Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 17:47   #46

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky
Re: Best kind of Jet Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Day View Post
I do not like governments interfering in lifestyle politics but I have to say since the government banned jet skis in Sydney Harbour it has made for a significant improvement for all other water sports, particularly for sailboat racing. In all other waterways apart from the Harbour the law currently requires jet skiers keep 200 metres from shore until they beach up. At that point they have to approach perpendicular to the shore line. HOWEVER the majority still scream across the beach in contravention of that law.
Now I have ridden jet ski's in the past and like stink boats I find they are dead boring - and I do like adventure, but jet skiing is not adventure - its just plain boring IMNSHO
Could it be that the Jet Ski riders would find sailing boring?
It is soooooo slooooow.

Possibly the power boats find the sailboats more annoying for getting in their way and insisting on right-of-way? Sailboats want their own set of rules.

I think that it is a bad idea to discriminate against, and ban, some types of boats in favour of others. The water is for everyone as everyone pays taxes to maintain the coast. We gotta SHARE.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 18:21   #47

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Okay, riddle me this- could jet skis be quieter but the manufacturer's leave them loud? Some kind of marketing thing?
Not much of a riddle with a simple "yes" !!
The really idiotic thing is, just like Harley Davidsons, the lawmakers still allow such obnoxious pollution.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 19:16   #48

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
At least (most?) the jet skis disappear at dusk while the music can continue 'till the wee hours.

We were having a debate the other day re whether one would be convicted if one were to remove the driver from the jet ski via 30.06. The outcome seemed to hinge on the "jury of your peers" question.
A friend of mine was a deckhand on a Windjammer Cruise ship (in Florida) in the early 70's (before jetskiis) when they were buzzed by a couple of yahoos in a speedboat. My friend started to pick pieces off the speedboat with his Winchester pump-action 30-30. The yahoos called the cops and my friend was charged with attempted murder. He was acquitted at trial when he was able to convince the judge that, having grown up in rural British Columbia, and having had a rifle in his hand since age five, had he wished to kill the yahoos, they would be dead. He was just trying to drive them away - and he succeeded.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 05:38   #49
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
At least (most?) the jet skis disappear at dusk while the music can continue 'till the wee hours.

We were having a debate the other day re whether one would be convicted if one were to remove the driver from the jet ski via 30.06. The outcome seemed to hinge on the "jury of your peers" question.
Well it took 13 replies until someone took the bait albeit tongue in cheek (I hope). Annoying or disrespectful behavior is not a capital offense and I believe also/even in Canada, bless their hearts. Trespassing is also not a capital offense. Prisons have a sizable population of those who thought otherwise.

Next, there are no jet skis. There are skis for jerks aka jerk skis. Although the jerk who just did a 50 mph loop around your anchored boat at 100', diver down flag and swimmers in the water is deserving he should not be (shot, killed). But on the other hand, the good Lord gave us paint guns.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 05:53   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Jet skis are the Harleys of the sea. Loud, fast, annoying; but honestly, most of their drivers are pretty courteous, in these parts anyway, and they ARE a lot of fun. If you haven't driven one, try it! Thank goodness we don't share anchorages with them
Harleys....the most expensive way to turn gasoline into noise without the by-product of horsepower ever invented...
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 06:53   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
Harleys....the most expensive way to turn gasoline into noise without the by-product of horsepower ever invented...

+1
I was at a shop having my big 400 cc Yamaha serviced when I noticed a clutch of old guys in leathers chatting about their Harleys and their great mileage. I sidled over to join but quickly moved off when I heard them bragging about getting 35-40mpg. Didn't feel I needed to share my 70-80 mpg norm [emoji6].
Old 14-07-2017, 06:58   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Next, there are no jet skis. There are skis for jerks aka jerk skis. Although the jerk who just did a 50 mph loop around your anchored boat at 100', diver down flag and swimmers in the water is deserving he should not be (shot, killed). But on the other hand, the good Lord gave us paint guns.
We must be careful that we do not, ourselves, break the law and invite charges when dealing with those whom we do not like. That is what the Police are for. (although they never are around when we want them, just when we don't).

Also, as jet skis do not have running lights, I believe that it is illegal to drive them after sunset, so at that time the peace and quiet should return, and we can settle back with our beer, cigars, and barbecued ribs. And our ladies, or other "Significant Others".
Old 14-07-2017, 07:16   #53

I have rented jet skis and have had a lot of fun on them. However I never have understood owning one. They are really expensive for what they are (IMHO).

I have seen some guys outfitting them and using them for offshore fishing and I guess I sort of see how that makes sense. You can ride them through just about any kind of seas, they can get you there and back fast and they have great fuel economy compared to a big CC fishing boat.
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 07:27   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I have rented jet skis and have had a lot of fun on them. However I never have understood owning one. They are really expensive for what they are (IMHO).

I have seen some guys outfitting them and using them for offshore fishing and I guess I sort of see how that makes sense. You can ride them through just about any kind of seas, they can get you there and back fast and they have great fuel economy compared to a big CC fishing boat.
Hi Hoosier;
If you think about it, there is almost NEVER a logical reason for owning a pleasure boat, other than pleasure.

I am delighted that your second paragraph then outlines great reasons for owning a Jet Ski. (They really are fun)

For several years I used my 1100 Kawasaki as a volunteer safety boat at CORK (Canadian Olympic Training Regatta, Kingston). As it was amazingly agile and quick, as well as not having a propeller that might injure a sailor in the water, it was deemed the BEST safety boat they ever had. That was DEFINITELY fun. And....THEY paid for the gas.
Old 14-07-2017, 08:13   #55

Boat: 1982 O'day 30

I always wondered why more sailors don't use a jet ski as their dinghy.
BarnaclePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 10:50   #56

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnaclePhil View Post
I always wondered why more sailors don't use a jet ski as their dinghy.
Because they are banned in many areas where one would want to use a dinghy. All US national parks ban them. When I say ban I mean if you show up with one you have to leave and you are not even allowed to claim safe harbor. There was a thread about a guy being told to leave Shark River in Everglades National Park because he was towing a jet ski and he was complaining he had to go out in a 25+knot cold front.

The towing part is another reason. Most jet skis are too heavy to put on davits or a swim platform unless you have a big boat. Towing a dinghy in heavy weather is asking for trouble, especially something that may well weigh 500 pounds. Even for what I will call a short trip from Florida to the Bahamas I can pull the outboard off my inflatable and raise it on davits and secure it for the passage. It would take a really big boat to do that with a jet ski.

A jet ski also lacks a lot of the utility a more conventional inflatable has. I can easily carry two or three peeps in addition to the driver on my inflatable when going to a reef to dive. Also carry four or five jerry cans for water or gas.

I do see some upside to the high speed and ability to turn on a dime a jet has. But a lot of my dinghy use is from a ball or anchor to the dinghy dock to take a shower, buy provisions, or go ashore for some other reason. The trip is usually less than a mile, often much less and as a rule in a no wake zone with very low speed limits. So the jet ski advantages are simply not there.

Bottom line is a jet ski lacks the utility of a conventional dinghy.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 11:52   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Because they are banned in many areas where one would want to use a dinghy. All US national parks ban them. When I say ban I mean if you show up with one you have to leave and you are not even allowed to claim safe harbor. There was a thread about a guy being told to leave Shark River in Everglades National Park because he was towing a jet ski and he was complaining he had to go out in a 25+knot cold front.

The towing part is another reason. Most jet skis are too heavy to put on davits or a swim platform unless you have a big boat. Towing a dinghy in heavy weather is asking for trouble, especially something that may well weigh 500 pounds. Even for what I will call a short trip from Florida to the Bahamas I can pull the outboard off my inflatable and raise it on davits and secure it for the passage. It would take a really big boat to do that with a jet ski.

A jet ski also lacks a lot of the utility a more conventional inflatable has. I can easily carry two or three peeps in addition to the driver on my inflatable when going to a reef to dive. Also carry four or five jerry cans for water or gas.

I do see some upside to the high speed and ability to turn on a dime a jet has. But a lot of my dinghy use is from a ball or anchor to the dinghy dock to take a shower, buy provisions, or go ashore for some other reason. The trip is usually less than a mile, often much less and as a rule in a no wake zone with very low speed limits. So the jet ski advantages are simply not there.

Bottom line is a jet ski lacks the utility of a conventional dinghy.
It is unfortunate that some legislators have discriminated against specific boats.
This is another example of Eddy's Theory of Legislation, which states...
"Legislation can only be written by those who understand nothing of the topic".

However, the purchase of a pleasure boat is almost never a rational or logical decision. It is based on desires and dreams. That is why there are so many different boats on the market. And we all have different boats that make us happy. Vive la difference.
Old 14-07-2017, 14:21   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

Idiot jet skiers are what prompted the Canadian gvt to institute their mandatory boater operator licence. It's a bit of a joke how easy it is to pass, but it must be a barrier to some with little knowledge of safe boating (as all too many jet skiers demonstrate).
Old 14-07-2017, 14:51   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Idiot jet skiers are what prompted the Canadian gvt to institute their mandatory boater operator licence. It's a bit of a joke how easy it is to pass, but it must be a barrier to some with little knowledge of safe boating (as all too many jet skiers demonstrate).
Hi Mike;
I think that it is just another example of "Galloping Bureaucracy".
Old 14-07-2017, 14:58   #60

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
I've always been concerned that one might become tangled in the 20lb monofilament with a 2oz sinker attached while i'm casting from my moored boat.
For this target species I find that much heavier mono and much larger weight is more effective.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote