Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 18:11   #151

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblinfog View Post
Redford is a rabid progressive. I will not spend my money supporting his endeavors.
So site unseen you post political opinion.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 07:11   #152

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post

It lost all credibility with us. Immediately, and irrevocably. SOS? huh? what is this - 1917? It's called Mayday for starters,
If you must see it (And I had to), wait for netflix.
Maybe I'm giving the director/screenwriter too much credit, but in the absence of any meaningful backstory perhaps this not too subtle "mistake" was our first indication that this is not an experienced blue water sailor and we should expect more errors in judgement along the way.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 12:32   #153

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

I think I'll see it for what it is ,.... a movie.

You can pick apart any movie if you have the technical expertise but I'll be going for the entertainment value.

I already have books, CD's and DVD's on how to sail and I somehow doubt that Mr. Redford's intention was to teach the in's and out's of disaster recovery. Kinda like how "The Lord of the Rings" wasn't meant to be a 'how-to' on the disposal of magic artifacts.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 13:09   #154

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
There is probably more BS in this forum than the movie? But this forum is often entertaining as well having a some nuggets of great information.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 13:19   #155

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisthos View Post
How many sailboats get a big hole in the hull by a container every year?
I'll bet a LOT more boats run aground than hit cargo containers every year.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 13:38   #156

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

People, relax.

This is not a documentary. What movie about anything isn't full of technical errors? Pick any movie about space or mountaineering. Laws of physics are regularly suspended. I'm sure the NASA guys dumped all over Gravity. for example.

While I have yet to see the film, it seems to me it's more a story about life. One travels through life essentially alone, making decisions and taking actions against the backdrop of the environment you are in. Sometimes you make good decisions, sometimes bad. When you are alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean (without an EPIRB) your comfort or agony or even life or death lie with the consequences of your decisions and actions. The import of life's decisions are amplified due to potential consequences. This is the beauty and empowerment of singlehanded sailing, and why some are drawn to it.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 14:16   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
I already have books, CD's and DVD's on how to sail and I somehow doubt that Mr. Redford's intention was to teach the in's and out's of disaster recovery. Kinda like how "The Lord of the Rings" wasn't meant to be a 'how-to' on the disposal of magic artifacts.
Oh darn. Now what am I going to do with that weird gold ring I found in the creek in my back yard?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 22:43   #158

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
There is probably more BS in this forum than the movie?
Man...ain't that the truth!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 23:42   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
wouldn't it make sense to deal with the ingress of water first, before disengaging the container and opening an even larger hole?
Kinda tough to patch a hole in your boat while the thing that caused it is still poking through into your cabin. Your hull isn't getting water-tight until that thing is gone, yeah?
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:47   #160
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
People, relax.

This is not a documentary. What movie about anything isn't full of technical errors? Pick any movie about space or mountaineering. Laws of physics are regularly suspended. I'm sure the NASA guys dumped all over Gravity. for example.

While I have yet to see the film, it seems to me it's more a story about life. One travels through life essentially alone, making decisions and taking actions against the backdrop of the environment you are in. Sometimes you make good decisions, sometimes bad. When you are alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean (without an EPIRB) your comfort or agony or even life or death lie with the consequences of your decisions and actions. The import of life's decisions are amplified due to potential consequences. This is the beauty and empowerment of singlehanded sailing, and why some are drawn to it.
I saw the movie last night. Mal, your assessment is right on. And yes, I work at NASA and we can shoot lots of technical holes in Gravity, but it does capture the feeling of being in space, alone, and marooned.

All is Lost captures the challenges and process of surviving the unexpected at sea -- alone. As a single-hander who has survived similar sea states in a smaller vessel, I really relived those experiences in this movie. From a human standpoint - what it feels like to be in such a situation - the movie is extraordinarily accurate. It also displays the consequences of some terrible-but-common errors: not having an EPIRB or even waterproof self-powered radios, not knowing when to use a sea anchor to avoid being rolled by a wave taken abeam, giving up the ship before she actually sinks, and not wearing a helmet in rough conditions (I wear one even in benign conditions because it's warm, doesn't fly off in the wind, and provides a convenient place to attach a light).

Those who have never ventured far out to sea alone on a sailboat may not recognize the acceptance of uncontrollable fate or the quality of calm and carefully calculated action the film portrayed (essential survival skills that racing may never teach you).

The character is truly human - not some super-human buccaneer. Along with his careful consideration of tactics, you really feel his exhaustion, determination and despair. I think it's the best at-sea survival movie yet.

The only surprise was the character's possession of a sextant. How many sailors these days are that salty?
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:22   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have two I don't know how to use.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:38   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I saw the movie last night. Mal, your assessment is right on. And yes, I work at NASA and we can shoot lots of technical holes in Gravity, but it does capture the feeling of being in space, alone, and marooned.
Definitely lots of technical booboos but at least they didn't have explosions in the vacuum of space that went boom and the debris whizzing by didn't make zooming sounds. That one just drives me crazy.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15   #163
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

what a disappointment. i have my $50, in hand, to go see this, and its not even opening anywhere by me? the first movie i will be happy to go blackbeard on.
i mean really, they have the glen beck live stream, and they cant even do all is lost?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36   #164

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
People, relax.

This is not a documentary.
Exactly. It's not a training film which would be quite boring; it's a movie. Relax and enjoy it.

I'm thinking it's partially based on Stephen Callahan's ordeal where his boat sank, and he drifted 3/4 of the way across the Atlantic in a 6 man Avon Life raft. He didn't have an EPIRB either.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20   #165

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

I'm dumb founded that they have "captain Phillips" streaming, but not all is lost... it seems that All is lost has better reviews...
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie