Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 11:11   #16

Re: A case for the sailing YouTuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
some role models here.....screwing it up for the rest of the cruising community,in real time youtube style...........

Wow, thats hard to watch. They probably won’t be around long.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:17   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
personally,and with no predjudice against you.
i think that the worst thing to happen to cruising was the GPS and Jimmy cornell who through his many books promoted independent cruising.

this has resulted in almost all countries levying some sort of anchoring restriction and tax on cruising,couple that with overcrowding,price gouging, marina monopoly price fixing cruising permits etc.

you tubers ,sailing and promoting the lifestyle will lead to its ultimate demise for the average cruiser of modest means.

social media will also lead to unfavorable realtime exposure of less than favorable reports in popular cruising destinations forcing more rules and regulations on cruising yachts by proxy of the less than low profile youtubers.

enjoy it whilst it lasts,in 20 years time you will wish you had told nobody,as you share your remote anchorage with 200 other yachts,and cannot visit any main anchorage due to the $100 a night anchoring fee..........
Interesting and legit perspective. What to be done though? The world shall continue to get smaller, more spoilt, more privatized and more regulated.

Even if all cruisers suppressed the documentary impulse and all adhered rigidly to the 'leave no wake' ethic, what happens to the world's cruising grounds over time?

In most places, it's probably beneficial there is some way for the local economies and govts to benefit from the existence of cruisers, however small that contribution is.

Just my take. The baseline for me is that cruisers respect the freedoms the cruising live provides by fostering a healthy respect for the sea and the lands they visit.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:39   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove1955 View Post
First - Anyone who has ever done any serious, quality video work knows it takes hours and hours to complete a project, and that's working from the comfort of a studio, not a rocking sailboat with minimal access to internet which in some countries is dreadfully slow.
Completely agree. It is hard work making quality content. And it’s even harder to make it pay. I have nothing but respect for those who do it well. And I’m pleased to see some make decent bucks doing it. I personally have no interest in these sailing vlogs, but all the power to them who make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove1955 View Post
Second - Look what the Youtubers are doing for the sailing community. People who were fearful previously, have now taken the leap. There are lots of instructional tips and plenty of honest, transparent mistakes showing what not to do as well.
Is there any evidence that this is the case? I can’t find it, and certainly don’t see it “out here.” Like I said, I think these vlogs take the place of the glossy mags of old (and still current). They mostly appeal to the cubicle dreamer; very few of which will ever make the leap to cruising. All the data I’m aware of indicates there are fewer young people taking up sailing and cruising.

I personally think Youtubers promote sitting on your duff, watching youtube. And with the necessity of always being connected, I think remote anchorages are becoming less popular, not more. But perhaps I have a skewed perspective… Love to see actual data on this.
Old 27-08-2018, 12:03   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I dont know if anybody has noticed this yet but everything costs more money for the average cruiser of modest means. My slip cost $100 more this year than last year and groceries cost more by the day. As far as young people starting to cruise, I only know of 1 person that is younger than me with a sailboat at my local marina. Cant blame YT for that.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:08   #20

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
some role models here.....screwing it up for the rest of the cruising community,in real time youtube style...........

Yikes!! OK, I'll admit, these people are verboten. I couldn't watch it all the way through. YT did provide a platform for these people to identify themselves as detestable. Got to thank YT for that!
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:09   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Look at it this way, Breena. Some folks get paid five million dollars a year to bang heads and toss balls and try to win the SuperBowl.

I don't get it. The fans will pay a grand for a good seat to watch big men butt heads?

I say, give 'em all tomahawks and the surviving team at the end of the year gets the whole pot. Bloodball. Now, for that I could understand all that money changed hands and all the fascinated fans.

And they actually charge IN ADVANCE, no refund if you didn't like the performance. Asking for money on YouTube or Patreon doesn't seem to be such a vile thing. Every time I turn on PBS or NBC, they hammer me mercilessly to send someone money.

I don't get it.

But here, I thought you called it the "Millenial Falcon" because every time you tried to engage hyperdrive, the prop shaft would fall out.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:13   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
I dont know if anybody has noticed this yet but everything costs more money for the average cruiser of modest means. My slip cost $100 more this year than last year and groceries cost more by the day. As far as young people starting to cruise, I only know of 1 person that is younger than me with a sailboat at my local marina. Cant blame YT for that.
Agreed. Like I said earlier, I think economics is the main driver. Cruising is a affluent western world phenomena. The generations following the Baby Boom are less wealthy. This, more than anything else, will drive the decline in sailing and cruising.
Old 27-08-2018, 12:16   #23

Quote:

Oh... my. Words fail me... That is so bad, on so many levels...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 13:18   #24

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I personally think Youtubers promote sitting on your duff, watching youtube. And with the necessity of always being connected, I think remote anchorages are becoming less popular, not more. But perhaps I have a skewed perspective… Love to see actual data on this.
We have noticed this everywhere we have been, from SE Asia to Central America. Cruisers tend to cluster in areas where there are other cruisers, restaurants, shopping, internet, phone service etc. We recently spent a month in the northern Sea of Cortez without seeing another boat, while the anchorages on mainland Mexico were packed.

Over recent years we have met hundreds of cruisers, but only a small handful in their 30's. I don't recall any in their 20's. This is almost the opposite of what I noticed in the '80's, when it seemed like the majority of cruisers were young.

If YouTube can inspire younger sailors to get out and cruise, I see that as a good thing. At 60 I am tired of being the 'kid' in the group.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 14:06   #25

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Nothing to be ashamed about, you are providing a service by producing content for entertainment.

Also, I have a house for sale in Soldotna/sterling... If you are interested. Total cost of upkeep including natural gas and taxes last year was 1200$. We built the house, then decided to make Sitka our home port, so it is brand new. Solar + generator for power. Natural gas heat.
https://www.jackwhite.com/property/2...-alaska-99672/

Also, I think we may have met, in SBS. I have a large beard.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 14:40   #26

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Bad link, try this one https://www.alaskarealestate.com/Sea...OVXGg==&esf=MA
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:44   #27

Boat: Searunner, 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
I get the feeling there are cruisers here that feel they have the right to go cruising and anybody that came along after him should not be able to
I have to be honest I've been guilty of this as well, that feeling when you find the perfect place and don't want to tell anyone about it so it isn't filled with boats the next season, but you are absolutely right, everyone has a right to be out here and the sailing community is so wonderful, inevitably, we share our experiences to , hopefully, add to that community.
AKscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 07:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
Nothing to be ashamed about, you are providing a service by producing content for entertainment.

Also, I think we may have met, in SBS. I have a large beard.
Hey Joel!! We remember you, of course, working at Blazy it's hard to forget our SBS family! Happy for you and your move to Sitka, from what I hear, it's a beautiful spot. We still have our yurt, so we aren't in need of a home, but it's a great little place in a prime spot, should go fast! Good luck in your move
Old 28-08-2018, 07:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Fantastic post Breena! I have huge regard for people that can YouTube well and so pull in significant audiences. You discuss articles in various magazenes that allowed people to live vicariously through others experiences. There were/are plenty of books too.
Please be my friend and I would love a sticker even if only a virtual one as I'm a long way away. But hey I ticked subscribe and will follow your adventures with much interest and excitement.
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement!
Old 28-08-2018, 08:01   #30

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
personally,and with no predjudice against you.
i think that the worst thing to happen to cruising was the GPS and Jimmy cornell who through his many books promoted independent cruising.

this has resulted in almost all countries levying some sort of anchoring restriction and tax on cruising,couple that with overcrowding,price gouging, marina monopoly price fixing cruising permits etc.

you tubers ,sailing and promoting the lifestyle will lead to its ultimate demise for the average cruiser of modest means.

social media will also lead to unfavorable realtime exposure of less than favorable reports in popular cruising destinations forcing more rules and regulations on cruising yachts by proxy of the less than low profile youtubers.

enjoy it whilst it lasts,in 20 years time you will wish you had told nobody,as you share your remote anchorage with 200 other yachts,and cannot visit any main anchorage due to the $100 a night anchoring fee..........
I'm not sure about that, I am inclined to agree with Mike. IMHO we've reached peak prosperity, very few people in prior generations could afford to go cruising even though it was cheaper. Over the last 10-15 years more and more, including younger people have been able to get out there due artificially created affluence (asset bubbles, easy credit etc) . Personally I believe the ease at which most have financed adventurous lives is coming to an end. Time will tell.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing