Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 10:02   #16

Boat: Malo 47
Re: Best way to get in a kayak from a sailboat

We have 'proper' sit in kayaks and get into them from a swim platform on the stern of the boat. Can't imagine doing it any other way.
Freedom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:02   #17

I’ve done it from a platform and a ladder, all the same to me, key is to just keep your center of gravity low and stay loose.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:16   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
On my boat, I just put the kayak in the water, untie the lifeline, bring the kayak alongside, sit on the deck, step into the kayak, and then sit down.

That's about it.

To get off, do the reverse.

My kayak is a Folboat Cooper. 24" wide. !6'6" long. 40 lbs.

https://www.rei.com/product/850521/f...-folding-kayak

https://used-kayaks.com/folbot/folbo...fits-bag-70462
Yeah, this is my recommendation. I have a fairly tippy kayak. The key to getting out is to push up on both sides and get butt on back of kayak. Then hold onto platform and transfer butt over. Best if you've tied off in a way that doesn't allow the kayak to swing out. The problem comes up when there is significant swell in which case I'm not adverse to grabbing onto the steps and hauling myself inelegantly up and out like a seal.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:04   #19

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Being older and larger, I find getting out is much harder than getting in. My wife simply stands up, no way can I do that.

One challenge is that the kayak moves in the opposite direction when getting out! I've tried knotted ropes, etc. but haven't tried to use a paddle as a bridge that I can use to get my butt out of the kayak before trying to stand up, thanks to Thinwater and Hudson Force for that idea!

My current technique is to get my foot (closest to the boat) out of the kayak and onto the boarding ladder, then I'm able to lean forward and pull myself up using the ladder and stanchions.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:25   #20

Boat: Nordic 44

Thanks for your replies and problem solving. As we are looking for a boat with a swim platform, I started to second-guess myself by wondering if lowering yourself down from a height might actually be better than trying to do a more lateral transfer from a swim platform.

So thanks for the view from experience!
jcgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:34   #21

Boat: Pearson 10M

I have a swim ladder, not a sugar scoop entry.
Entering or exiting a sit-in kayak is not easy, especially if there's a bit of chop. The key is weight distribution and where you put your feet. Before you put much weight into the kayak think about where your feet are and will your weight be equally distributed in the center of the kayak. Meaning, your weight has to be on the center line of the kayak. One foot slightly to the left and one to the right of the center line, but as close as possible. Secondly when entering the kayak before you put your weight down you need to get your body weight also on the center line. If you fail to center your weight first what will happen is you will push the kayak away from you and be sure that you will take a swim. So move slowly and purposely, send to your feet, center your weight, and then turn as need be to sit in a kayak. Getting out is similar, keep your weight and feet centered over the kayak until you can quickly get a foot on the ladder or swim platform.

One other tip when kayaking up to the boat. Get close, do not reach for the boat. Go around again if you have to, If you lean to grab the boat you can easily tip the kayak. The boat should be no more than a half arm length away.

Hope this helps
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:51   #22

Boat: Morgan 382

I can get in and out of the kayak while underway.

While sailing, I'll sometimes tow the kayak behind. We can pull it alongside the boat, I climb over the lifelines, stand on it, then quickly sit down. Then reverse it to get back on board. Crew pulls me alongside, I stand up and quickly grab a lifeline before I lose balance, then pull myself in.

About half a dozen guests have done it, only once has someone fallen. Then we got to practice an MOB drill.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:04   #23

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Best way to get in a kayak from a sailboat

We have sit in kayaks, one fairly tippy. High freeboard sailboat. We set up a mid ship boarding ladder and two fenders. With the kayak alongside and it’s painter tied you put the paddle where it can be easily reached. Climb down the ladder carefully putting your feet balanced in the Kayak. From now on the ladder is used only to help maintain balance, not for full on support. Sit down on the aft cockpit coaming of the kayak. Reach up, grab the paddle. Put it in the cockpit or tie it to the kayak. Now let go of the ladder. Use two hands and pick your butt up off the coaming and slide into the kayak.
If you are solo, or the last one off the boat you need to do the first steps while holding the painter.

Getting out is the reverse. Paddle out of the way and secure, two hands and hoist your butt onto the coaming, stand up balanced while holding the ladder.

