Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 04:20   #1

wrong time wrong place?

Am new here and greetings to all around are in order! I am moored at South Harbour Helgoland and slightly stuck here by brevity of weather windows in combination with volatility of forecasts. Have been delayed in my schedule by storm damage to my Carter 30's rigging and lengthy repairs in my 650nm passage Riga - Simrishamn - Fehmarn - Brunsbuettel - Cuxhaven - Helgoland.
The intention was to beat the onset of winter temperatures (and condensation) by moving W and S. Having had a shroud torn and a loosish forestay (i.e. furler genoa) I am not inclined to damage the boat again because life must go on.
From my mid November moorings locality you would quite logically assume that I'm either nuts or a teenager. The former might still apply but I'm 69 come Jan,2016 and prior to retirement worked as Insurance guy and Manager of Maritime disasters with a big tanker operating shipping company. The size of my boat (or rather lack of it) doesn't imply that I was too honest or underpaid - simply I find 30' of boat the best tonnage (moreover - windage) to be moved around in a strange marina in stream and wind, besides, it is a boat that behaves well in bad weather. Also, half of my pension goes to my 3 teenager kids and my freshly divorced wife. I am a single hander not by my choice, merely my companions do not click with my bad weather sailing manner. Fenders are being punished heavily every other day by stormy winds in the rather open harbour area and I have cut polistirol to fit into my hatches and portholes (inside of course) - I might apply for patent in this because it works wonders. In case weather stays as bad as it is and my repairs are slow I am considering staying put for the winter season...
Sorry for my introduction having expanded into so much trivial detail.
The question is - has anybody celebrated Xmas aboard a small boat on a North Sea island ?
uldinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 04:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: wrong time wrong place?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, uldinch.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 05:08   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"The question is - has anybody celebrated Xmas aboard a small boat on a North Sea island ?"

not on a north sea island, but i been alone on christmas in a 25 ft sloop, in a 26 ft sloop, and usually these days, alone in a 41 ft ketch on holidays.
it aint what yer in, its what is in you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 05:13   #4

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

hi Uldinch,
the next days are going to get cold out there but the ferry to Cuxhaven is going all year in case you need a break.
usualy there will be a weather window before christmas that should enable you to get to the south coast of england, which is way more friendly to winter cruising, so i am told.
alternatively you can go towards Emden and do the dutch channels towards the Ijselmeer.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 07:58   #5

Boat: Hunter 33.6

Happy holidays uldinch
There are a lot of us around the world that single hand and are alone during the holidays. Zeehag said it eloquently. I wish you luck on the repairs and your travels.
Captain Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:32   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dammit i didnt remember to write happy christmas.. and welcome.
happy christmas and welcome......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:39   #7

Quote:
wrong time wrong place?
To answer your question: YES !!! ;-)

But good luck and I wish you a good weather opportunity to escape Helgoland asap. But the Northsea and English Channel should not to be underestimated this time of the year.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:41   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Are you worried santa won't find your chimney?

Unless you are religious, the holidays are about family and friends. If you are freshly divorced, and alone, that might be a challenge, but it doesn't relate to being on a sailboat.

I love being alone on my boat. No one to irritate me. Quiet solitude. I can't think of a better way to spend the holidays.

If you are looking for sailing friends, you have come to the right place. Glad to meet you. You now have a new friend in Canada. My name is Dave.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:45   #9

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Keep your chin up Uldinch. "It's the hell served up for breakfast that is hard to take."
Zeehag said it correctly....that being said I wish you good health, a warm and dry place to sleep, and eventually a companion that enjoys the sea faring life. Maybe you have some of that Viking blood in you and are hardy enough to withstand that ill mannered weather. Too much weather for these old bones.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:50   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Welcome and happy holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uldinch View Post
The question is - has anybody celebrated Xmas aboard a small boat on a North Sea island ?

Not on a North Sea island, but I'll be alone (well - I'm counting on my cat to stay ) this December as well.

Zeehag said it beautifully

Being alone can be very hard for some people, others don't mind at all (and plenty of people in between). Doesn't really matter if you're on a big boat or small, or in a regular house on land.

I don't mind being alone; my boat may be small but she's comfy, and with the heater on, something to eat and drink and a few good movies and/or books, I'm good to go.

Hope your repairs go well, keep us up to date
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:19   #11

Boat: Downeaster 38

Ernest Shackleton. If you start there, Helgoland in the winter might seem like a tropical breeze.
Good for you for getting out there! Good luck this winter!
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:56   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uldinch View Post
Am new here and greetings to all around are in order! I am moored at South Harbour Helgoland and slightly stuck here by brevity of weather windows in combination with volatility of forecasts. Have been delayed in my schedule by storm damage to my Carter 30's rigging and lengthy repairs in my 650nm passage Riga - Simrishamn - Fehmarn - Brunsbuettel - Cuxhaven - Helgoland.
The intention was to beat the onset of winter temperatures (and condensation) by moving W and S. Having had a shroud torn and a loosish forestay (i.e. furler genoa) I am not inclined to damage the boat again because life must go on.
From my mid November moorings locality you would quite logically assume that I'm either nuts or a teenager. The former might still apply but I'm 69 come Jan,2016 and prior to retirement worked as Insurance guy and Manager of Maritime disasters with a big tanker operating shipping company. The size of my boat (or rather lack of it) doesn't imply that I was too honest or underpaid - simply I find 30' of boat the best tonnage (moreover - windage) to be moved around in a strange marina in stream and wind, besides, it is a boat that behaves well in bad weather. Also, half of my pension goes to my 3 teenager kids and my freshly divorced wife. I am a single hander not by my choice, merely my companions do not click with my bad weather sailing manner. Fenders are being punished heavily every other day by stormy winds in the rather open harbour area and I have cut polistirol to fit into my hatches and portholes (inside of course) - I might apply for patent in this because it works wonders. In case weather stays as bad as it is and my repairs are slow I am considering staying put for the winter season...
Sorry for my introduction having expanded into so much trivial detail.
Find a local bar.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 14:53   #13

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

A stove

A boat close by

Good lines

Heavy covers

Good food, books. And VICES
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 02:38   #14

Ooooh, huge thanx to all the friendly contributors!

Two elaborations, though - have I sounded too sentimental in my post? It was I who insisted on the divorce because my voyage plan is extremely loose and Freedom is the key word. The only anchor dragging me back one day will be my kids. My single handed mode fits my mentality perfectly and yep, I've got tons of books (also audio ones) onboard.
Of course, now and then my mood changes dramatically, but always within the scope of 'good' and 'very good'.

But, on a more serious note, I have omitted to mention my boat's name which happens to be 'Single Malt'. Considering that Helgoland boasts the Tax Free zone privilege and the offer of quality booze is SOO stunning here, why not call it Paradise#1 of my voyage.

And a timely Merry Xmas back to all of you in case I'm somewhat oblivious and under effect of the 'name-of-my-boat' factor...!
uldinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 02:43   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Alas poor Uldnich .....we know you well!

Welcome to CF :thumbup:
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote