Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 07:37   #1

Boat: Contest 36'
Camera for a boat

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a relatively durable camera for sailing? I don't dive, so I don't think I need anything waterproof, but I would like a camera offering a good combination of quality pictures and some impact and water resistance.

Priorities:

Good pictures
Good video
Durability
Price ($200-$350)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 15-11-2013, 07:46   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Camera for a boat

Underwater Camera | COOLPIX Compact Underwater Digital Camera | Nikon

I have an older version of this (without the gps, not quite sure what that feature is) but its shock proof up to 5 foot drop, water proof up to 33 feet (great for snorkeling or taking pics of the underside of your boat), after using in the ocean just rinse it off with fresh water. I've been really happy with it and have tested its waterproofness and shockability (not all on purpose)
Old 15-11-2013, 07:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Video or still? GoPros are hard to beat for video, whatever you get, I would suggest the underwater housing, without it I guarantee you will drop it in the water and most with the housings float, plus the housings will take a beating.
Sorry, read the rest of your post. Good used cameras come up for sale all the time at scuba board and other diving sites. Otherwise if your in the US go to Walmart and get a Sony or Canon or Nikon. I've had and or have all and if low light is an issue the back lit Cmos on some Sony's is stellar.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 08:12   #4

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Not water resistant but we love our Nikon Coolpix S9100. Great low light capabilities. Video is ok but I always use my Gopro Hero3 Black for Video and when it is raining or in the water as it comes with a dive housing.

Nikon

Gopro

Gopro video
Sailing2013 - YouTube
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 11:14   #5

Boat: Contest 36'
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the goPro from what I have seen but they are wide angle or (whatever it is) and probably not good for regular photos. Plus I do need a flash. Thanks,
Old 16-11-2013, 11:22   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm no pro, but what I have noticed in some years of cruising photos is that one seems to need either a wide angle lens for on-board shots, or a big telephoto for things away from the boat.

With that in mind when I recently replaced my 13 year old Olympus, I ended up with a Nikon Coolpix P520. It's defining feature is a lens that goes from 28 to 1000 mm equivalent. Haven't had it long, but it sure allows you to do a lot of different things with one instrument. There are a few other marques that have similar models, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that one is better than another, so research is in order.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-11-2013, 11:28   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

New cameras (some better, some worse) come out all the time. I try and keep up but probably have a different pricepoint than you do. I would suggest you check out dpreview and lurk there a while. There is a lot of technical stuff you can learn, or not.

But you also need to understand different folks have different ideas about what a good camera is. First thing is determine the level of IQ (Image Quality) you expect . You also need to have the camera and controls feel comfortable in your hand.

I would suggest an UZI (UltraZoomImagestabilized) style camera. I like the Pannys but have also used Olys. Plenty of other options. While I have good binoculars I often find myself using my 18X zoom to take a pix of that far off marker to make sure what color and number it is.

This is a good place to start

Buyers' Guide: Compact Digital Cameras: page 5: Digital Photography Review
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 11:34   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a relatively durable camera for sailing? I don't dive, so I don't think I need anything waterproof, but I would like a camera offering a good combination of quality pictures and some impact and water resistance.

Priorities:

Good pictures
Good video
Durability
Price ($200-$350)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
What do you want more specifically, a point and shoot or something with a lot more controls? Depends on what kind of photographer you are.

Diving aside, waterproof is really nice, because you can take shots on deck in spray or you put it in your pocket for a dinghy ride to shore. I have had a Pentax for the past 4yr which lived a very hard life banging into thinks in a pants cargo pocket. Waterproof is also nice for life in the marine air.

If you want more control or a better zoom then you will want to get a Pelican box for it to live in and keep desiccant in there too.

WG-3GPS / WG-3 | RICOH IMAGING
WG-10 | RICOH IMAGING
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 11:43   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I've had a Canon D10 Canon PowerShot D10 waterproof camera emerges: Digital Photography Review for some years now... works OK.... can leave it lying under the dodger when at sea without fretting about water damage.

It has been replaced by the D20 Canon PowerShot D20: Digital Photography Review

Scratch around the dpreview site and you will find other stuff of interest...
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 11:51   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Olympus makes a line of water/shock resistant 'Tough' cameras that work well. Have had one for 4-5 years, survived a TransPac, takes video, even went snorkeling with it. Their new top of the line camera claims water proof to 50'. TG-2 iHS Waterproof Digital Camera | Olympus

Here is a test of cameras under water.

Taking a camera on a boat that can't take a dunking is foolish. Took my brand new SLR Camera out for a sail on a perfect day, force 3-4 winds and very low seas. Broke it out to take some pictures of a passing sailing classic when the wake of a boat combined with the existing sea conditions brought a dollop of water on board and soaked the camera. An expensive lesson. The chance for accidental dunking combined with the high humidity and salt laden air will eat up the electronics of an unprotected camera quickly.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 11:53   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

poco mas... 2013 Waterproof Camera Roundup: Digital Photography Review
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 12:25   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

We carry good quality DSLR for when the pics really matter, but for general-purpose use I bought a Panasonic HX-WA20. It does video and stills to a high resolution, including full HD. It's sealed and waterproof to 3 meters, and is pretty tough. It is also capable of being fully automatic or you can shoot in manual mode -- something I appreciate.

It's certainly not the best camera out there, but it is small, light, easy to use, and pretty tough. So far, I'm quite pleased.
Old 16-11-2013, 12:31   #13

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

We have a Canon Rebel DSLR, an Olympus Tough and a GoPro Hero 3 Black. If I had to pick only one, I'd go with the Olympus Tough. All around a good camera, takes great pictures, is small and light, waterproof (snorkeling, not diving), shockproof and freeze proof.

The GPS is good if you are putting your photos on places like trip advisor and Google earth.

As was said above, get a float for your camera.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 13:11   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a relatively durable camera for sailing? I don't dive, so I don't think I need anything waterproof, but I would like a camera offering a good combination of quality pictures and some impact and water resistance. Priorities: Good pictures Good video Durability Price ($200-$350) Any suggestions will be appreciated.
As much of a Nikon as you can afford. We have the Nikon point and shoot as well as a DSLR. Don't let the DSLR intimidate you. Modern ones can be used almost as point and shoot with much better results.

They are not waterproof but mine have been splashed and rained on. They will take a bump but not being dropped.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 13:12   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

We have a Panasonic FT25 and a Panasonic ZS8. Jetski photo by the FT25 and Black Parrot and canal photos by the ZS8.

Neither were expensive and I've been pleased with the results from each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000165.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	70558   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020043.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	70559  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020066.jpg