My wife gets the credit for the aft coaming trick. She is also the one who insists on practicing getting into the kayak from the water.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:08   #24

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Whatever you do, I find having the kayak VERY tightly tied to the mother ship, fore and aft, while getting in and out, to be of great help. Good luck!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:09   #25

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Every boat (and kayak) is different so I can only talk about our experience. We have a catamaran with a large aft platform. Attached to this are large, overhanging davits. Our technique is to position the kayak under the platform. step onto the middle of the kayak while holding one of the davits. It is then easy and controlled to lower yourself down until you are sitting. The key is something solid hanging over the kayak that you can use to lower yourself with. If you dont have davits, you could lash a spinnaker pole over the transom or midships. Some boats with high freeboard and no sugar scoop/swim platform would be extremely difficult.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:38   #26

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Another technique that works VERY well:
1. Get a rock climbing harness. (I have one I use for going up the mast as I find it much safer and more comfortable than a bosun's chair). They are readily available at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada or probably REI in the states - and put it on.
2. Secure the kayak tightly alongside.
3. Put a snatch block at the end of the boom.
4. Swing the boom out so the end is over the kayak cockpit and secure in place with preventers.
5. Run a line through the snatch block at the end of the boom and probably another to get a fair lead to a winch.
6. Attach the outboard end of the line to the climbing harness. Pull the line tight and take a couple of turns on the winch.
7. Step off into space over the kayak.
8. Have your accomplice lower you into the dinghy by easing out the line around the winch.

Wear the harness while kayaking. It's not uncomfortable.

To get out of the kayak and back on board:
1. Secure the kayak alongside the mother ship.
2. Attach the hoisting line to the climbing harness.
3. Have your accomplice winch you up and out of the kayak to deck level. It's MUCH easier if you have some kind of electric winch handle. I have a Milwaukee M28 1/2" angle drill (discussed at length in other threads on this forum) which accomplishes this task with ease.
4. Step onto the deck and disconnect the line from the climbing harness.

This technique also works extremely well for getting people who can't otherwise do it, get in and out of a dinghy. It's a little scary the first couple of times dangling in space but you soon start to feel very secure. At NO stage of the process can you fall if the person at the winch end knows what they are doing!

Easy, Peasy!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 22:02   #27

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriz View Post
We enjoy using kayaks from our sailboat, but to get into them we attach a swim ladder to the side of the boat and (very carefully) lower ourselves into a kayak. Getting out and back on board is more challenging.

We are looking at switching boats and wondering if a swim platform is the ticket? Or a transom ladder? We are in the Pacific NW, so not getting wet is high priority.

Any advice out there?
Off our sugar-scoop stern, holding onto a firm handle on the boat, and stepping into the centre. That firm handle is important, as is having the tender or kayak tied to the stern so it can't slide out from under you.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 14:23   #28

My first sailboat had no stern platform, so I bought a folding ladder that hangs from the toe rail and I used that to lower and raise myself to and from the kayak from midships. That still works if there is any swell that makes the stern platform pitch up and down.
I also use either a sit on top kayak, or a large cockpit opening kayak with the boat to make getting in and out easier.
Old 19-10-2020, 06:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenL View Post
I kayak all the time from my boat and find that it is easiest to enter and exit the kayak from amidships at the lifeline gate where there are two strong reinforced stanchions to hold on to. I recently added one of those rubber fenders that is also a step that tie's to the two stanchions. With this method you are holding both stanchions while you slide over the side with your stomach facing the hull of the sailboat. The key is to step into the center of the kayak while your other knee knee is on the rubber step. You are holding onto the stanchions the whole time until the end where you have to let go and drop into the kayak seat. When you exit the kayak everything is done in reverse. This is much easier than from the stern as the boat may be bobbing up and down with the waves and it can be dangerous or even a deadly maneuver. The guests on my boat who don't regularly kayak have no problem with this technique. I am also in the northwest and don't want to get wet.
e

This is exactly the technique we use...my wife is not very agile and our initial method of entry and exit via our narrow swim platform at the stern was quite challenging

We have a side gate with stanchions and a recessed step below it, and using a step fender (or even two) has made entry and exit with kayak lying along sides so much easier and safer
Bathdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:43   #30

Boat: 34 Mainship Pilot

Here is the best advice I ever heard about getting into, out of, or staying on a kayak:

"Always keep your head over the center of the boat."

Credit: Estero River Outfitters, Estero, FL.
makoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Kayak, sail, sailboat