Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2010, 19:45   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Any Wave Runners in Annapolis Area ?

Hi Ya All...

I know most folks here probably really hate PWC but the Ks love em...I would like to rent a Waver Runner for 6 days from July 5-10 out of the Annapolis area... I want to hoist this on the Dingy Davits (anyone know if you can carry 800 lbs on a FP Orana's Dingy Davits?) or tow it behind for the Ks to play around in the evenings... everyone needs to have a GREAT time on this trip... acid test you know... I have checked with at least one outfit up there and they won't let em out of their sight...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 20:09   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
So far everyone has been nice...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 20:52   #3

Forget the PWC - they're fun for 15 minutes and then even the kids realize they're obnoxious and uncool. There's also no challenge to driving the thing.

Rent two kayaks (or even better, two small sailboats like Lasers). Have a few minutes of genuine instruction each evening and then a fun race. Mix it up. Traditional race, scavenger hunt, "riddles". Handicap it to make sure everyone wins at least once. Bring along some real prizes. Even the most jaded teen wants to win - and - though they won't admit it - learn something.

Who knows? It might be the start of a lifelong passion for one of the kids.

Also, on the boat during the day make sure each one has one important job related to moving the boat that is their responsibility. Pick one - Trim the main. Plan the entrance to the harbor. Check the engine oil and keep an eye on the temp - don't let anyone weasel out

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 22:33   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
I want to hoist this on the Dingy Davits (anyone know if you can carry 800 lbs on a FP Orana's Dingy Davits?) or tow it behind for the Ks to play around in the evenings...
...you should be able to carry six Wave Runners on those davits. Best arrangement is to hook three PWCs on each davit, lifted by the bow. No need for stern lines.

If the boat seems a bit sluggish at that point, throw the sails overboard. After all, what's the point of having sails when the Ks want to play around in the evenings?
Old 19-05-2010, 03:57   #5

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...you should be able to carry six Wave Runners on those davits. Best arrangement is to hook three PWCs on each davit, lifted by the bow. No need for stern lines.
On our last cruise we simply jammed our 14 waverunners under the bridge deck when we were done with them each night. They stack nicely under there...and they help keep the cat from flipping over...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 04:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well as much as I hate to lend support to catamarans and PWCs in the same post , from personal experience when a family member brought a jetski to the beach for a week the kids were standing in line to use it the whole week.

Don't know the capacity of the Orana's davits but 800 lbs sounds like a lot for anything less than a megayacht rig.

Safety!!! How old are the kids? Are they experienced in the handling of PWCs? The accident rate is fairly high as the reflex action of most people actually causes accidents. People tend to let off the gas when something is suddenly in front of them they need to avoid. Since PWCs are jet drives, when you let off the gas you have NO control so cannot steer away from a collision. You have to add power to steer. Also they have no reverse so no brakes.

If the company you found is reluctant to let them out of their sight how about offering to put up a deposit to cover the full value of the ski in case of loss or major damage? I would assume their reluctance is based on insurance limitations leaving them at risk for out of pocket coverage in your situation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 04:42   #7

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
I live in the area and checked into PWC rentals last year. You're not going to find a firm that lets you take the PWC with you and return it like a rental car.

Your best bet is to see if anyone on the forum owns one privately and is willing to rent it out to you. ...if you can get anyone to confess to owning one.
Old 19-05-2010, 06:27   #8

Thanks all..

I even offered to buy a used Waver Runner from this outfit in Annapolis with an agreeement they would buy back at some discount if it was returned in same shape... still no interest... so yes, was hoping someone might own up to having one (but knew I was in for a rough time here..)

My Ks are still young 8 & 10, so not sure they would be OK in a kayak alone, I would be worried that they might not get out if they turn over... but great idea and perhaps the way to go...

Ya, 800 lbs sounds heavy to me too... probably have drag the thing behind which would be a PITA... ARGH... maybe too much trouble...

Thanks again..

Cheers
Old 19-05-2010, 11:15   #9

Quote:
My Ks are still young 8 & 10, so not sure they would be OK in a kayak alone, I would be worried that they might not get out if they turn over... but great idea and perhaps the way to go...

s
This depends on the kid - I know some who would be fine kayaking alone. Just have to give them limits up front about how far is OK for them to go.
As for tipping - use sit-on-top models. Unless they're carrying lots of gear or going out in rough, cold water, they don't need sit-inside types, or spray-skirts, or any of that. Boat-life jacket-paddle-water bottle and you're all set. They might not be able to climb back on after falling out (which is pretty easy to avoid), but worst case, they just swim back to your boat, towing the kayak by the bow-loop. (We put an extended line on ours to make it easier to carry & tow.)
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 11:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Captcook,

If you don't feel like the kids are old enough to kayak alone I assume you feel the same about allowing them to run a PWC alone?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 12:13   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
My Ks are still young so not sure they would be OK in a kayak alone, I would be worried that they might not get out if they turn over.
you'll let them on a PWC but you are worried about them being too young for a YAK ??
Old 19-05-2010, 12:27   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Thanks all..

I even offered to buy a used Waver Runner from this outfit in Annapolis with an agreeement they would buy back at some discount if it was returned in same shape... still no interest... so yes, was hoping someone might own up to having one (but knew I was in for a rough time here..)

Ya, 800 lbs sounds heavy to me too... probably have drag the thing behind which would be a PITA... ARGH... maybe too much trouble...

Thanks again..

Cheers
Davit strength? Ask the builder, but it should be in the manual. The normal range is 350-500 pounds unless you ordered something special.

Tow a PWC? It will flip over very easily. I wouldn't try it, not on a bet. It's not like a tender - much higher CG. If it gets rough, what will you do, since it can't come on-deck? A bad scene I would not like to see you suffer through.

If they are 8 and 10, they will have fun on your cat. The tender should be all the fun they can possibly stand. Take them to the beaches. Dive off the boat.

My blog (below) is about a cat and some of my trips with my daughter (mostly when she was 9-14). Please read the older trip reports (Sail Delmarva: Trip Report - 2009 Delmarva Circumnavigation.), and you might enjoy this guide (Sail Delmarva: "Circumnavigation the Delmarva Pensinsula" book summary). We had absolutly no need for a wave runner to have fun. Last year she got her MD vessel operators permit, and I haven't seen the tender since!

There is no specific age limit for operating a tender in MD; she was 13 and that seemed reasonable for her level of responsibility. However, PWC operators must be 16.
Old 19-05-2010, 19:23   #13

Guys...they have to be 16 to run a PWC in MD, I was just going to take them for rides and pull em behind on a tube or something... I have been upside down in a Kayak on a river... was a bit scary... but as was mentioned they do have those sit on top type now and that is a good idea that I will look into..they can have water fights...they swim well, I am not worried about them in the water...just getting caught upside down and panicing...

I was wonder myself what I would do with that thing if the water got rough..I know the Jet Skis are hard to tow as I had one for many years in SW FLA...but I was thinking the Wave Runners would Tow OK...but you have a good point about rough weather...

Thanks again for all the help and input... now to go see who rents "Seayaks"...

cheers
Old 19-05-2010, 20:27   #14

Don't know about rentals...but you can often pick them up and just buy them pretty cheap - like $200-$300 for ones that have cosmetic damage, that would have been twice that if "perfect".
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis