Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 06:29   #46

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Anyone know what fish this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

Well, one thing would behoove any angler keeping fish, and that is to know what your fish is. In Florida, the minimum size for greater amberjack is 34" fork length. Guaranteed that the wildlife and fisheries officer knows which fish is which, and ignorance won't keep one from getting a ticket or worse. Believe there is also a regulated season for amberjack in most areas. Jack crevalle are 'unregulated'. By the way, the fish in the OP's post appears to be less than 30" long...
Used to live in Florida. Fishing regulations there are a PITA. I never kept Snook there because of the heavy regulation. So, never ate Snook until I moved to Central America...delicious, and fun to catch too.

One of my favorite fish in Florida was the Blue Stripped Grunt because it was plentiful and unregulated. Not amazingly good, but decent.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 06:34   #47

One of the most delicious fish in the sea is Hogfish. Never have caught one on a line, only spear fishing. Yummm. (Pic lifted from the Internet).

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla
Old 31-07-2016, 07:19   #48

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
My tastes tend to match yours, though you leave out blackfin and yellowfin tuna which, grilled properly, beat them all. Cobia are really good too and can often be caught near shore. I've often wondered though if some of the 'regional preferences' might not have some basis in fact, primarily due to the diet of the fish in question. I know mullet, for instance, are primarily herbivorous and wonder if the difference in their diet from muddy turbid water here to clean clear water 200 miles east of here could be the difference? Or even maybe something to do with the ground water runoff? Mostly through limestone in Florida, but mostly through dirt over here. Haven't actually done the taste test yet but keep threatening to... Just thinking out loud really...

Well, one thing would behoove any angler keeping fish, and that is to know what your fish is. In Florida, the minimum size for greater amberjack is 34" fork length. Guaranteed that the wildlife and fisheries officer knows which fish is which, and ignorance won't keep one from getting a ticket or worse. Believe there is also a regulated season for amberjack in most areas. Jack crevalle are 'unregulated'. By the way, the fish in the OP's post appears to be less than 30" long...
Man starving at sea, catches fish in Florida waters, game warden pulls up. "That fish isn't legal, that's the sea telling you, you must die.!" 😂😂😂😂😂

Sent from my VK810 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:31   #49

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Thanks for all the input, everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:47   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hogs are good eating, and I assume you cant catch them on a line cause I never have, only shot them myself
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 22:31   #51

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hogs are good eating, and I assume you cant catch them on a line cause I never have, only shot them myself
Light fluorocarbon line and the right bait catches them on line. Shrimp or chunks of broken sea urchin work well if one finds it before everything else does.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:27   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Light fluorocarbon line and the right bait catches them on line. Shrimp or chunks of broken sea urchin work well if one finds it before everything else does.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Makes sense, will try that sometime, though keeping everything else on the bottom from taking the bait could be challenging.

Tags
fish