Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 06:17   #1

Boat: Fortune 30
Audiobook advice

We are leaving for a couple of months sailing with some passagemaking. I can't read books while offshore as it makes me seasick but I would like to try audiobooks. I'm looking for a service provider that offers free downloads (without extra cost to monthly payment) of books and podcasts.

Thing is we currently live in Israel and service providers like Kindle are not available here. Can anybody recommend other cost efficient and good service providers for audiobooks?... preferably with an app that I can listen to off my cellphone.

Robyn
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 06:25   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Audiobook advice

Here in the USA the public library offers audiobooks.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 06:46   #3

We just use an a free app that will take any epub file and read it out loud.

You can choose from several voices and accents. We picked a mild British female voice and it's pretty good.

Occasionally the emphasis on words is a little off (a character screams "no" but the tone of voice never rises when reading it) and it sometimes struggles with unusual words (read a fair bit of sci-fi/fantasy and if a new country or culture has a made up name, it will sometimes spell out the name as it doesn't know how to pronounce it).

But overall does a nice job.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 04:59   #4

My daughter is also a big fan of audio-books and we decided to go with books found in the dark corners of the internet accessible with bittorrent. Audible was quite underwhelming offline.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 05:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
We are leaving for a couple of months sailing with some passagemaking. I can't read books while offshore as it makes me seasick but I would like to try audiobooks. I'm looking for a service provider that offers free downloads (without extra cost to monthly payment) of books and podcasts.

Thing is we currently live in Israel and service providers like Kindle are not available here. Can anybody recommend other cost efficient and good service providers for audiobooks?... preferably with an app that I can listen to off my cellphone.

Robyn
Audible is an Amazon app for mobiles and you can download audio books to your device - phone or tablet. I constantly listen to books in long or even short passages. You can buy any number of credits for books in advance, download the books without an ongoing monthly commitment - or keep the accrued credits for the next opportunity to download new books.
Enjoy the journey!
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 05:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8273 View Post
Here in the USA the public library offers audiobooks.
And how does it help the OP in the Red Sea? Should they get books DVDís at a library in Tel Aviv or Eilat and return it in, say, Bangkok or Athens on their way?
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 05:21   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Besides audiobooks consider downloading a ton of podcasts. They are free and often very interesting, especially on nightwatch. TED talks, Moth, LA Theater Works, Freakononmics, Hidden Brain, Radiolabs just to name a few.
Old 15-06-2021, 06:14   #8

Boat: Oday30

Might also try https://librivox.org/

In most cases, they are read by amateurs/retirees/folks-who-just-want-to, but the catalogue is quite extensive -- mostly public-domain publications, but a lot there nonetheless (I listed to them on my commute quite often).

Oh, they are free...
Old 15-06-2021, 06:48   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
And how does it help the OP in the Red Sea? Should they get books DVDís at a library in Tel Aviv or Eilat and return it in, say, Bangkok or Athens on their way?
Audio books are digital downloads. With a library card you can download and return them anywhere in the world you have internet.
Old 15-06-2021, 16:54   #10

Iím a big fan of Audible, been a member since they launched. I drive a lot for work so audiobooks are a lifesaver. Itís not free but itís reasonable and they have the biggest and newest selection around. You can download entire books in minutes and listen offline, an ongoing internet connection is not needed. You can also return any book you donít like for any reason no questions asked and get your credit back.

My other source for books is libraries. I donít know how it works overseas but in the states all you need is a library card number.
The New York Public Library has thousands of books. If you have friends in the states perhaps they could get you a card number for various libraries? I would expect Israeli libraries to be excellent but I donít know if they work the same way.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 16:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Audio books are digital downloads. With a library card you can download and return them anywhere in the world you have internet.

Very true. A good friend spent, letís call it an extended vacation in Qatar a few years back- he burned through a good portion of our local libraries offerings at the time. And you donít actually have to return them, they just expire from your device.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 01:14   #12

Boat: Still deciding

If you have Spotify they have a number of audiobooks that you can download.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 03:18   #13

Boat: Sold my tri, looking for a cat

If you want to connect to a service that’s blocked in your location, a VPN app such as NordVPN (or most other services) lets you choose to connect from any country they have an internet gateway.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 13:10   #14

I Love audiabooks! It's very convenient.
KateMid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 13:42   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am still old school and look out for audio books in hard copy. We have a fair collection we have picked up from yard sales and op shops. Then we blue tooth to a portable waterproof speaker.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice