Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 07:00   #1

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
12v TV

Looking for a recommendation for a 12v HD TV 22"-24". Please recommend based on experience.

Thanks
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 12v TV

Apologize for my stupid question, but aren't 12V TV's, essentially just TV's with an invertor built in?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Apologize for my stupid question, but aren't 12V TV's, essentially just TV's with an invertor built in?
It's sort of a specialized market - RVs, truckers, boats. When was the last time you saw a 22" TV for home use?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:26   #4
F51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Looking for a recommendation for a 12v HD TV 22"-24". Please recommend based on experience.

Thanks
We could not find a 12v in that size range, so we wound up with a 23" Vizio. When away from the dock, we run it on one of the small cigarette lighter-style inverters--a 150w unit works fine. You do have to accept a slight inefficiency though.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:32   #5

Ok, I will make this easier. The four brands I have found are Naxa, Supersonic, Axess and Majestic. These are all TVs that can deal with over-voltage that you may encounter with a truck/mobile home/boat. Does anyone have any real world experience with these brands?

Many LED Tvs actually step down to DC voltage using a power brick. Why would they install an internal inverter to step back to AC?

There are still plenty of home class TVs in the 20-26" range. The LED screen themselves are produced for computer monitors and many people want smaller TVs for small spaces like kitchens and even bathrooms. Search on Amazon and you will find many. Not everyone wants a 60" TV.

There are plenty of TVs that are built for home use that have a power brick with a 12v output. You could wire one of these direct but they may not survive the higher voltage from a battery charger or alternator.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 28-01-2014, 07:47   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Visio M190MV. Has 12V 3 amp input to the tv from its ac brick. Found mine at Target.
Old 28-01-2014, 07:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For my RV, I bought a couple from tigerdirect, but they are 110V, but way cheaper than specialized "RV" TV's
Recertified TVs, Recertified Televisions at TigerDirect.com
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:52   #8

I bought an LCD TV from Walmart for $100, and the inverter cost another $25. Now I've got an inverter which is handy for other things.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 07:52   #9

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

I have a Naxa but it is only 13". It has a built in DVD player. Works well but the viewing angles are not very good. Wife and I have to sit on the same setee to watch it.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 08:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Ok, I will make this easier. The four brands I have found are Naxa, Supersonic, Axess and Majestic. These are all TVs that can deal with over-voltage that you may encounter with a truck/mobile home/boat. Does anyone have any real world experience with these brands?

Many LED Tvs actually step down to DC voltage using a power brick. Why would they install an internal inverter to step back to AC?

There are still plenty of home class TVs in the 20-26" range. The LED screen themselves are produced for computer monitors and many people want smaller TVs for small spaces like kitchens and even bathrooms. Search on Amazon and you will find many. Not everyone wants a 60" TV.

There are plenty of TVs that are built for home use that have a power brick with a 12v output. You could wire one of these direct but they may not survive the higher voltage from a battery charger or alternator.
We bought ours from RoadTrucker.com. The other brand that you are missing is Skyworth...

Ours is a 22" RCA with built in DVD player. Works well and draws minimal power.
Old 28-01-2014, 09:03   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Given the sightlines of the average saloon, 22 inches is going to look huge. Something I'm going to rig is the sort of powder-anodized armature that can fold the screen up against the underside of the cabin top, latched and lashed, of course, to keep it in place.

That avoids the (to me) unpleasant sight of a flat panel against a bulkhead and allows adjustments for people in berths.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:52   #12

Boat: Catalina 387

I have a Naxa (came with the boat).. It's kind of a POS. Audio sucks, video is less than stellar. Viewing angle is poor. It kinda screams cheap.

Caveat: I've only turned it on 3-4 times to see if it worked. Not too impressed. Audio made it unwatchable. Possibly it's broken, possibly it just sucks.

I'd love to try the Visio M190MV mentioned above - most likely there's a regulator circuit that will handle some overvoltage already in there. Maybe not. Easy enough to look inside to tell. (Or build a simple regulated 12v supply with a LM1085-12 or similar)

The real advantage of 12v supply is you don't get the inefficiencies of inverting to 110v, then the power supply in the TV drops it back down to whatever DCv it uses internally.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:59   #13

I have jensen 32in 12 volt. Have had it 3 years and has been flawless.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 10:10   #14

I forgot about Skyworth and Jensen.

The Naxa is at the bottom of my list after speaking with their support people!
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 28-01-2014, 10:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I have a Naxa (came with the boat).. It's kind of a POS. Audio sucks, video is less than stellar. Viewing angle is poor. It kinda screams cheap.
Generally any of the small LCDs will have poor sound, a function of small speakers in a small case. If the TV cost $99, how much of the budget went into speakers?

The fix is to connect the aux input of your stereo (assuming you have one) to the TV, and play the sound through your quality stereo speakers (TV sounds good through my Realistic Minimus 7s).
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote