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I had Jan Gougeon wander into a shed once when I was doing a lot of epoxy work on a previous boat. Luckily I had a lot of WEST system products lying around. He must have been bored because after talking a bit about what I was doing and how I liked their products, he put on some gloves and started working on the boat with me. I learned a lot that day.

Does that count?

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 14:18   #5

I saw Danny Bonaduce at the bar in Two Harbors one time puffing away on a pack of cigs. Didn't talk to him, but we cruised the moorings looking for a 40' Hunter painted like the Partridge Family bus. Didn't find it.
Old 22-08-2007, 14:56   #6

Bonaduce beached a boat on Venice Beach in Los Angeles.

I also rented a 22 foot sailboat to Captain Ron one time, Kurt Russel, and he had no clue what to do. He kept asking me as he was sailing away, "does this thing have a keel"
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 15:43   #7
cruiser

I've seen more than you can count living in Manhattan.... My wife worked at Hudson Hotel as a cocktail waitress when it first opened (Ian Schraeger's hotel). She routinely waited on people like Bill Clinton (and Hillary and Chelsea), Tom Cruise (asked her out), Montel Williams (asked her out), list goes on and on... Kate Spade, etc... etc... etc... And of course there were tons of them everywhere when we all went out to clubs/lounges. Went out with a famous pianist (not naming names).

But on boats -

We saw Sean "Puffy" Combs on his Nordhavn (60-70fter) in Block Island's Great Salt Pond last summer. Very friendly guy. Was having a blast it looked like.

Sean Combs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Images

ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:09   #8

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
I had Jan Gougeon wander into a shed once ...Does that count?

Mark
beats running into Sigourney Weaver ( you know Doodles neice) in the Bahamas. Man I miss Spike Jones....
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 16:39   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I worked with Christopher Reeve for a few days back in the late-80s, early-90s, and though our meeting didn't occur while cruising, sailing was what we talked about. At the time, his Cambria 46 Sea Angel was still almost new, and his love of sailing, especially that vessel, was almost palpable.

He was a pleasure to work with and to talk to - an intelligent man of many interests, and an athletic man with considerable skill at most any sport he tried.

After his unfortunate accident, he stated that he often had vivid dreams where he would go sailing on his beautiful yacht, and always "completely whole," as he put it.

Another man I think I'd enjoy meeting and getting to know is Morgan Freeman. I know he spends a lot of his free time aboard his vessel sailing throughout the Caribbean. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are a few members here who've met him down in the lower latitudes.

TaoJones
Old 22-08-2007, 16:58   #10

Billy Joel built a run about .. I don't what they call those power thingies in Coecles Harbor, on Shelter Island. You can often see him in Alexa.. I think that's the name in and around Gardiner's Bay. Listen for piano music.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 17:09   #11
cruiser

Oooh... forgot about Billy Joel. He had his big ol steel trawler at the marina I used to keep my O'day 302 at on Long Island. Also, one of our members used to work on Billy Joel's boat. He can come forward if he wants to... or not.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 17:31   #12
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcraw
Bonaduce beached a boat on Venice Beach in Los Angeles.

I also rented a 22 foot sailboat to Captain Ron one time, Kurt Russel, and he had no clue what to do. He kept asking me as he was sailing away, "does this thing have a keel"
I met Kurt many years ago up in the Muskoka Lakes area where he and Goldie kept a summer home. Nice fella. He looked my IROC over and we had a little chat before he jumped in his ancient Ford pick up truck and drove off.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 18:58   #13

Only one boat related was Tiger Woods caddy and Capt, of Privacy.
Meet them last year when we got in from Tortola. Had to spend a night in Jax due to the winds. They were on the next finger. Realy nice boat, but they didn't offer up a tour.

Non boat related.
Newman, Cruise, Jason Priestly all racing cars
Worked on My Cousin Vinny, so the whole cast there.
that's all I keep in the cranial files. If there were any others they didn't make an impression.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 19:17   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I saw Ray Charles once but he didn't see me...

Seriously I don't get the whole "celebrity" thing. I did theater lighting in a previous life and I have met a few. Court jesters elevated to some sort of "special" status.

As my dad (from a previous generation) used to say, "even Heddy Lamarr squats to pee."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 20:08   #15
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
Only one boat related was Tiger Woods caddy
Ahh, I see you met a Kiwi!!!
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote